Kryonaut drying out? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Kryonaut drying out?

post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:28 PM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 71 (Unique: 55)
Quote: Originally Posted by skawster View Post

Yeah I'll probably stick with NT-H1 for now, I did send Thermal Grizzly and email with these pictures so hopefully they will reply if this is normal or not.
Hi,
A few have said soak the kryonaut tubes in hot water lol that alone can give you an idea how bad it is just in the tube.

CPU
i9-9940x With Heatkiller IV Pro and VRM Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
Hardware Enthusiast

Rep: 13 (Unique: 13)
Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
A few have said soak the kryonaut tubes in hot water lol that alone can give you an idea how bad it is just in the tube.
Well that explains a lot!
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 02:56 PM
Meep

Rep: 299 (Unique: 220)
It seems to be an issue with a lot of the highest performance pastes. I recently got some CM Mastergel Maker. And while mine was fine, there were a few reviews that reported them being delivered just entirely dried out in the tube.

I assume these high performance pastes just have a higher density of conductive particles, thus are more prone to drying out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 04:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
i wanted to buy kryonaut myself, but heard horror stories, that thing scratches heatsinks, dies and what not. not to mention its max operating temp is 80c, above that temp paste dries out quickly and become less effective. i go with ek ectotherm and see how it goes. really wanted to try kryonaut since everyone praise it, well almost everyone but aint gonna risk.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 05:50 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 71 (Unique: 55)
Hi,
Yeah I've got a large tube of ectotherm not used any of it just a small tube that came with mono block but ruled it out maybe prematurely seeing the issue then was clogged ek razor blade jet plate because of bad batch of ek kryofuel premix not poor thermal paste application...

CPU
i9-9940x With Heatkiller IV Pro and VRM Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:53 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 404 (Unique: 271)
Hi,
Yeah I've got a large tube of ectotherm not used any of it just a small tube that came with mono block but ruled it out maybe prematurely seeing the issue then was clogged ek razor blade jet plate because of bad batch of ek kryofuel premix not poor thermal paste application...
I'm sure Ectotherm is another TIM simply rebranded. Any idea what it is? They were rebranding GC Extreme prior to the release of this.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by Zfast4y0u View Post
i wanted to buy kryonaut myself, but heard horror stories, that thing scratches heatsinks, dies and what not. not to mention its max operating temp is 80c, above that temp paste dries out quickly and become less effective. i go with ek ectotherm and see how it goes. really wanted to try kryonaut since everyone praise it, well almost everyone but aint gonna risk.
How much time are you planning on spending above 80C? I have an overclocked 9900K and the only times I get over 80C for any sustained period of time is running benchmarks or stress tests.

All pastes dry out over time and eventually need to be reapplied. Kryonaut at least supposedly has minimal degradation below 80C which is where you probably spend 99.99% of your time.

As for scratching heatsinks, I'm not sure how that's possible. I use the paste myself and it's similar consistency to MX-4 or a number of other non-conductive pastes. It's not abrasive and it won't scratch anything.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Hi,
I've had no issues applying Kryonaut straight out of the tube. It's plenty thin to spread around using their applicator or another tool. That said, yes their instructions do tell you to use hot water to warm up the sealed container if you want it thinner.

My application method with it which has worked well is to spread a thin layer and then put a little extra in the center to fill in any bare spots from rubbing as I apply the block. Yes this is more paste than I need, but you really can't use too much paste. Any extra just gets squeezed out the sides once it's tightened down (though obviously don't go crazy and make a huge mess).
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by tostitobandito View Post
How much time are you planning on spending above 80C? I have an overclocked 9900K and the only times I get over 80C for any sustained period of time is running benchmarks or stress tests.

All pastes dry out over time and eventually need to be reapplied. Kryonaut at least supposedly has minimal degradation below 80C which is where you probably spend 99.99% of your time.

As for scratching heatsinks, I'm not sure how that's possible. I use the paste myself and it's similar consistency to MX-4 or a number of other non-conductive pastes. It's not abrasive and it won't scratch anything.

im not planing to run it at all, in my case. imo this paste is designed for water cooled builds, not regular stock cooled gpu's or air cooled cpu's. still, the headroom you have with this paste aint great imo, cause its degradation is fast on 80c or above, and if u overclock cpu like 9900k, not sure if u can keep it under 80c under full load. for gaming, ofc u can slip under this 80c mark np.

i was doing some digging on google and found this:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/th...sive.18827970/

you can see there what happend with 8700k die after paste was applied, thats some horror **** right there.

i had another user on youtube replaying to one of my posts, telling me in 20 years of his work with pc's he never experienced that TIM can actually scratch his heat sink and IHS like krayonaut did in his case. there is something in this, not just user ''errors''.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

There's no 9900K on the planet that can stay under 80C full load (excluding sub-ambient cooling). 90-100C under max stress test load is typical at around 1.30-1.33v which is the usual 24/7 OC territory. I'll also point out that just about any paste is going to dry out at very high temps. Kryonaut isn't alone there, and probably fares about as well as the competition.

As for scratching, yeah I dunno. It looks like something was going on based on that thread. I know that I've applied it twice now to my CPU/AIO and both were completely unscathed after cleaning. If I were to get scratches/scuffs like that I'd probably clean it up with some very fine grit wetsanding on a flat surface. They can't be very deep at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in