Does your Norprene tubing do this to copper blocks? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Does your Norprene tubing do this to copper blocks?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 07:07 AM
News Fiend
 
ryan92084's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: 'merica
Posts: 2,116
Just looks like oxidation with maybe some particulate cruddy bumps to me. Its just water+copper+time no norprene or kill coil required. Heat will speed it up and a corrosion inhibitor will slow it down but run a loop long enough (especially if you don't flush) and it'll happen. Honestly the layer of oxidation will have a negligible effect on performance while the same cannot be said about some inhibitors so just run with it.

The people who panic over this sort of thing would drop dead if I showed the inside of my old d-tek fuzion gpu. That thing is almost vanta black inside after being in use for 10+ years and its never seen a kill coil.

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
kill coils are BAD. IDK why they're still being manufactured & sold.

I wish we could go back & clean up all the bad info in these easy to find first time watercooler guides that're a decade old at this point.
There is nothing to clean up. They do their job simply and well.

Meh '12
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX Fury X
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 F4-3200C14D-16GTZSW
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro-Series
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Enterprise NAS SATA (ST4000VN0001)
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive WD1003FZEX
Power Supply
SEASONIC PLATINUM-860 860W RT
Cooling
Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS Radiator x2
Cooling
Monsoon MMRS Reservoir + D5 pump + mountings
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal
Cooling
EKWB Fury X
Cooling
Monsoon Free Center 1/2ID 3/4OD fittings + Rotaries + plug + Temp probe
Cooling
BeQuiet SilentWings 3 High Speed PWM x 9
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 27" IPS 27UK650
Keyboard
Massdrop CTRL
Mouse
Logitech g403
Mousepad
HAYATE KOU FX SOFT NINJA Black L
Audio
Blue Yeti Black
Audio
Massdrop x AKG K7XX
Other
LIAN LI O11D-1X ,Riser Cable and cover bracket for PC-O11D
CPU
i5 3570k
Motherboard
Z77x-UD5H
GPU
Zotac 670 GTX AMP!
RAM
G.Skill f3-2400c10D-16gtx
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
Optical Drive
Some old thing
Power Supply
Seasonic platinum 860w
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Customized Thermaltake Armor
Operating System
Win 10 pro
Monitor
Dell U2413
Keyboard
Ducky Shine
Mouse
Logi G502
▲ hide details ▲



Last edited by ryan92084; 03-19-2019 at 07:10 AM.
ryan92084 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 08:31 AM
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
 
Alex132's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,365
Rep: 342 (Unique: 274)
I've never had good luck with them, they seem to do nothing at all.

| This Cannot Continue | We Are Become As Gods | This Cannot Continue |

Vehicles:
Current: None.
Ex: '07 Fiat Palio, '07 Honda Accord Type-S
Illya
(26 items)
Yuki
(23 items)
CPU
Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Master
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB 4000Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Red 8TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
Cooling
EK Velocity CPU Block
Cooling
EK 1080 Ti FTW3 GPU Block
Cooling
HardwareLabs GTX420
Cooling
HardwareLabs GTS280
Cooling
HardwareLabs GTS140
Cooling
EK D5 140 Glass Pump/res
Case
Phanteks Evolv X
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 165Hz 1440p
Monitor
I-INC 1920x1200 TN 27"
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 Midnight
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mousepad
CoolerMaster Swift-RX XL
Audio
Sennhesier HD650
Audio
Schiit Jotunheim Amp/DAC
Audio
Samson C01U Microphone
Audio
Edifier R1700BT
Other
Oculus Rift
CPU
Intel 2500K 5Ghz
Motherboard
ASUS P8P67 Pro
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
RAM
G.Skill RipJaws X 2133Mhz 16GB
Hard Drive
120GB Corsair Neutron GTX
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Red 8TB
Power Supply
EVGA G3 850W
Cooling
Hyper 212
Cooling
EK Vardar fans
Case
Corsair 270R w/TG mod
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Asus ROG Swift PG279Q
Monitor
I-Inc 1200p
Keyboard
Razer BlackWidow 2013
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Mousepad
CoolerMaster Swift-RX XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Audio
Schiit Jotunheim Balanced DAC + Amp
Audio
Edifier R1700BT Speakers
Audio
Samson C01U Microphone
Other
Oculus Rift
Other
PS4 Controller
▲ hide details ▲


Alex132 is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 08:41 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
skupples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 20,213
Rep: 580 (Unique: 324)
seen many many people use just silver & get awesome biotic messes.

also, if i remember correctly. They can help accelerate your water's ph, specially when using nickel... It's been a few years, I'll see if I can find the data.

They're worse than worthless, as by doing nothing (at best) they're destructive.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
skupples is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 03:27 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
sok0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 88
Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Every copper block ive ever had looked somewhat similar to that no matter what coolant / coil / etc after a year or 2. Its normal and has almost no effect on cooling.

sok0 is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff
 
animal0307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: A corn field in Illinois.
Posts: 3,530
Rep: 116 (Unique: 103)
Quote: Originally Posted by ryan92084 View Post
Just looks like oxidation with maybe some particulate cruddy bumps to me. Its just water+copper+time no norprene or kill coil required. Heat will speed it up and a corrosion inhibitor will slow it down but run a loop long enough (especially if you don't flush) and it'll happen. Honestly the layer of oxidation will have a negligible effect on performance while the same cannot be said about some inhibitors so just run with it.

The people who panic over this sort of thing would drop dead if I showed the inside of my old d-tek fuzion gpu. That thing is almost vanta black inside after being in use for 10+ years and its never seen a kill coil.



There is nothing to clean up. They do their job simply and well.

Cool. That's what my limited research was yielding as well. Since there are no chunks and its all superficial surface corrosion I'm not going to worry about. I used to fold on my GPU as well. It went for about 2 years straight so the "extreme" oxidation from extra heat and 3 years of neglect would make sense.


Quote: Originally Posted by Alex132 View Post
I've never had good luck with them, they seem to do nothing at all.
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
seen many many people use just silver & get awesome biotic messes.

also, if i remember correctly. They can help accelerate your water's ph, specially when using nickel... It's been a few years, I'll see if I can find the data.

They're worse than worthless, as by doing nothing (at best) they're destructive.
I personally have never had a bio-mess, though I have never tried using anything other than silver and DI H2O. I have had bits of detritus and lint from poor loop cleaning/flushing and some surface oxidation apparently. Also couldn't say I ever tested the pH levels.

I have avoided nickle plated blocks because of the nasty flaking issues a few years back. I saw zero need to add extra bling and risk to my loops since I'm water cool for the performance/reduced fan noise.

If you find any of that data that would be awesome to share.


Quote: Originally Posted by sok0 View Post
Every copper block ive ever had looked somewhat similar to that no matter what coolant / coil / etc after a year or 2. Its normal and has almost no effect on cooling.
Glad to see there are others that have the same experience with raw copper as I do. I hadn't noticed any appreciable change in the performance of the loop though I never kept records of what it was like new so I can't say if i had or not.


Given the general consensus is that it's likely not the Norprene but rather the use of silver vs regular oxidation I will make a note in the original post.



Last edited by animal0307; 03-19-2019 at 04:42 PM. Reason: oxide vs corrosion usage
animal0307 is offline  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 04:52 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Cloudforever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,268
Rep: 60 (Unique: 46)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
kill coils are BAD. IDK why they're still being manufactured & sold.

I wish we could go back & clean up all the bad info in these easy to find first time watercooler guides that're a decade old at this point.

time to shill for mayhems.

no silver, just biocide+and inhibitor+ and you'll have the cleanest system you've ever experienced.
I have 2 kill coils in my water loop (using distilled water) for 1 year so far and it's just as clear as it was from day one?

maybe you mean if you use liquids other than water, they are bad? I would have to agree with that

Cloudforever is offline  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 05:10 PM
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
 
Cyber Locc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: White Moutians, Arizona
Posts: 3,632
Rep: 114 (Unique: 79)
Quote: Originally Posted by broodro0ster View Post
Yea, silver coil isn't very good anymore and speeds up corrosion. It's good for algea, but not for corrosion.
Everybody should stop using kills coils and use a fluid with biocide and corrorion inhibitor included. Something like Mayhems Biocide+ mixed with Inhibitor+ is perfect.
Its funny to see this, I been trying to tell people this for YEARS! And am still thoroughly upset, that my copper ray storm looks like this due to monsoon changing their fittings to Silver, and after 3 months of using the extra 4 I added to the loop, my Raystorm also looked like that.

You are giving me the impression that is what is commonly said around here which is funny all the hours, and threads I spent fighting that here .

Quote: Originally Posted by Cloudforever View Post
I have 2 kill coils in my water loop (using distilled water) for 1 year so far and it's just as clear as it was from day one?

maybe you mean if you use liquids other than water, they are bad? I would have to agree with that
Nope, with just water, 4 Monsoon fittings did that to my copper raystorm in a couple of months. the issue is not Copper + Silver, its Copper + Silver + Nickel.

Even then, like Ryan said, its going to happen with copper period. However Copper+Silver+Nickel speeds up the process.

My siggy so empty frown.gif
Favorite OCN Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakusonfire go_quote.gif

You are just talking more and more nonsense now. It's time to take this back to whatever noob forum it came from.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited by Cyber Locc; 03-19-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Cyber Locc is offline  
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 06:28 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
toolmaker03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,410
Rep: 86 (Unique: 65)
Quote: Originally Posted by Cyber Locc View Post
Its funny to see this, I been trying to tell people this for YEARS! And am still thoroughly upset, that my copper ray storm looks like this due to monsoon changing their fittings to Silver, and after 3 months of using the extra 4 I added to the loop, my Raystorm also looked like that.

ok, so you where upset because nobody would agree with you years ago about this issue. now that people have educated themselves, and more evidence of this is available. now, you are still upset, because people today actually agree with the message, that you have finally got across to others. IMO their is no pleasing you, because it seems that no matter what happens, you will find a reason to be upset about it.


Quote: Originally Posted by Cyber Locc View Post
You are giving me the impression that is what is commonly said around here which is funny all the hours, and threads I spent fighting that here

https://www.overclock.net/forum/rigbu...tle=AMD+AM3%2B
AMD AM3+
(13 items)
TEC Power
(21 items)
CPU
FX9590
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth 990FX
GPU
GTX580
RAM
Samsung 1600
Hard Drive
Intel 520 SSD 120Gigs
Optical Drive
DVD
Power Supply
Enermax 1350
Cooling
water cooled
Monitor
Asus 27"
Keyboard
microsoft ergo
Mouse
RAT 9
Mousepad
steel series
Audio
ZX 7
CPU
3930K
Motherboard
DX79SR
GPU
GTX580
RAM
G skill 2133Mhz
Hard Drive
Intel 3700
Optical Drive
Asus
Power Supply
OCZ 1250W, TT 600W, PowerMax 4 X 500W
Cooling
9 X TEC's 250W 15A 24V
Cooling
Standard Water cooling to cool the TEC's 6 X 360mm radiators
Cooling
19 X CPU water blocks
Cooling
2 X GTX580 GPU water blocks
Cooling
6 X water pumps
Cooling
3 X CPU air coolers
Case
Coustom PC case inside a vacuum chamber
Operating System
Windows 7
Monitor
Dell 30" ultra sharp
Keyboard
Blackwidow
Mouse
RAT 9
Mouse
Gaming Pad
Audio
2.1 sound
Audio
G930 head set
CPU
Intel i7 3930K
Motherboard
Intel DX79SR
GPU
GTX580
RAM
G-Skill
Hard Drive
Intel 3700
Optical Drive
Asus DVD
Power Supply
1250W
Cooling
Water Cooled
Case
H2OQPower
Operating System
Win7
Monitor
Asus
Keyboard
Razer
Mouse
R.A.T.9
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by toolmaker03; 03-19-2019 at 06:35 PM.
toolmaker03 is offline  
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 08:48 PM
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
 
Cyber Locc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: White Moutians, Arizona
Posts: 3,632
Rep: 114 (Unique: 79)
Ahh my friend toolmaker, its been a long time . Its been too long .

Quote: Originally Posted by toolmaker03 View Post
Qok, so you where upset because nobody would agree with you years ago about this issue.
Not really upset was a figuring of speech, you know sarcasm and joking do not translate well on the net, so understandable. I did spend a lot of time arguing that very point, with users and Manufactures however . However I hold Zero grudges with anyone, here or anywhere .

Quote: Originally Posted by toolmaker03 View Post
now that people have educated themselves, and more evidence of this is available. now, you are still upset, because people today actually agree with the message, that you have finally got across to others. IMO their is no pleasing you, because it seems that no matter what happens, you will find a reason to be upset about it.
I'm not upset people have found more evidence and learning about it, at all. I am very happy, and sorry for those that had to learn the hard way to make this info apparent .


On another note, how did your parallel loop go? Do you have an updated thread for me to check out?

My siggy so empty frown.gif
Favorite OCN Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakusonfire go_quote.gif

You are just talking more and more nonsense now. It's time to take this back to whatever noob forum it came from.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Cyber Locc is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off