Choosing Radiator/s - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Choosing Radiator/s

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 05:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 24 (Unique: 20)
I Ignore the "overall" data because nobody runs 0,5GPM and it impacts negatively only certain rads. For my user case I look at 750p-p and 1300p-p data at 1GPM (although I think i could have a bit higher pressure in the final setup) and I average those.
For people that are forced to use slim rads, push only, most likely, those separate tables are very useful.

Let me reiterate: the data is data, objective by definition, but the adaptation is what matters in the end.

new rig 2019:
Intel 9900k >5ghz | Asus Maximus XI Gene | Eisbaer 360 LT (custom loop in progress) | bequiet! Dark Base 700 white edition | Team group Nighthawk 16GB 4000mhz | MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Storage: Intel Optane 900p 280GB + Samsung 970 evo plus 1TB + WD Red 3TB | Corsair HX850i | Benq BL3200PT 1440p | 1Gbit ftth |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 09:07 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 374 (Unique: 259)
Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by lovan6 View Post
I use an Inwin 303 with 360 GTS on top and 360 SR2 at the bottom with EK-XRES 110 Revo D5 PWM and work pretty well for the price of the case.

I was planning to use 2 360 SR2 top and bottom but the top can only fit up to 70mm radiator and fans clearance . the only solution I can think is install the fans at the back of honeycomb next to power supply on the top radiator as push and use a 600 watt mini itx power supply but I have not done it yet.
Quote: Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
It's a strange mix - one rad designed for highspeed and one for low speeds. How fast do you run your fans? I assume singles push. It's a dual loop perhaps?
Quote: Originally Posted by ryan92084 View Post
The GTS and SR-2 are both great low speed rads. Literally the top 2 on the old radiator roundup 750rpm test.
Quote: Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
I Ignore the "overall" data because.....
At this point, I'm inclined to believe that you simply ignore data ("overall", or otherwise) that doesn't strictly adhere to your narrative. You enjoy that, I'm out on this one.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....

Last edited by ciarlatano; 03-05-2019 at 09:16 AM.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 05:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
First, surface area counts for far more than thickness does when it comes to radiator efficiency in terms of heat dissipation. For example, a 140x280x45mm radiator will cool much better than a 120x240x60mm radiator and it will do it without your having to use push-pull fans on the 60mm.

Second, do not use any radiators that are thinner than an AlphaCool 45mm radiator because Alphacool 45mm radiators (and others) have ports on the top and bottom surfaces so you can run tubing from the bottom and put a 90degree air bleed on the top (and vice-versa). Plus Alphacool 45mm radiators have a port on the opposite end to make draining vertical radiators simple.

Third, if you decide to go with AlphaCool, be sure you get the "industrial" radiators because their lesser quality radiators have been subject to flow blockages in the past.

Fourth, if you want to know all there is to know about water cooling systems, and how to build them, talk to Joe at ModMyMods.com. He has been my mentor for the past ten years or so. Just tell him "Jack sent me" and wait until he finishes complaining before you ask your first question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 06:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
My personal system is very similar.
I now have 2x 360x40 ek rads with ek varder 120 fans 2200rpm. I had a 360 and a 240. I recently upgraded the 240 in the system to a 360 because it was struggling.
EK 140 D5 pump
8700k @5.2GHz and a 1080 Ti and also a water cooled ram block cooling 2x8GB Preditor @4000MHz.
This is my minimum to keep the fans at a low to medium rpm during the hottest months when playing BFV.
I use a T-sensor in the coolant for fan control to stop them ramping up and down continually.
I can feel the heat coming out of the radiators when it warms up.
I run pretty high vcore and vdimm so produce a fair bit of heat but I didn't want to worry about it.
Those are what's available in my area.
So I would go 2x360 rads for sure

If I were to do it again I would go for 420 rads with 140 fans.

I also removed all obstructions from the rads. Cut out the case grills etc and removed the side panel and it made a big difference
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190302_215123.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	257448  

https://valid.x86.fr/zemde6
Battlefield PC
(15 items)
CPU
8700k @ 5.2ghZ
Motherboard
Maximus X Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti Superclock 2 Black
RAM
Kingston Predator KHX4000C19D4/8GX 4000MHz @ 16-16-16-37-2
Hard Drive
Sansung M.2 1TB 970 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200i
Cooling
EK 140D5 Pump, waterblocked CPU, Ram, GPU with 2x 360mm Radiators and Vardar Fans
Case
ThermalTake V51
Operating System
Windows 10 Lite
Monitor
Dell Computer DELL U3415W 34.1 inches 3440 x 1440 pixels @ 48-85 Hz
Keyboard
Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
Mouse
Asus Spatha Wireless Gaming
Mouse
Ligitech G602 wireless
Mousepad
1000mm x 500mm
Audio
Steelseries Siberia800 wireless Headset
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by munternet; 03-05-2019 at 06:27 PM.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 06:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
It depends on your hardware configuration, the amount of space you have and your budget. I’d buy as many huge radiators as you can fit and afford. But if you do that, you’re gonna need a good pump. And at a certain point, all the cooling gear can draw enough power that you’d have to upgrade your power supply. But that’s usually only for insane loops like mine.
My preference is to put a radiator after each component in my loop. I have 2 loops, 2 pumps, 2 res. and 4 radiators.
However, I have a ThermalTake Core W200 case. It’s huge, and with all my gear inside I can barely lift it by myself. Well over 100 lbs. and the investment in my loops is more than most people’s whole systems.
So be prepared for that and spending hours or days when doing a build or making modifications. It took me 3 weeks of all my free time after work to put that system together the first time.
If you can handle that and the thought that a leak could potentially kill your hardware. Then you should join the ranks of the Elite lol
I have had hardware die from a leak, my graphics card got leaked on and it died, that was quite a few years ago. And I blame Asus for supplying garbage fittings was I too inexperienced to know to avoid. Although, I did have an Alphacool fitting that leaked recently. But I caught it before anything bad happened. Also, a couple years back my reservoir sprung a leak. But it just stained my carpet, nothing major. I use clear coolant now to avoid that.

post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by toolmaker03 View Post
well at minimum I would use a 360mm radiator. in truth you will need a second radiator as well. the smallest would be a additional 240mm radiator needed for this build, to run well, and cool. I would also suggest actually getting two 360mm radiators as that will be a little more than what is needed. also I would suggest getting some hardware labs GTX or GTR radiators for this build. I would also suggest getting a heat killer CPU water block, and the same for the GPU water block, if they make one for your video card. as for reservoirs I like monsoon, bitspower, and water cool. for all rotary fittings, I would suggest getting bitspower, or barrow only. for the compression fittings, I would suggest the use of koolance, or swiftech. for tubing I like norprene 3/8" ID 5/8" OD, as for the water pump, or pumps, I would suggest getting a XSPC, swiftech, water cool, or aqua computers D5.
Hi,

I am using and would highly recommend 2 nos. of 240mm XE radiators with fans in push pull. The CPU is a 5930K overclocked with a MSI 1080Ti EK X GPU. Control the fan speed and for me even gaming for a few hours the fans rarely cross 50% and hence it is extremely silent. Only when the ambient temperature is beyond 33C do the fans need to go to 70% and the temperatures have not exceeded 65C over the last 6 months+

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in