A custom water loop for 2990WX? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

A custom water loop for 2990WX?

Old 02-05-2019, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
JunkoXan is an unknown quantity at this point JunkoXan is an unknown quantity at this point

A custom water loop for 2990WX?

I'm actually looking at upgrading my current Threadripper (1950x) for the 2990WX, I know the 2990WX can get pretty toasty when loaded fully so I'm leaning towards to custom loop setup to keep it as cool as possible (I've seen reviews of the Wraith Ripper Air coolers, Noctua and Silver Arrow even on those it can get a little toasty). how can a newcomer come into this field able to figure out what's needed and so on (other than from the obvious) to build a complete loop for the CPU alone? reliability and complexity are my factors mainly while cost is minimal of a factor but not a big hit as a whole.

Thank you,

JunkoXan

P.S I am getting a new case (Carbide Series Air 540 Cube Case) as well since my current is only a temporary and it is destroying my AIO through suffocation (temps are skyrocketing to nearly 80c on light game loading as I play at 4k) which the pump can be heard failing day in and day out..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2019, 08:50 PM
New to Overclock.net
J7SC

Quote: Originally Posted by JunkoXan View Post
I'm actually looking at upgrading my current Threadripper (1950x) for the 2990WX, I know the 2990WX can get pretty toasty when loaded fully so I'm leaning towards to custom loop setup to keep it as cool as possible (I've seen reviews of the Wraith Ripper Air coolers, Noctua and Silver Arrow even on those it can get a little toasty). how can a newcomer come into this field able to figure out what's needed and so on (other than from the obvious) to build a complete loop for the CPU alone? reliability and complexity are my factors mainly while cost is minimal of a factor but not a big hit as a whole.

Thank you,

JunkoXan

P.S I am getting a new case (Carbide Series Air 540 Cube Case) as well since my current is only a temporary and it is destroying my AIO through suffocation (temps are skyrocketing to nearly 80c on light game loading as I play at 4k) which the pump can be heard failing day in and day out..

I just finished a custom-loop 2950X / MSI MEG Creation (separate loop for 2x GPUs, and the CPU). The easiest thing to decide if you go 'custom loop' is the choice of CPU block > the Watercool 'Heakiller IV TR', which is at/near the top in most tests and can handle a 2990X w/o problem .
Beyond that, I would recommend at least a 360x60 rad w/ at least 3x120mm fans, and a D5pump / reservoir combo. That would be the 'standard' approach, though there are a variety of different options (also depending on whether you plan to oc the 2990x and how far if so), i.e. separate pump and reservoir instead of a combo, multiple rads etc.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:33 PM
⤷ αC
AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about

Second the heatkiller recommendation.

https://www.xtremerigs.net/2018/08/2...w-round-up/10/

A close second (if you want RGB stuff) is XSPC Raystorm Neo, which has lower restriction. As you will be using twice as many cores as the test, I would try to obtain the heatkiller.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2019, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
JunkoXan is an unknown quantity at this point JunkoXan is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote: Originally Posted by J7SC View Post
I just finished a custom-loop 2950X / MSI MEG Creation (separate loop for 2x GPUs, and the CPU). The easiest thing to decide if you go 'custom loop' is the choice of CPU block > the Watercool 'Heakiller IV TR', which is at/near the top in most tests and can handle a 2990X w/o problem .
Beyond that, I would recommend at least a 360x60 rad w/ at least 3x120mm fans, and a D5pump / reservoir combo. That would be the 'standard' approach, though there are a variety of different options (also depending on whether you plan to oc the 2990x and how far if so), i.e. separate pump and reservoir instead of a combo, multiple rads etc.

hmmm, I see. I've been looking at HK IV PRO and the Radiator and also pump and res.

Pump/Res: Alphacool Eisbecher D5 250mm Acetal Reservoir Incl. 1x Alphacool Eispumpe VPP755

CPU Block: Watercool HEATKILLER® IV PRO for Threadripper™ PURE COPPER

Radiator: Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 360mm Radiator

I'm unsure of fittings and diameters of tubing and whatever else I may need after figuring those 2 out, let alone if what I have listed so far can work with one another...

Old 02-06-2019, 08:18 PM
⤷ αC
AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about AlphaC has a spectacular aura about

You probably don't want to use the VPP755 as there have been reports of issues with it. It isn't a true D5 pump unlike the VPP655 or Swiftech MCP655.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Old 02-06-2019, 08:33 PM
New to Overclock.net
J7SC

hmmm, I see. I've been looking at HK IV PRO and the Radiator and also pump and res.

Pump/Res: Alphacool Eisbecher D5 250mm Acetal Reservoir Incl. 1x Alphacool Eispumpe VPP755

CPU Block: Watercool HEATKILLER® IV PRO for Threadripper™ PURE COPPER

Radiator: Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 360mm Radiator

I'm unsure of fittings and diameters of tubing and whatever else I may need after figuring those 2 out, let alone if what I have listed so far can work with one another...

I'm sure that @AlphaC (posted above) can also provide much more detail. But in broad brushstrokes...

I opted for the Nickel coated version of the Heatkiller IV TR, in part to match other bits of the build, in part because I prefer Nickel coatings.

Overall, you probably should get your new case and do some rough lay-out drawings and measurements first as to where what goes and how it is mounted, and connected (tubing, wiring...). Also plan for 'drainage', i.e. a drain plug or valve at the lowest point of the whole water-cooling setup. One decision you have to make early is whether you want to work w/ rigid tubing, which is trickier and requires extra tools. If not, the 'standard' I use is Primochill LRT flex UV tubing w/ 1/2 inch inner and 3/4 inch outer diameter, available in various colours. I must have use kilometers of the stuff by now , after decades of water-cooling various machines, and I never had an issue w/ those tubes....nor w/ MPC 655 Swiftech pumps, my go-to standard.

As to fittings, they obviously should work w/ the diameter of tubing you choose - also keep an eye on how many straight vs 90 degrees ('elbows') you need, per your drawing - and may be get a few extra for reserve. I use Swiftech and Koolance fittings and especially like the latter. Finally, you have to get some radiator fans...with a 360 rad, you're looking at either 3x 120mm (push) or 6x 120mm (push & pull - for a few C lower temps)...I leave the 'RGB question' to you (it's a personal thing ) but if you're noise sensitive while also trying to cool a monster like a 2990X, I suggest 'ML' (= magnetic levitation) type fans...I use Corsair ML 120 (non-RGB) a lot, unless the build goes into a server room where there's a box full of GentleTyphoons (not so quiet..), but noise control is hopeless in the server room anyway...

Then there's the question of cooling liquids...I prefer the most basic, usually clear liquid w/ anti-algae qualities and if possible 'non-conductive' to boot, and I mix that w/ pure distilled water (variety of schools of thought on that).

Good luck w/ your build, and may be post some pics when you're done

Last edited by J7SC; 02-06-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by J7SC View Post
I'm sure that @AlphaC (posted above) can also provide much more detail. But in broad brushstrokes...

I opted for the Nickel coated version of the Heatkiller IV TR, in part to match other bits of the build, in part because I prefer Nickel coatings.

Overall, you probably should get your new case and do some rough lay-out drawings and measurements first as to where what goes and how it is mounted, and connected (tubing, wiring...). Also plan for 'drainage', i.e. a drain plug or valve at the lowest point of the whole water-cooling setup. One decision you have to make early is whether you want to work w/ rigid tubing, which is trickier and requires extra tools. If not, the 'standard' I use is Primochill LRT flex UV tubing w/ 1/2 inch inner and 3/4 inch outer diameter, available in various colours. I must have use kilometers of the stuff by now , after decades of water-cooling various machines, and I never had an issue w/ those tubes....nor w/ MPC 655 Swiftech pumps, my go-to standard.

As to fittings, they obviously should work w/ the diameter of tubing you choose - also keep an eye on how many straight vs 90 degrees ('elbows') you need, per your drawing - and may be get a few extra for reserve. I use Swiftech and Koolance fittings and especially like the latter. Finally, you have to get some radiator fans...with a 360 rad, you're looking at either 3x 120mm (push) or 6x 120mm (push & pull - for a few C lower temps)...I leave the 'RGB question' to you (it's a personal thing ) but if you're noise sensitive while also trying to cool a monster like a 2990X, I suggest 'ML' (= magnetic levitation) type fans...I use Corsair ML 120 (non-RGB) a lot, unless the build goes into a server room where there's a box full of GentleTyphoons (not so quiet..), but noise control is hopeless in the server room anyway...

Then there's the question of cooling liquids...I prefer the most basic, usually clear liquid w/ anti-algae qualities and if possible 'non-conductive' to boot, and I mix that w/ pure distilled water (variety of schools of thought on that)

Good luck w/ your build, and may be post some pics when you're done

I'll be getting the case once the Snow Weather (Minnesota weather aye!) dies down enough so that the roads are safe to travel on. I'm creating a shopping list, then when the case is had I can do what I need to do in the case. I'll be trying to keep the bends to a minimum as to many bends can be a problem later. Tubing material, I will be going the standard not the rigid as the rigid is 1 time you're done while the standard is able to bend in any direction at any time if needed so if I screw up I will have a way out.

I was looking at using Compression fittings for basically easy of use and I know they can fail... spectacularly. how should I gauge what fitting size I need when it comes to getting the right size? inner diameter or outer diameter or both of the tube, like with yours as it's 1/2 in and 3/4 out?

I'll take a look at the Primochill Tubing and the Corsair ML 120s, I came across a res and pump (Pump is VPP655) this is enough and good?

Alphacool Eisbecher D5 250mm Acetal Reservoir incl. 1x Alphacool VPP655 Pump
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1012941-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	252144  

Old 02-07-2019, 06:31 PM
New to Overclock.net
J7SC

I'll be getting the case once the Snow Weather (Minnesota weather aye!) dies down enough so that the roads are safe to travel on. I'm creating a shopping list, then when the case is had I can do what I need to do in the case. I'll be trying to keep the bends to a minimum as to many bends can be a problem later. Tubing material, I will be going the standard not the rigid as the rigid is 1 time you're done while the standard is able to bend in any direction at any time if needed so if I screw up I will have a way out.

I was looking at using Compression fittings for basically easy of use and I know they can fail... spectacularly. how should I gauge what fitting size I need when it comes to getting the right size? inner diameter or outer diameter or both of the tube, like with yours as it's 1/2 in and 3/4 out?

I'll take a look at the Primochill Tubing and the Corsair ML 120s, I came across a res and pump (Pump is VPP655) this is enough and good?

Alphacool Eisbecher D5 250mm Acetal Reservoir incl. 1x Alphacool VPP655 Pump

Alphacool Eisbecher D5 250mm Acetal Reservoir incl. 1x Alphacool VPP655 Pump is great !

Two examples for compression fittings (Swiftech, Koolance) for straight and 90 degree elbows below in Spoiler, 1/2 by 3/4 inch
...other suppliers would be Bitfinix, Barrows etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in