New to Forum and water cooling--looking for some quick advice! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

New to Forum and water cooling--looking for some quick advice!

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
New to Forum and water cooling--looking for some quick advice!

Hello,

The attached photo is an actual picture of my system as it stands now---I think the tubing is in the correct order in the picture, can someone please confirm?

Also, the inlet and outlet on the pump/res combo on the are going to have to be turned about 90 degrees, where they are facing the PCI brackets, because my 2080 Ti Strix card is pushing right up against the fittings as it sits right now (vertical mounted GPU) .that is why I am having the OUTLET routed to the "back" port on the radiator first, so it doesn't have to cross over the reservoir, is it fine to go to that port on the radiator first, instead of the port facing closest to the side window of the case? The rad is a EK Performance 360, if that matters?

I think it is, I just would like some re-assurance from folks who actually know what the hell they are doing.

Lastly, could someone advise me on how to setup a drain loop (I think that is the name, lol) in this system? I have watched numerous videos online, and they all have a T -splitter that is tied directly into I believe the outlet of a res and then the other end is capped off--I am lost on how in the world I can do a drain loop in my particular setup, is it even possible? Could you please show me what parts I would need?

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	329.7 KB
ID:	256328  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 04:08 AM
News Fiend

Order looks fine. I'd personally try to shoot for the attached for a cleaner tubing run but it'd likely need some angled fittings and/or moving the pump higher with your described setup. I've personally never bothered with a drain setup so no comment there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019-02-28 (1).png
Views:	10
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	256372  

Meh '12
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX Fury X
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 F4-3200C14D-16GTZSW
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro-Series
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Enterprise NAS SATA (ST4000VN0001)
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive WD1003FZEX
Power Supply
SEASONIC PLATINUM-860 860W RT
Cooling
Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS Radiator x2
Cooling
Monsoon MMRS Reservoir + D5 pump + mountings
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal
Cooling
EKWB Fury X
Cooling
Monsoon Free Center 1/2ID 3/4OD fittings + Rotaries + plug + Temp probe
Cooling
BeQuiet SilentWings 3 High Speed PWM x 9
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 27" IPS 27UK650
Keyboard
Massdrop CTRL
Mouse
Logitech g403
Mousepad
HAYATE KOU FX SOFT NINJA Black L
Audio
Blue Yeti Black
Audio
Massdrop x AKG K7XX
Other
LIAN LI O11D-1X ,Riser Cable and cover bracket for PC-O11D
CPU
i5 3570k
Motherboard
Z77x-UD5H
GPU
Zotac 670 GTX AMP!
RAM
G.Skill f3-2400c10D-16gtx
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
Optical Drive
Some old thing
Power Supply
Seasonic platinum 860w
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Customized Thermaltake Armor
Operating System
Win 10 pro
Monitor
Dell U2413
Keyboard
Ducky Shine
Mouse
Logi G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 04:41 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 42 (Unique: 34)
Hi,
Unless you flip the case upside down it will never drain because the radiator ports are on top not the bottom.

Vaper
(4 items)
CPU
i9-7900x With evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
ASUS x299 TUF Mark 2
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
redragon
CPU
i7-5930k with evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000w P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
SMOK Alien 220w
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-3mg
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 05:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 12)
Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
Unless you flip the case upside down it will never drain because the radiator ports are on top not the bottom.
That is pretty accurate. At least, it wont drain fully.

For a drain port, I would come off of your res outlet with a 3 block splitter then on the port that points down a male to male fitting > ball valve > cap. Then when you want to drain, you remove the cap, hook up another tube on a barb then open up the ball valve.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hi,
yep, that is what i figured...what if i hooked a tube up to the top fill port of the res and just blow super hard into the tube (no homo), would that be enough pressure to move the fluid from the bottom of the rad to the drain port?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

photo attached

Well, i finished running the tubes, filling it and it is running great with no leaks---I didn't do the drain loop because my local microcenter didn't have the right fittings and I was too inpatient to wait for shipping. I hope to god I don't regret that decision when i drain the loop in the next 6 months to a year--I know its probably going to be a pain in the ass and no one could answer my question about if I blow into the top fill port with a hose attached, if it would force the fluid in the bottom of the rad into the res

Thanks everyone for the assistance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0339.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	884.6 KB
ID:	256516  

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 12)
If you blow into a tube it will evacuate some of the liquid but not all. Air is compressible and you will never reach the PSI capacity with your lungs to move all the liquid. On the contrary, an air compressor would probably damage your radiator if you tried that.

Its not a horrible thing unless you go to change fluid color. Then you will have color mixture for a long while until you take the rad out and drain/clean it.

As to the drain port. I planned one into my loop because...how else you gonna drain it without splashing water on everything? I had a simple one at first made out of a barb fitting, a tube and a stop plug. Now I have a hard plumbed drain with a ball valve and it is very professional. It took me about a year before I upgraded to that drain style though.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:36 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 42 (Unique: 34)
Hi,
Soft tubing I just leave the tubing to and from the pump a little longer so I can remove the pump and pour out the fluid
My front rad is the same as yours so yeah just flip the case on it's narrow back and the rad is on top

You can also remove the pump tubing and blow in either one of them and the other into a bowl...

Otherwise put the rad on top of the case not the front then gravity is your friend

Vaper
(4 items)
CPU
i9-7900x With evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
ASUS x299 TUF Mark 2
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
redragon
CPU
i7-5930k with evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA 1000w P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
SMOK Alien 220w
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-3mg
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by OneFunGenesis View Post
If you blow into a tube it will evacuate some of the liquid but not all. Air is compressible and you will never reach the PSI capacity with your lungs to move all the liquid. On the contrary, an air compressor would probably damage your radiator if you tried that.

Its not a horrible thing unless you go to change fluid color. Then you will have color mixture for a long while until you take the rad out and drain/clean it.

As to the drain port. I planned one into my loop because...how else you gonna drain it without splashing water on everything? I had a simple one at first made out of a barb fitting, a tube and a stop plug. Now I have a hard plumbed drain with a ball valve and it is very professional. It took me about a year before I upgraded to that drain style though.
yeah, I did plan to have one--but my microcenter didnt' have the proper fittings, so I said screw it and just finished the tubing because I was excited to see if there was a difference in my 360 AIO....there is no difference in temps, but I guess people don't necessarily do custom loops on CPUs nowadays for performance gains...I guess its about looks and system quietness.

Also this pump/res combo only has two ports on it----one inlet and one outlet, so I couldn't just use an extra port for a dedicated drain loop unless I buy the EKWB Multiport top--which is what I am going to do whenever I decide to drain the system. I have no idea how to setup the multiport top--but I guess I'll figure that out when the time comes.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hi,
Soft tubing I just leave the tubing to and from the pump a little longer so I can remove the pump and pour out the fluid
My front rad is the same as yours so yeah just flip the case on it's narrow back and the rad is on top

You can also remove the pump tubing and blow in either one of them and the other into a bowl...

Otherwise put the rad on top of the case not the front then gravity is your friend

so, you are saying to just remove ONE of the tubes on the pump/res combo (either the inlet or outlet) and blow through the other end of it? I have seen jayztwocents do it before, so it must be okay, right? lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in