To those who can hear high frequency - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

To those who can hear high frequency

post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
To those who can hear high frequency

I'm slowly putting my loop together and finally got to hear a d5 pump for the first time at full speed....

There is a high pitched noise that is very loud to me. There is a clear distinction between the motor noise and the high pitched noise. Unfortunately the video I recorded shows the opposite. The pump motor sounds louder than the high pitched noise. It is still present in the video and once I shut the pump off at 22 seconds you can clearly hear the noise stop. Go back and fourth between the moment the pump is on and off.

My dad who can not hear high frequency could not hear it, so to those who CAN hear high frequency and know what a normal D5 pump sounds like, is this normal ?

First video will be mine and the second video I found more accurately gives an example of what its like IRL when he turns on his "good" pump.

Last edited by NewType88; 02-04-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 01:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
The sound of the good pump in the second pump is also what my 2 D5's sound like at full RPM. The "bad" D5 in the video have a lot of bubbles in the water and maybe some trapped air in the pumphousing. I bet it will also sound OK once it's fully bled.

Just turn down the pump a little if the noise bother you too much. Somewhere between 3000-4400 is optimal for me for performance to noise ratio. And around 1800rpm for pure silence.
Since I have an Aquaero and a PWM D5, I setup a 2 step controller with 2 fixed speeds for my D5. 1500rpm for low loads/idle and 4300rpm for high performance. The pump is controlled by how much the water warms up between the outlet and inlet and inlet of my radiator.

My Rig
(18 items)
CPU
Intel i7 8700k
Motherboard
Asus Hero X
GPU
MSI 1080TI Gaming X
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000C15
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair RM850X
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO
Cooling
Dual Hardware Labs Nemesis 360GTS with FD Venturi HP-12 PWM fans
Cooling
EK D5 PWM
Cooling
EK 1080 Strix waterblock + backplate
Case
Fractal Design Define R6
Operating System
Windows Pro 10
Monitor
Acer XB271HU 1440p 165hz IPS
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Zowie FK-2
Mousepad
Steel Series QCK Heavy
Audio
Sennheiser HD598 + ModMic 4.0
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by broodro0ster View Post
The sound of the good pump in the second pump is also what my 2 D5's sound like at full RPM. The "bad" D5 in the video have a lot of bubbles in the water and maybe some trapped air in the pumphousing. I bet it will also sound OK once it's fully bled.

Just turn down the pump a little if the noise bother you too much. Somewhere between 3000-4400 is optimal for me for performance to noise ratio. And around 1800rpm for pure silence.
Since I have an Aquaero and a PWM D5, I setup a 2 step controller with 2 fixed speeds for my D5. 1500rpm for low loads/idle and 4300rpm for high performance. The pump is controlled by how much the water warms up between the outlet and inlet and inlet of my radiator.
Hi !
Ya I was only concerned about his working pump noise. So you hear that high pitch noise as well and that's normal ? I ended up buying the WC vario d5 pump and that noise is made at every setting except 1.

I was only testing the pump through my pcie pass through for leaks, so there is no resistance in the loop yet. I wonder if that will make a difference when the pump is now having to push through the rad (mo-ra3) and my GPU bock ? Ill be adding the cpu block later.

My hearing is really good and when I have a almost dead quiet system that high frequency is going to drive me crazy like a dog whistle !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 11:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 55 (Unique: 51)
The reason I moved from water to air, D5 was even audible @ the lowest setting.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

[QUOTE=outofmyheadyo;27840028]The reason I moved from water to air, D5 was even audible @ the lowest setting.[/QUOTE

I’m ok with the minor noise of the pump even at full speed, it’s just that high pitch. Hopefully someone with really good hearing can tell me their d5 doesn’t do the same.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 03:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
This is what my D5 vario sounds like at full speed:

But’s noisy between level 2 and 3. Level 1 is super quiet, but not enough flow for a big loop. That why I prefer PWM now. The D5 vario is only for testing and testing parts in a loop on the bench.

My Rig
(18 items)
CPU
Intel i7 8700k
Motherboard
Asus Hero X
GPU
MSI 1080TI Gaming X
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000C15
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair RM850X
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO
Cooling
Dual Hardware Labs Nemesis 360GTS with FD Venturi HP-12 PWM fans
Cooling
EK D5 PWM
Cooling
EK 1080 Strix waterblock + backplate
Case
Fractal Design Define R6
Operating System
Windows Pro 10
Monitor
Acer XB271HU 1440p 165hz IPS
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Zowie FK-2
Mousepad
Steel Series QCK Heavy
Audio
Sennheiser HD598 + ModMic 4.0
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 03:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 455 (Unique: 387)
I had to fully decouple mine to have it as quiet as I wanted, if you fix it to a res or the case or anything else it acts as a sound board and amplifies any sound. I ended up with the pump (D5 vario with an EK top) resting on two squares of gel with just soft tubing connecting it to the rest of the system. Before moving it to the bottom of the case sitting on gel when I changed cases I had it hanging off the top rad in mid air by the tubes. Both worked equally well.

I live in an isolated cottage with quite low ambient noise, at setting 3 it didn't make any noise and I had to touch it to be sure it was working.

post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 04:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by Darren9 View Post
I ended up with the pump (D5 vario with an EK top) resting on two squares of gel with just soft tubing connecting it to the rest of the system.
Which gel do you use?
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 05:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 455 (Unique: 387)
Quote: Originally Posted by mumford View Post
Which gel do you use?
I only had to look for and buy it once and that was six or seven years ago, I have looked through old emails but can't find it. I just can't remember what it was called. One of the UK watercooling stores sold it, cut into rough squares from a big sheet, clear and about 2cm thick.

post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 05:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by Darren9 View Post
I only had to look for and buy it once and that was six or seven years ago, I have looked through old emails but can't find it. I just can't remember what it was called. One of the UK watercooling stores sold it, cut into rough squares from a big sheet, clear and about 2cm thick.
Thanks for looking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in