New Aquacomputer D5 pump has become noisy after only a couple of weeks - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

New Aquacomputer D5 pump has become noisy after only a couple of weeks

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by go4life View Post
Recommend a better fluid in that case.. Also the Alphacool and AquaComputer VPP/D5/Other series are certainly not copies.
I'm using Aquacomputer Double Protect Ultra in red. I don't think there is an issue with the fluid, it's not an opaque coolant and there's no residue or build up anywhere so I have no reason to believe there is an issue with it as this stage.

As ciarlatano said the Alphacool VPP is not a genuine D5, it's a D5 compatible pump made by Alphacool and has a history of failures, at least from what I found on this forum.

Quote: Originally Posted by cloppy007 View Post
I wouldn't rule out electrical noise yet, but, as others have said... check the impeller. It should be pristine even if it's 2 weeks old; mine is 4yo and still is. Besides that, are you sure it's not a coupling/vibration issue?
Electrical noise is certainly a possibility. If I don't find any debris then I would expect that may be the case.

I'm not sure how I would determine if it is a coupling or vibration issue to be honest.

Cheers

Primary System Specs: Lian Li PC-O11 DX - ROG Maximus XI Formula - Watercooled Intel 9900k (4.9Ghz) - Watercooled RTX 2080 Ti FE - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz CL16 32GB - Corsair RM1000i PSU - Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVME SSD

Secondary System Specs: Fractal Design Define S2 - ROG Maximus X Code - Watercooled Intel 8700k (5Ghz) - Watercooled Strix GTX 1080Ti OC - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz CL16 16GB - Seasonic X-1050W PSU - Intel 600P NVME SSD

Last edited by Zammin; 03-11-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 03:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
That sounds like you run the pump dry accidentally. Check the impeller for any scratches. Also make sure you never over tighten the pump with the top.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by lovan6 View Post
That sounds like you run the pump dry accidentally. Check the impeller for any scratches. Also make sure you never over tighten the pump with the top.
Thanks I will check for any irregularities when I get around to draining the system and pulling it out, but I guarantee you I didn't run it dry, it's not my first watercooling build and I was very careful as I'm well aware that running the pump dry is a no-no. Perhaps an important factor here is the fact that the issue started occurring after having the system running and full of fluid for a number of weeks, up until that point it has been silent, whether it was at full speed or 10%. I haven't drained the system or even opened it in that time so I don't believe it could have somehow run dry.

The pump is fitted to a Heatkiller Tube 200 D5 pump/res combo and has been fitted as per instructions. No bolts were over-tightened, It's a good mounting design and fairly fool proof.

Cheers.

Primary System Specs: Lian Li PC-O11 DX - ROG Maximus XI Formula - Watercooled Intel 9900k (4.9Ghz) - Watercooled RTX 2080 Ti FE - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz CL16 32GB - Corsair RM1000i PSU - Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVME SSD

Secondary System Specs: Fractal Design Define S2 - ROG Maximus X Code - Watercooled Intel 8700k (5Ghz) - Watercooled Strix GTX 1080Ti OC - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz CL16 16GB - Seasonic X-1050W PSU - Intel 600P NVME SSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 07:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Try to use a bubble level the pump and reservoir before dismantling the loop. Contact Sven at Aquacomputer support he can help you diagnosed the problem rather than sending the pump to Germany. Most of the time there is nothing wrong with the pump. You are not using any molex to SATA converter on the pump? Also try to use a different top if you have a spare.

Last edited by lovan6; 03-12-2019 at 08:02 AM.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by lovan6 View Post
Try to use a bubble level the pump and reservoir before dismantling the loop. Contact Sven at Aquacomputer support he can help you diagnosed the problem rather than sending the pump to Germany. Most of the time there is nothing wrong with the pump. You are not using any molex to SATA converter on the pump? Also try to use a different top if you have a spare.
Thanks I'll try to contact Aquacomputer support.

Sorry I don't really understand what I need the bubble level for before I take it apart?

I'm not using any converters on the pump. I don't have a spare pump either.

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 09:06 PM
-

Rep: 585 (Unique: 416)
Quote: Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post
The Alphacool VPP755 is ABSOLUTELY a D5 "compatible" knockoff, with an absolutely horrific service record and is what @Zammin was referring to - https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-w...-problems.html
Quote: Originally Posted by Zammin View Post
I'm using Aquacomputer Double Protect Ultra in red. I don't think there is an issue with the fluid, it's not an opaque coolant and there's no residue or build up anywhere so I have no reason to believe there is an issue with it as this stage.

As ciarlatano said the Alphacool VPP is not a genuine D5, it's a D5 compatible pump made by Alphacool and has a history of failures, at least from what I found on this forum.

Responding to you both. Personally have had all sorts of D5's (and experienced others), and have had no issues with the VPP755 after months of use. If anything it is doing exactly what was ment. The negatives comments and reviews (or unlucky/production error) are often more visible, and from what I understand is that Alphacool actually did fix all the issues as well as possible. Sadly still plagued with a lot of negative comments because of early prototypes and such that was sent out for reviewing.

It is actually a D5 style pump, and is genuine.

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by go4life View Post
Responding to you both. Personally have had all sorts of D5's (and experienced others), and have had no issues with the VPP755 after months of use. If anything it is doing exactly what was ment. The negatives comments and reviews (or unlucky/production error) are often more visible, and from what I understand is that Alphacool actually did fix all the issues as well as possible. Sadly still plagued with a lot of negative comments because of early prototypes and such that was sent out for reviewing.

It is actually a D5 style pump, and is genuine.
My point was only to specify that the pump I have is a normal Liang D5 based pump, not a D5 "style" pump made by another manufacturer. When I say "genuine" what I mean is that the base pump is a genuine Liang D5, you could technically say that the VPP755 is a "genuine" pump in the sense that it's a "genuine" Alphacool product but not a normal Liang D5.

I've never owned an Alphacool pump so I was only making comments based on the drama I saw surrounding them in the Aquatuning thread.

Anyway, point is, it's a Liang D5 with PWM control added by Aquacomputer. It's making an abnormal noise. I haven't removed it to inspect yet because Aquatuning are giving me the run around and trying to push the issue onto someone else instead of taking responsibility. I just want them to agree to let me return it for a refund if it is faulty before I go ahead and remove it (that way if I can't fix it I can just buy another pump locally and slap it in there instead of waiting god knows how long for Aquatuning to process a replacement) and they are not answering my questions, they are also asking me to cover the international shipping costs to return the pump to them without any guarantee of refund or replacement.

I bought through the Australian Aquatuning website and I'm pretty sure what they are doing is against our Consumer Laws. Instead of answering my questions they are now telling me to send it to Aquacomputer directly instead, again out of my own pocket.

Aquacomputer support are not responding to any of my emails either.

This will probably be the last time I buy from Aquatuning/Alphacool especially since 2/3 of my order was faulty equipment.

The main issue is that I can't have my PC offline for weeks, so if it's not a simple fix like a piece of debris in the impeller, I need to buy another pump straight away. So returning the pump for a refund is the most ideal option in this instance but it's proving to be incredibly difficult to organise...

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 03:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
You did not identify the causes of noise, but blame the manufacturer. Weird approach. You cannot dismantle and inspect the pump for two weeks.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by GAN77 View Post
You did not identify the causes of noise, but blame the manufacturer. Weird approach. You cannot dismantle and inspect the pump for two weeks.
I feel as though this is a rough way to look at the situation but my apologies if there's been a misunderstanding. I don't blame Aquacomputer (the manufacturer) as I didn't buy from them, in fact I haven't gotten a response from them on the matter at all.

I haven't taken the pump out because I want to secure a resolution in the case that it's not a simple case of some debris that needs to be removed. I did say a few times that I can't have my PC offline for multiple weeks. Aquatuning are the crowd I bought it off and they are not answering any of my questions. They haven't even agreed to replace or refund the product if I send it back. They've just told me to send it to them at my own cost, and when asked other questions I was told to send it to Aquacomputer at my own cost instead, again without any agreement to refund.

So lets say I go through the trouble of setting up the workbench, moving my PC, draining my loop, pulling parts out and removing the pump right now. If it does happen to be something that is easily fixed, then fantastic. Lucky me. I put the pump back in and all is well. ...But we don't know that, there is just as much chance it's faulty and needs to be replaced. To me it sounds like electrical noise, but I could be wrong.

If it is faulty as I suspect, I have to stick it back in the system again and refill the loop so I have a running PC until I sort out this stuff with Aquatuning (who are very unresponsive) and then take it out again and send it away once I finally convince them to comply with our consumer laws and cover the return costs. It's just extra work that's unnecessary.

To me the ideal order of doing things is to sort out the return path with Aquatuning first, remove the pump, if it's faulty then return for a refund and buy another pump.

So to summarise, what I want is to have confirmation from the retailer (not the manufacturer) that if the pump is faulty as I suspect, I can send it back to them for a refund, without being penalised with international postage costs.

Last edited by Zammin; 03-18-2019 at 05:05 AM.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

For the record I also need to replace my Barrowch temp display, and I'm waiting on the replacement to arrive before I do this so I can knock it all out in one go rather than drain and fill the system multiple times. Hope that makes sense.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in