EK-MLC Phoenix 240 Water Cooler Question - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

EK-MLC Phoenix 240 Water Cooler Question

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
EK-MLC Phoenix 240 Water Cooler Question

Anyone have the EK-MLC Phoenix 240 Modular Water Cooler from EK..I was thinking of getting one to replace my Swiftech H240x..Just curious if shes any good,compared to Swiftech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 12:57 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 815 (Unique: 548)
That's probably a sidegrade.

EK MLC Phoenix still has a 6W pump (the SPC-60 one). It's supposed to be quieter though.

Radiator on H240X is lower fin area though since the Phoenix's PE based radiator is thicker and has more FPI.

Pump on H240X is the MCP30 which actually has higher max RPM.

Fan on the H240X is helix 140mm 1800RPM (weaker and slower but given the low FPI I don't expect huge gains).

See also http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1428-page6.html

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Last edited by AlphaC; 03-02-2019 at 01:21 PM. Reason: add H240X breakdown
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for the info..What is your opinion on the best AIO 240 mm Water Cooler on the market today..Is there anything better than the Swiftech H240X like what I have now..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 04:57 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 371 (Unique: 257)
Quote: Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post
That's probably a sidegrade.

EK MLC Phoenix still has a 6W pump (the SPC-60 one). It's supposed to be quieter though.

[/url]
In a number of tests the EK was louder at like temps. The denser rad requires higher fan speeds for like performance.

Quote: Originally Posted by NIK1 View Post
Thanks for the info..What is your opinion on the best AIO 240 mm Water Cooler on the market today..Is there anything better than the Swiftech H240X like what I have now..
The X3 is slightly better, but only due to an improved block design. However, those new Helix RGB fans are pretty awful, so you need to change fans to take advantage. So, again, a sidegrade. In an AiO, there is nothing out there that will get you a dramatic, or likely even noticeable performance increase.

A change of fans, however, can get you a noticeable performance boost on the H240X. The (insanely priced) Noctua Sterroxx, be quiet SW3, or even the budget minded Phanteks F120MP can produce far higher air through the rad at like noise levels than the Swiftech Helix.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....

Last edited by ciarlatano; 03-03-2019 at 05:01 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Are those Noctua Sterroxx Fans fans out on the market yet..If yes,who carries them..I might get a couple 140mm ones to test out..

Were these the ones you were talking about..NF-A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 1500 rpm...I don't see a listing for Sterrox fans.
https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/chromax

Last edited by NIK1; 03-03-2019 at 06:04 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 06:53 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 371 (Unique: 257)
Quote: Originally Posted by NIK1 View Post
Are those Noctua Sterroxx Fans fans out on the market yet..If yes,who carries them..I might get a couple 140mm ones to test out..

Were these the ones you were talking about..NF-A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 1500 rpm...I don't see a listing for Sterrox fans.
https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/chromax
Sorry, brain lock on my part, I forgot the H240X is 280mm, not 240mm. Take back what I said previously, the Phoenix 240mm is not a side grade, it is a clear downgrade.

That said, the Sterroxx are only available in 120mm. In 140mm, look at the be quiet SW3, Phanteks' F140MP or eLoops as an upgrade.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 08:45 AM
⤷ αC

Rep: 815 (Unique: 548)
Also the site has an official thermal chart

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/EK-IM/EK-IM-3831109863817.pdf

As far as the pump itself:
Quote: Originally Posted by http://thermalbench.com/2016/06/30/ek-xtop-spc-60-inc-pump/3/
The EK SPC-60 pump ends up performing nearly identical to the XSPC X2O 420 and the D5 on Setting 3, but gets outperformed by the Topsflo TDC slightly. The SPC-60 is the quietest pump at full speed here though, again just slightly but still so, and a part of this is also attributed to the lower max speed here. The MCP30 (at 100% PWM) and Laing DDC perform better but are also louder. In fact, the SPC-60 does better and is quieter than the MCP30 when slowed down so this is going to be interesting to potential customers as well.

It's a shame that there's no site testing AIOs with standardized fans though that would be niche.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EK Phoenix temp.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	256882  

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Last edited by AlphaC; 03-03-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in