A Question on Monoblocks - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

A Question on Monoblocks

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
A Question on Monoblocks

Hello everyone,

This is a bit of a contrived title - and I'm posting this in water cooling and not motherboards - but hopefully the reasons will become clear.

I've been saving and steadily buying bits for my next PC - and I've just hit a *huge* issue... I've been waiting for my annual performance bonus to divert to funding the most expensive parts of the build (motherboard, CPU, RAM and GPUs). Literally one week before the bonus payment hit my bank account, all the Asus RoG Rampage VI Extreme Edition motherboards were pulled from web sites, to make way for the replacement board, the Asus RoG Rampage Omega.

It's a *lovely* board, don't get me wrong... but it brings a huge issue for me (which is where the water-cooling dimension comes in). Put simply, EKWB are not going to be offering a monoblock for this board... Before I set out what this has led me to think about, here's a brief bit of background...

I'm hoping to build a machine that:

1. will be awesome at games, 3D rendering, running CUDA-accelerated video processing, etc, etc...
2. will be as quiet as I can get it...

So far I've bought most of the ancillaries I need (case, PSU, radiators, optical drives, etc). The main parts outstanding are CPU, motherboard, RAM and GPUs (the expensive bits).

Given the above challenge with the Asus Omega, I need to come up with an alternative approach to a properly cooled motherboard/CPU setup that will allow for overclocking of (ideally) a de-lidded 7980XE that has been pre-tested and guaranteed to 4.6GHz (although I'll likely only tun it to 4.4). This sort of workload is going to be very demanding of VRMs and MOSFETs and will generate a *lot* of heat, so I want to have the most robust cooling solution I can get.

All of the rest of my cooling kit purchased to date comes from EKWB (although I will likely be using Aquacomputer pumps).

I'm looking for a Socket 2066 motherboard with (good) Monoblock support. This currently seems to narrow my choices down to things like:-

Gigabyte (Aorus Gaming 3/3 Pro/7/9/Ultra Gaming/Ultra Gaming Pro/UD4/UD4 Pro/UD4 EX)
Asus X299 Prime DeLuxe/Rog Strix X299-E Gaming
MSI Gaming M7/Gaming Pro Carbon/Gaming Pro Carbon AC
ASRock X299 OC Formula/Taichi/Taichi XE/Fatal1ty Professional Gaming i9/Fatility X299 Professional Gaming i9 XE

I would be very grateful for any personal recommends from anyone running pretty much any X299 motherboard with an over-clocked i9 CPU.

I would say that 64Gb RAM, 2 x M2 Drive Support, SLI Support and good overclock potential are mandatory, with

10Gb Ethernet, 3 x M2 Drive Support would be very-nice-to-have additions.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 06:00 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 71 (Unique: 55)
Hi,
I would rule out asus prime deluxe
The newer version has a better vrm cooler but still way over priced

EVGA has a good vrm cooling system and they are actually nearly giving them away seeing they were way later releasing them and they got caught with boards they can't sell
EVGA has a ebay sellers page where the best deals can be had.

Mono blocks only look cool they don't actually cool better than a run of the mill ek evo supremacy x99 water block which cools better by 5-10c than a mono block does.

So if you just want cool looks and a little easy piping mono block will fill those needs.

I did notice a ek copper evo cold plate will mount on a ek nickel mono block
There is a 1/16" difference on the depth the evo but that can be filled with more jet plates.

CPU
i9-9940x With Heatkiller IV Pro and VRM Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thank you ThashZone, this is really helpful...

I hope it isn't crass for me to say, but... sticking to a budget is not my prime concern here - if it is better but more expensive, I am going to go with better... The reason that the Asus Prime got on the list is because I can get it, turnkey, here:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-...wc-17u-tl.html

so that would have been a nice, simple solution. My current "front runner" (based on ready availability of parts) might be this:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-X2...dp/B072VJRG4W/

and this

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fb-ga-x...noblock-nickel

I'm very interested in your take on say the above Gigabyte board with the optimum cooling solution for it... I'm also wondering if I should consider some form of cooling for the RAM. If I go with 64Gb as planned then that would likely be something like this:-

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/g.ski...my-10b-gs.html

or this:-

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/corsa...my-4ax-cs.html

If I go with the Corsair (which is slower) then I can use these:-

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-ram-monarch-x4-nickel

Last observation: the balance of my cooling system includes 5 x EKWB CE560 radiators... I have 2 each for a pair of RTX2080Ti GPUs, and a 5th dedicated to the CPU/motherboard. I'm using 140mm Noctua fans - silent run with good static pressure. I just need to be sure that the total cooling performance of a single CE560 can cope with an over-clocked Core i9 and whatever additional heat I get from other components...

Can you recommend what I should be looking to include in terms of mainboard cooling please? (i.e. CPU, VRMs, RAM, ?).

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 06:37 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 71 (Unique: 55)
Hi,
Just a heads up
I bought my prime deluxe locally at micro center
They have four open box returns lol to give you an idea of how bad they are

Why I still have mine well I've already eaten 500.us in licenses so eating another 500.us isn't all that appealing switching boards again.

I would look in hardware labs radiators instead
EK uses extenders on their rads which may fail for one and also they add one more leak spot that most rads only have one the actual tubing fitting is.

Memory just use this little jewel and you'll best off
https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

I'd scroll through and maybe drop a post here for the best gigabyte board
https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-in...ng-thread.html

CPU
i9-9940x With Heatkiller IV Pro and VRM Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 07:07 AM
Not a Fan

Rep: 162 (Unique: 126)
The VRM section of the RVIEO has supposedly been substantially upgraded according to Asus reps

"The power solution has been upgraded so that it can handle a sustained 500W+ load, which the original R6E board can't, even with active cooling. The VRM costs twice as much, but better deals with transients (at least 30mV less sag under fast transients). "

And the fans are set by default to not come on until 60C, and the curve is adjustable

"The VRM fan curves can be controlled. By default, they don’t switch on until 60C, so they’re not constantly active. You can adjust the curve as you see fit, and if the chassis has reasonable airflow, you won’t even need them."

It seems like the Omega has the upgraded power section to deal with the current draw on the higher core CPUs without the need for water cooling. I'll know soon, mine is set for delivery today, a de-lidded 7980XE going into it.

If winning were easy, losers would do it.

It's got Async Compute, it's got what plants crave!
War Pig
(12 items)
Death Bomb
(9 items)
X-Rig
(15 items)
CPU
i9-7980XE
Motherboard
Rampage VI Extreme Omega
GPU
2080Ti FE
RAM
G.Skill F4-3600C16Q2-64GTZSW
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro X4
Optical Drive
Pioneer BDR-209BDK
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2
Cooling
HW Labs Black Ice GTX 420-480-2X240
Cooling
EK Supremacy Evo CPU Heatkiller IV GPU
Cooling
2X PPCs Bitspower D5
Case
Corsair 900D
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU
I7-7700K De-lidded @ 5GHz
Motherboard
Asus Strix Z270i
GPU
Nvidia Titan Xp
RAM
G. Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2X Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2
Power Supply
SeaSonic X750
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO CPU. Titan Xp Full Cover w/Backplate, X-TOP Revo D5 PWM Pump, Res X3 110mm Res, HW Labs GTS 280 and GTS 240, Primochill Tubing & Revolver fittings
Case
Fractal Nano S
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU
I7-5960X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage V Extreme 1502
GPU
EVGA Titan X
GPU
EVGA Titan X
RAM
G.Skill F4-3000C15Q-32GRK
Hard Drive
Samsung SM951 M.2
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Optical Drive
Pioneer BDR-2209
Power Supply
EVGA 220-P2-1200-X1
Cooling
EKWB Blocks, Fans, and Pumps, Rads
Case
Corsair 550D
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro Retail
Monitor
BenQ BL3201PH
Keyboard
Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8
Mouse
Roccat Kone Pure Optical
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:16 AM
Mr.4way SLI

Rep: 191 (Unique: 171)
My vote would be the Asrock lineup hands down and I know at least one of them offer 10Gb nic. You can't go wrong with the top of the class support Asrock offers also.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Charlie,

I'm really interested in learning how you get on, not least of which because I also plan to deploy a de-lidded 7980XE. It's a lot to ask, but do you think you would be kind enough to stop back when you have your machine assembled, to let us know how you get on please?

Also, I'm interested in learning if there may be another solution to managing VRM temperatures? Are there water block solutions worth looking at?

Thank you...
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 12:28 PM
Not a Fan

Rep: 162 (Unique: 126)
I'm not sure if anybody will ever make even a VRM block, much less a monoblock, for the Omega - as Omega is "The Last". I'm hoping they have hit on a VRM solution that will not need active cooling and I have a 140mm radiator fan directly over the VRM heatsink as it worked out. Should stir up a little breeze across it.

But yeah, I'll be trying mine out pretty quick. Board arrived this morning, I'll run it up on air with the original lid still on to make sure it functions and delid/finish the water loop this weekend hopefully.

If winning were easy, losers would do it.

It's got Async Compute, it's got what plants crave!
War Pig
(12 items)
Death Bomb
(9 items)
X-Rig
(15 items)
CPU
i9-7980XE
Motherboard
Rampage VI Extreme Omega
GPU
2080Ti FE
RAM
G.Skill F4-3600C16Q2-64GTZSW
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro X4
Optical Drive
Pioneer BDR-209BDK
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2
Cooling
HW Labs Black Ice GTX 420-480-2X240
Cooling
EK Supremacy Evo CPU Heatkiller IV GPU
Cooling
2X PPCs Bitspower D5
Case
Corsair 900D
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU
I7-7700K De-lidded @ 5GHz
Motherboard
Asus Strix Z270i
GPU
Nvidia Titan Xp
RAM
G. Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2X Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2
Power Supply
SeaSonic X750
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO CPU. Titan Xp Full Cover w/Backplate, X-TOP Revo D5 PWM Pump, Res X3 110mm Res, HW Labs GTS 280 and GTS 240, Primochill Tubing & Revolver fittings
Case
Fractal Nano S
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU
I7-5960X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage V Extreme 1502
GPU
EVGA Titan X
GPU
EVGA Titan X
RAM
G.Skill F4-3000C15Q-32GRK
Hard Drive
Samsung SM951 M.2
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Optical Drive
Pioneer BDR-2209
Power Supply
EVGA 220-P2-1200-X1
Cooling
EKWB Blocks, Fans, and Pumps, Rads
Case
Corsair 550D
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro Retail
Monitor
BenQ BL3201PH
Keyboard
Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8
Mouse
Roccat Kone Pure Optical
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Possible Alternative from Bitspower

After discovering that EKWB weren't going to be offering a monoblock for the Omega board, I wondered briefly if anyone else might think of doing so. I dropped a quick email to Bitspower, the first company I found that had offered a block for the preceding VIEE board. I received a reply overnight, which reads in relevant part:-

It seems to our block BP-WBMASX299R6A is compatible.
It can use on R6E too.
Any question, feel free to contact us.

BP-WBMASX299R6A
https://shop.bitspower.com/index.php...197&search=r6a

Now, I must stress that I haven't had a chance to validate this - most significantly that I don't know how sound the claim is that the 'R6A will work with the Omega. However, while we wait for more news on the performance of the Omega without a water block, I thought this might also be worth a look.

I have absolutely zero experience of Bitspower, although I see that quite a few of the YouTube water cooling enthusiasts speak very highly of their range. For this reason I'm very interested in community feedback, either of this proposed solution or Bitspower in general.

Thank you.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 08:43 PM
Old and Decrepit

Rep: 30 (Unique: 23)
Quote: Originally Posted by GnarlyCharlie View Post
The VRM section of the RVIEO has supposedly been substantially upgraded according to Asus reps

"The power solution has been upgraded so that it can handle a sustained 500W+ load, which the original R6E board can't, even with active cooling. The VRM costs twice as much, but better deals with transients (at least 30mV less sag under fast transients). "

And the fans are set by default to not come on until 60C, and the curve is adjustable

"The VRM fan curves can be controlled. By default, they don’t switch on until 60C, so they’re not constantly active. You can adjust the curve as you see fit, and if the chassis has reasonable airflow, you won’t even need them."

It seems like the Omega has the upgraded power section to deal with the current draw on the higher core CPUs without the need for water cooling. I'll know soon, mine is set for delivery today, a de-lidded 7980XE going into it.
Ive run my R6E well past 500watts sustained. It may not do so with the stock passive VRM cooler but thats easily remedied. Heatkiller IV pro on the CPU and Heatkiller VRM cooler and the VRMs never pass 32C.....ever. Running a 9940X in mine at 4.8GHz all cores 1.195 Vcore adaptive. The huge bit of disdain I have for the omega is the board layout. There is no choice but to use the stock VRM cooler and the ram latches are so close you need a special tool to remove them. The loss of a PCIE slot is also a huge turn off.

No way that bitspower monoblock is going to work on an omega. You have two choices with that. Accept the cooler they offer..... or buy a different board.

As much as Ive supported ASUS products this just isnt one of them. Id go for the Sage before the Omega or keep trolling for an R6E. I see them pop up here and there, one seller on Amazon just dumped a handful of them for $384 each. If not then an EVGA dark or Asrock that holds nearly all the X299 records.

Das Beast
(29 items)
CPU
I9 9940X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Extreme
GPU
Asus Strix 2080 Ti OC
GPU
Asus Strix 2080 Ti OC
RAM
Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD64GX4M8X3800C19
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Intel 905P
Power Supply
Corsair AX1500i
Cooling
Aquaero 6 pro controller
Cooling
Corsair SP120 PWM x 11
Cooling
Heatkiller IV pro
Cooling
Heatkiller Tube 200
Cooling
2x Phanteks Strix 2080ti blocks
Cooling
EKWB 480 XE
Cooling
EKWB 480 PE
Cooling
EKWB 360XE
Cooling
Corsair LL 120 PWM X8
Cooling
D5 pumps x2 in serial bitspower head with mod kit
Cooling
Heatkiller VRM block
Case
Phantek Entoo Elite Black
Operating System
WIN 10 Pro
Monitor
ASUS PG34Q
Keyboard
ASUS Core
Mouse
Asus spatha
Mouse
Asus Sheath
Audio
Audio Engine A5+
Audio
SVS1000 Sub
Audio
Audio engine 192kBPS DAC
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in