Question about radiator placement in the Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Question about radiator placement in the Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Question about radiator placement in the Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

I'm building in an O11 Dynamic and I'd like to have one of these two configurations with two 360mm radiators:

Side mounted radiator intake (push), Top-mounted radiator intake (push)

Side mounted radiator intake (push), Top-mounted radiator exhaust (pull)

I've chosen these two mainly for aesthetic reasons so I don't have the fans visible inside the case. My question is if I'm limiting airflow and/or cooling by going with either of these and if one is generally a better option than the other.

I'm going to be cooling a 9900k and a 2080 Ti with this build as well.

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:08 PM
News Fiend

In my personal testing in in was best but only with exhaust fans in the bottom otherwise it just turned into a hotbox. Side in top out wasn't much worse but I was also using a very slow intake on the bottom. Sadly I didn't do any testing with nothing in the bottom.

As a heads up plumbing the side radiator if it is in the main chamber will be challenging as I believe the mounting holes force it to be in a ports up orientation. At least they do with the rad in the side chamber.

Meh '12
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX Fury X
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 F4-3200C14D-16GTZSW
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro-Series
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Enterprise NAS SATA (ST4000VN0001)
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive WD1003FZEX
Power Supply
SEASONIC PLATINUM-860 860W RT
Cooling
Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS Radiator x2
Cooling
Monsoon MMRS Reservoir + D5 pump + mountings
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal
Cooling
EKWB Fury X
Cooling
Monsoon Free Center 1/2ID 3/4OD fittings + Rotaries + plug + Temp probe
Cooling
BeQuiet SilentWings 3 High Speed PWM x 9
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 27" IPS 27UK650
Keyboard
Massdrop CTRL
Mouse
Logitech g403
Mousepad
HAYATE KOU FX SOFT NINJA Black L
Audio
Blue Yeti Black
Audio
Massdrop x AKG K7XX
Other
LIAN LI O11D-1X ,Riser Cable and cover bracket for PC-O11D
CPU
i5 3570k
Motherboard
Z77x-UD5H
GPU
Zotac 670 GTX AMP!
RAM
G.Skill f3-2400c10D-16gtx
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
Optical Drive
Some old thing
Power Supply
Seasonic platinum 860w
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Customized Thermaltake Armor
Operating System
Win 10 pro
Monitor
Dell U2413
Keyboard
Ducky Shine
Mouse
Logi G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ryan92084 View Post
In my personal testing in in was best but only with exhaust fans in the bottom otherwise it just turned into a hotbox. Side in top out wasn't much worse but I was also using a very slow intake on the bottom. Sadly I didn't do any testing with nothing in the bottom.

As a heads up plumbing the side radiator if it is in the main chamber will be challenging as I believe the mounting holes force it to be in a ports up orientation. At least they do with the rad in the side chamber.
Thanks, that is interesting. I was hoping that the bottom and rear vents would be enough to exhaust the air with both side and top set up as intake. Also, were you running your top exhaust in push or pull? I would be running in pull and I'm worried if that would be inefficient.

I have a couple of HWLabs Nemesis 360 GTS that I'm putting in this build. Looks like the side rad can be mounted with ports at the bottom and most of the holes will line up. You're right though, not much room at all if it's mounted with the ports at the top. If it comes to that I'm hopping I'll be able to work some magic with fittings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Hardware canucks did a whole video on fan placement in the O11 dynamic

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 122 (Unique: 84)
just a heads up, this case is tight if you plan on watercooling your gpu you pretty much need to have the vertical gpu adaptor and the front inside radiator really doesn't have a lot of space for some of the newer motherboards so be careful

(If y'all) ain’t ready for the old murder, then what you gonna do with the new me?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by tatmMRKIV View Post
just a heads up, this case is tight if you plan on watercooling your gpu you pretty much need to have the vertical gpu adaptor and the front inside radiator really doesn't have a lot of space for some of the newer motherboards so be careful
Thanks for the heads up. I still haven't chosen a motherboard but I'm thinking of going with an Aorus Master. Unfortunately, it has a gigantic shroud on the VRM heatsinks so that might be an issue. I'm planning on picking one up from Microcenter and hopefully it's returnable if it doesn't have enough clearance for fittings at the top radiator ports.

As far as the GPU goes, I bought a Heatkiller IV block since it seems to be compatible in either vertical or horizontal mount configurations. I do plan on mounting it vertically though.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 11:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 122 (Unique: 84)
biggest issues will be gpu and radiator. also that. its tight up there. I went with a dark so thats not a really bad issue for me but I can't do push/pull

honestly, build quality isn't very good either. I regret getting mine. I had a lot of issues getting gpu to screw in in standard configuration.

(If y'all) ain’t ready for the old murder, then what you gonna do with the new me?

Last edited by tatmMRKIV; 03-20-2019 at 11:09 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 05:47 AM
News Fiend

Quote: Originally Posted by annul View Post
Thanks, that is interesting. I was hoping that the bottom and rear vents would be enough to exhaust the air with both side and top set up as intake. Also, were you running your top exhaust in push or pull? I would be running in pull and I'm worried if that would be inefficient.

I have a couple of HWLabs Nemesis 360 GTS that I'm putting in this build. Looks like the side rad can be mounted with ports at the bottom and most of the holes will line up. You're right though, not much room at all if it's mounted with the ports at the top. If it comes to that I'm hopping I'll be able to work some magic with fittings.
My top exhaust test would have been push. All tests were with bequiet! SW3 running between 900-1000rpm with a full load on the sig rig.

Quote: Originally Posted by crazycuz2k View Post
https://youtu.be/KU6vIDpNaxw Hardware canucks did a whole video on fan placement in the O11 dynamic
Only a clc on the cpu so not really comparable
Quote: Originally Posted by annul View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I still haven't chosen a motherboard but I'm thinking of going with an Aorus Master. Unfortunately, it has a gigantic shroud on the VRM heatsinks so that might be an issue. I'm planning on picking one up from Microcenter and hopefully it's returnable if it doesn't have enough clearance for fittings at the top radiator ports.

As far as the GPU goes, I bought a Heatkiller IV block since it seems to be compatible in either vertical or horizontal mount configurations. I do plan on mounting it vertically though.
I don't think the gts is thick enough to have any worry about either clearance. There is more than enough room up top and the side is staggered by at least 25mm iirc.

Meh '12
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX Fury X
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 F4-3200C14D-16GTZSW
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro-Series
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Enterprise NAS SATA (ST4000VN0001)
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive WD1003FZEX
Power Supply
SEASONIC PLATINUM-860 860W RT
Cooling
Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS Radiator x2
Cooling
Monsoon MMRS Reservoir + D5 pump + mountings
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal
Cooling
EKWB Fury X
Cooling
Monsoon Free Center 1/2ID 3/4OD fittings + Rotaries + plug + Temp probe
Cooling
BeQuiet SilentWings 3 High Speed PWM x 9
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 27" IPS 27UK650
Keyboard
Massdrop CTRL
Mouse
Logitech g403
Mousepad
HAYATE KOU FX SOFT NINJA Black L
Audio
Blue Yeti Black
Audio
Massdrop x AKG K7XX
Other
LIAN LI O11D-1X ,Riser Cable and cover bracket for PC-O11D
CPU
i5 3570k
Motherboard
Z77x-UD5H
GPU
Zotac 670 GTX AMP!
RAM
G.Skill f3-2400c10D-16gtx
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
Optical Drive
Some old thing
Power Supply
Seasonic platinum 860w
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Customized Thermaltake Armor
Operating System
Win 10 pro
Monitor
Dell U2413
Keyboard
Ducky Shine
Mouse
Logi G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 09:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 33 (Unique: 29)
Just found this... 3 x 360 rad.

https://youtu.be/mdsVU1i6Y_Q

Self Proclaimed Gaming Nutt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in