ProTapes Pro 950 Polyimide Film Tape - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ProTapes Pro 950 Polyimide Film Tape

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
ProTapes Pro 950 Polyimide Film Tape

So, I have set up a full custom loop and so far my EK 3.1 DDC Pump has leaked near the outlet and been replace and my EK Supremacy MX water-block has leaked at the base and I have ordered a full nickel Supremacy EVO. Swapping out the CPU water-block resulted in a few drops of water dripping onto my 1080 ti and they went through a couple of holes in the back-plate onto the PCB. Anyone have an opinion about using Polyimide Film Tape to cover the top of the graphics card all the way to the motherboard and wrap around the sides of the card.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This will prevent water from dripping into the card an force it to roll off the side of the card if another leak occurs.

First, does anyone see a problem with doing this? The GPU water-block should be removing the heat and ventilation should not be an issue or am I wrong?

Second, can my graphics card be killed without water getting to it? For example water gets onto the motherboard only, could this kill my 1080ti? If this is the case I may cover the whole board below the radiator. My case has no window so appearance is a non-issue for me. Eventually I am going 2080ti so I am wanting to find a near risk free way to silently cool my system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 10:13 AM
I don't even like Linux

Rep: 96 (Unique: 73)
Water dripping may damage the GPU, but it may still be fine. I had my CPU waterblock dripping water on the GPU in the top PCIe slot. The slot was soaked wet. Everything is fine though, the GPU and the slot work well after drying them.

I replaced the o-ring in the CPU waterblock, and put some Molykote on it for good measure. Never had leaks in 2-3 years since then.

That I think is a better approach, than wrapping the GPU up in film. Just fix things and do leak test.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Yes, I am not anticipating any leaks and so far nothing has been powered on except the pump, but you never know and if I am putting a $1500 graphics card into my system I want to know it is protected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 11:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 36 (Unique: 35)
That's a lot of leaks. There are some good threads on pressure testing your loop. That might help.

“Who you are is defined by what you’re willing to struggle for.”― Mark Manson
Nuka Cola
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 06:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 11)
I'm so confused.

Why are you trying to cover leaks with tape when the problem is obviously that the loop isn't built properly? Custom loop components don't just leak by nature. If you have a leak, something is wrong - either the component itself is damaged, a tube is not making proper contact inside a fitting, a fitting is not tight enough, there's an O ring issue, among other things.

You replaced your pump and your CPU block because of leaks and you still have a leak. Did you consider that there was nothing actually wrong with your previous pump or block?

It's frankly silly to be concerned with whether water on your mobo can fry your GPU. That may be a possibility but it's irrelevant. You need to build your loop properly so it isn't leaking.

Is it hard tubes?

DCS4VR
(22 items)
CPU
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus IX Code
GPU
EVGA 2080Ti XC Gaming
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB @ 3200
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair RM750i
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 360MP
Cooling
EK-D5 G2 Pump
Cooling
Cuplex KRYOS Next VISION CPU waterblock
Cooling
EK-Vector RTX RGB waterblock + backplate
Cooling
Monsoon MMRS 250mm custom reservoir
Cooling
Monsoon Hardline PETG Tubing 1/2", 5/8"
Case
Thermaltake Core P5
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U3415W
Mouse
Logitech G900
Audio
BOSE QC35
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster Z PCI-E
Other
HTC VIVE Pro
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by GraphicsWhore; 02-13-2019 at 06:55 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in