Leak Test with Air Going Wrong! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Leak Test with Air Going Wrong!

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 19)
Greetings fellow water coolers!

I have reached the point beyond frustration with my leak test and not sure what is going on and what to do. I am sure others may have had similar issues I am experiencing and decided to reach out to all of you for some advice.

I am working on my custom military build from Parvum and before I put all the components in I want to make sure none of them are defected. In the past, I have done leak tests with water, but I was recently recommended to use air pressure over since it resembles more what the components will go through under load. I did some research and came across the following OCN page:https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-w...oop-101-a.html

I ordered this digital pressure gauge from Amazon and the "T" fitting, schrader valve, and barb fittings from Home Depot:

I put out all the components, connected all the hose and started to perform the leak test. I found a few spots where air was leaking out due to a couple fittings that were not fully tightened. As I continued to perform the leak test, I found some additional leaks on the "T" fitting where some air was escaping. After tightening it up, I am still experiencing a very slow leak. I tested all the fittings, gauge, and components with soapy water and a qtip, but cannot find it!

I purchased a second "T" fitting with a built in pressure gauge from Home Depot thinking the other ones were bad. However, I am still experiencing the same thing!

Here is what I purchased:

Today, I went to my local ACE hardware and purchased another 1/4 "T" fitting, connector, shutoff valve to put before the schrader valve, and another new schrader valve. I connected everything together with the digital amazon pressure gauge and performed the leak test on one of the radiators. Guess what... I still have a leak. This leak is from the new fittings I purchased from ACE hardware.

Here is what I purchased:

On the pressure gauge from Amazon and the gauges from Home Depot, I used both teflon tape and pipe thread sealant. On the fittings from ACE hardware, I just used teflon tape. Either way, I am still getting leaks and not sure what to do to stop it. Am I not putting enough teflon tape on the threads? Are all the fittings and gauges defected!?

If someone has ran into this same issue before and has advice I would really appreciate it.

Here are a few more pictures and a video of one of the leak tests:

"Computer games don’t affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we’d all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic dance music..." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989

Last edited by curlyp; 03-02-2019 at 12:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:08 PM
woot

Rep: 256 (Unique: 211)
dont use thread tape and sealant...just one or the other.

if using tape, dont be afraid to wrap it a couple times. the treads on npt/f fittings are an interference fit (threads are tapered and seal against each other), but without the right amount of sealer, the air or liquids will easily travel up the threads.

the o-ring on the bspp fittings makes things alot easier to seal up, but in this case you are pretty much stuck with npt/f unless you want to order from a specialty shop (there might be a hydralic shop in your area that can help you out)

for now, wrap the threads 2 or 3 times. the tapered ends will make it so you can still tread it in

oh...wrap your tape "up" the threads (not down towards the end of the fitting) so it doesnt push or roll up when you thread the fitting in

Quote:
Originally Posted by h00chi3 go_quote.gif

There are some things that smoke can come out of and still be good, for instance, a bong. Bad things for smoke to come out of, computer parts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 868 (Unique: 634)
If it is not in the system, I suggest just straight up water.

If you insist on air, not sure if you can use color dye similar to what's used in air conditioning.

[email protected] 6 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2211392 4.6 @ 4 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2216580
5.0 @ 8 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2511322
2nd AMD Build
(10 items)
CPU
Motherboard
X470
GPU
RAM
3200 CL14
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Case
Operating System
10/64
Monitor
40 1080
Keyboard
M100
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by sli_shroom View Post
dont use thread tape and sealant...just one or the other.

if using tape, dont be afraid to wrap it a couple times. the treads on npt/f fittings are an interference fit (threads are tapered and seal against each other), but without the right amount of sealer, the air or liquids will easily travel up the threads.

the o-ring on the bspp fittings makes things alot easier to seal up, but in this case you are pretty much stuck with npt/f unless you want to order from a specialty shop (there might be a hydralic shop in your area that can help you out)

for now, wrap the threads 2 or 3 times. the tapered ends will make it so you can still tread it in

oh...wrap your tape "up" the threads (not down towards the end of the fitting) so it doesnt push or roll up when you thread the fitting in
Thanks for the suggestion. I only used both tape and sealant once to see if that would make a difference. It didn't though!

I will take the current fittings from ACE hardware apart and wrap the thread really good. Will it interfere if I wrap it 5-6 times? You mentioned npt/f fittings...what does this mean. I take it this is the thread on the pipe fittings I am buying to use for the air pressure test?

Lastly, when I connect the fittings how tight to I make it? I have been using wrenchs to make it as tight as possible (basically until I don't have the strength to turn it anymore).

"Computer games don’t affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we’d all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic dance music..." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 08:30 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 92 (Unique: 67)
Hi,
I'll guess that is a gas shut off valve ?
Usually as good reason plumbers use pipe dope.

CPU
i9-9940x With Heatkiller IV Pro and VRM Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 08:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 28 (Unique: 19)
Quote: Originally Posted by curlyp View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I only used both tape and sealant once to see if that would make a difference. It didn't though!

I will take the current fittings from ACE hardware apart and wrap the thread really good. Will it interfere if I wrap it 5-6 times? You mentioned npt/f fittings...what does this mean. I take it this is the thread on the pipe fittings I am buying to use for the air pressure test?

Lastly, when I connect the fittings how tight to I make it? I have been using wrenchs to make it as tight as possible (basically until I don't have the strength to turn it anymore).

Npt/f is the type of threading on the fittings
Most WC gear uses BSPP and uses the O-ring to make the complete seal. Fittings in North America use NPT and that needs some kind of sealer like thread tape. Should. Only have to wrap it a few times, wrap in direction of the tread.
It was a PIA to get mine working at first as well.
If out of options Aquacomputer sells a custom made air leak tester

My Baby
(24 items)
CPU
Delidded Direct Die I9 9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Apex
GPU
EVGA FTW3 Hydro Copper GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3600 F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Hard Drive
Asus Hyper M.2 card
Hard Drive
2 x Intel 660P 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
Watercool HEATKILLER IV PRO
Cooling
2x Swiftech MCP35X2 with MCP35X2 Heat Sink
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTR
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS
Cooling
Aquacomputer aqualis XT 450 ml with nano coating
Cooling
9x Noctua NF-S12A PWM
Cooling
2x Noctua NA-A15 PWM
Cooling
24x EK Vadar F4120ER
Case
Case Labs Magnum M8 with Pedestal
Monitor
Asus PG28Q
Keyboard
Das Keyboard 5Q
Mouse
Swiftpoint Z
Audio
Mr. Speakers Aeon Closed
Audio
Geek Pulse Inifnity DAC/AMP
Audio
Cavalii Audio Liquid Carbon HPA
Other
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 10:40 AM
woot

Rep: 256 (Unique: 211)
5 or 6 wraps would probably be too much and may keep it from getting started inside the female fitting

npt is national pipe thread tapered iirc (/f is for female). look at your fittings and you will see the end is slightly smaller in diameter than the top. the threads actually mash together to form a seal, but as mentioned the fluid will travel up the threads, which is the reason to use pipe dope or thread.

bspp is british standard pipe parallel i think. they are parallel threads (no taper to the fittings), so an o-ring is required for the seal

npt fittings can definitely be a pain (especially cheap fittings like those from ace/home depot/etc) but once you get them to seal they usually hold really well

Quote:
Originally Posted by h00chi3 go_quote.gif

There are some things that smoke can come out of and still be good, for instance, a bong. Bad things for smoke to come out of, computer parts.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
I'll guess that is a gas shut off valve ?
Usually as good reason plumbers use pipe dope.
Yes it is. I saw someone had made one with a shut off valve right before the schrader valve.

Quote: Originally Posted by Shawnb99 View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by curlyp View Post

Npt/f is the type of threading on the fittings
Most WC gear uses BSPP and uses the O-ring to make the complete seal. Fittings in North America use NPT and that needs some kind of sealer like thread tape. Should. Only have to wrap it a few times, wrap in direction of the tread.
It was a PIA to get mine working at first as well.
If out of options Aquacomputer sells a custom made air leak tester
Ah okay, thank you. I removed all the fittings and wrapped it again 5 times. I connected it back together and still have a leak. I made adjusts while it was connected and still have a very small leak.

Here is a video showing the adjustments and how small the leak is:

I‘ve just uploaded a movie to YouTube!
You can check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXyDwNb-ZT4

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by sli_shroom View Post
5 or 6 wraps would probably be too much and may keep it from getting started inside the female fitting

npt is national pipe thread tapered iirc (/f is for female). look at your fittings and you will see the end is slightly smaller in diameter than the top. the threads actually mash together to form a seal, but as mentioned the fluid will travel up the threads, which is the reason to use pipe dope or thread.

bspp is british standard pipe parallel i think. they are parallel threads (no taper to the fittings), so an o-ring is required for the seal

npt fittings can definitely be a pain (especially cheap fittings like those from ace/home depot/etc) but once you get them to seal they usually hold really well
I was able to screw it in fine with 5 wraps, but still have a small leak.

It seems like bspp pipe is much better than npt since it has the o-ring! You mentioned the fittings from ace, home depot, lowes are cheap...where can I buy some good ones at?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 08:20 PM
TEC Veteran

Rep: 110 (Unique: 90)
Am I just tipsy and missing something here - why are you concerned with leaking fittings that are not being used in the loop? Just build the loop as-is and let it run outside of your rig overnight with some dye in a loop and white paper towels under it.

Seems like a bunch of money wasted for something unnecessary? I may have been out of the loop too long but have never heard of anyone using an air leakdown test for water cooling setups. Air is much thinner than water and under pressure it will find leaks that would never exist in a low pressure liquid cooling loop.

If you want to know if your loop will leak, or if any parts are defective, what better way to test that than using the same parts exactly how it will be installed???

Guess I'm finally getting old lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in