Kryonaut drying out? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Kryonaut drying out?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
Hardware Enthusiast
 
skawster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 130
Rep: 13 (Unique: 13)
Kryonaut drying out?

pics: https://imgur.com/a/Ykaa4sf

Got some Kryonaut to try out, repasted a few PCs including an old 2600k under a NH-D14, the CPU is OCed to 4.8 @ 1.38v and is predominantly used for gaming and on average sits at ~67C under load. I applied the paste as TG recommends, by spreading it out, and everything seemed fine, the temps were good (very similar to the previous application of Noctua's NT-H1) and nothing seemed wrong.


Yesterday, a month after the initial application, I decided I needed the NH-D14 for another PC so I took it off only to find out that the Kryonaut underneath dried out in the exact spot where the CPU die is, what's weird is that I did run a 15min prime95 v26.6 small FFT test and the temps were exactly as the day I applied it.


I wouldn't care much about the paste drying up as the temps are the same if I also didn't use the same tube of Kryonaut for a GTX 1080ti Poseidon which is in a custom loop and has been exhibiting quite abnormal temps, namely when I first replaced the paste on it the temps were around 14-16c delta (water to gpu temp) but now under the same conditions the have went up to 20-21c and being that the paste on the GPU is a month older than on the 2600k it seems like it's reached a point that it's affecting the temps.


TL;DR Used Kryonaut for the first time, dried up a bit after a month of being used on a 2600k, didn't affect the temps but a GTX 1080ti Poseidon in a custom loop repasted with the same tube is now exhibiting higher temps deciding if I should drain the loop and repaste the GPU.

edit: https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-w...l#post27922914

Last edited by skawster; 04-05-2019 at 08:18 AM.
skawster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:39 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
toolmaker03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,384
Rep: 84 (Unique: 64)
well I have used AS5 for years, and it has always worked well for me. so that is what I would suggest, repaste with AS5.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/rigbu...tle=AMD+AM3%2B
AMD AM3+
(13 items)
TEC Power
(21 items)
CPU
FX9590
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth 990FX
GPU
GTX580
RAM
Samsung 1600
Hard Drive
Intel 520 SSD 120Gigs
Optical Drive
DVD
Power Supply
Enermax 1350
Cooling
water cooled
Monitor
Asus 27"
Keyboard
microsoft ergo
Mouse
RAT 9
Mousepad
steel series
Audio
ZX 7
CPU
3930K
Motherboard
DX79SR
GPU
GTX580
RAM
G skill 2133Mhz
Hard Drive
Intel 3700
Optical Drive
Asus
Power Supply
OCZ 1250W, TT 600W, PowerMax 4 X 500W
Cooling
9 X TEC's 250W 15A 24V
Cooling
Standard Water cooling to cool the TEC's 6 X 360mm radiators
Cooling
19 X CPU water blocks
Cooling
2 X GTX580 GPU water blocks
Cooling
6 X water pumps
Cooling
3 X CPU air coolers
Case
Coustom PC case inside a vacuum chamber
Operating System
Windows 7
Monitor
Dell 30" ultra sharp
Keyboard
Blackwidow
Mouse
RAT 9
Mouse
Gaming Pad
Audio
2.1 sound
Audio
G930 head set
CPU
Intel i7 3930K
Motherboard
Intel DX79SR
GPU
GTX580
RAM
G-Skill
Hard Drive
Intel 3700
Optical Drive
Asus DVD
Power Supply
1250W
Cooling
Water Cooled
Case
H2OQPower
Operating System
Win7
Monitor
Asus
Keyboard
Razer
Mouse
R.A.T.9
▲ hide details ▲
toolmaker03 is offline  
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:44 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
broodro0ster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 544
Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
My Kryonaut did the same and the temps on the GPU raised about 1-2°C after 1-2months and then stayed stable.
Noctua NH1 was little better initially for me, but after 3 weeks the temps raised 4-5°C and in the end the Kryonaut was better long term.

Also GPU's can heat up more with certain games then others, so make sure it's not that. I use Heaven Benchmark to benchmark my GPU since it a good reference to compare temps after a while.

My Rig
(18 items)
CPU
Intel i7 8700k
Motherboard
Asus Hero X
GPU
MSI 1080TI Gaming X
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000C15
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair RM850X
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO
Cooling
Dual Hardware Labs Nemesis 360GTS with FD Venturi HP-12 PWM fans
Cooling
EK D5 PWM
Cooling
EK 1080 Strix waterblock + backplate
Case
Fractal Design Define R6
Operating System
Windows Pro 10
Monitor
Acer XB271HU 1440p 165hz IPS
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Zowie FK-2
Mousepad
Steel Series QCK Heavy
Audio
Sennheiser HD598 + ModMic 4.0
▲ hide details ▲
broodro0ster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:12 AM
Iconoclast
 
Blameless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 30,080
Rep: 3134 (Unique: 1869)
Quote: Originally Posted by skawster View Post
pics: https://imgur.com/a/Ykaa4sf

Got some Kryonaut to try out, repasted a few PCs including an old 2600k under a NH-D14, the CPU is OCed to 4.8 @ 1.38v and is predominantly used for gaming and on average sits at ~67C under load. I applied the paste as TG recommends, by spreading it out, and everything seemed fine, the temps were good (very similar to the previous application of Noctua's NT-H1) and nothing seemed wrong.


Yesterday, a month after the initial application, I decided I needed the NH-D14 for another PC so I took it off only to find out that the Kryonaut underneath dried out in the exact spot where the CPU die is, what's weird is that I did run a 15min prime95 v26.6 small FFT test and the temps were exactly as the day I applied it.


I wouldn't care much about the paste drying up as the temps are the same if I also didn't use the same tube of Kryonaut for a GTX 1080ti Poseidon which is in a custom loop and has been exhibiting quite abnormal temps, namely when I first replaced the paste on it the temps were around 14-16c delta (water to gpu temp) but now under the same conditions the have went up to 20-21c and being that the paste on the GPU is a month older than on the 2600k it seems like it's reached a point that it's affecting the temps.


TL;DR Used Kryonaut for the first time, dried up a bit after a month of being used on a 2600k, didn't affect the temps but a GTX 1080ti Poseidon in a custom loop repasted with the same tube is now exhibiting higher temps deciding if I should drain the loop and repaste the GPU.
Are you sure it was actually dried out and not simply disturbed by thermal expansion/contraction cycles?

I rarely advise just spreading a thin layer of TIM unless both contact surfaces are extremely flat and made of materials with similar expansion coefficients. Putting a small dab in the center after placing a thin later is usually wise, to ensure that there are no voids.

GPU dies also need extra care as they are so large and generally not lidded. A little extra TIM, again to displace any air and ensure there are no voids, as well as to account for any pump out that may occur early on, is something I've always advocated.

I'm not yet convinced of the extreme long term viability of Kryonaut, but only lasting a month sounds like an application error.

Quote: Originally Posted by toolmaker03 View Post
well I have used AS5 for years, and it has always worked well for me. so that is what I would suggest, repaste with AS5.
AS5 works well enough in most scenarios, but has been long since surpassed in every metric (performance, value, longevity, safety, ease of application, ease of clean up, etc) by a whole slew of more modern TIMs.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
Blameless is offline  
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:36 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
NewUser16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,014
Rep: 37 (Unique: 24)
I had similar scenario. It did not really dried out but it did hardened slightly and temp went up 1-2C. I changed to MX4 on my CPU and 3x GPUs and from taking apart 4 months later I still think it's one of the best if not the best thermal compounds
NewUser16 is offline  
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:47 AM
Overclocker in training
 
ThrashZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 6,475
Rep: 54 (Unique: 44)
Hi,
Kryonaut is way over priced and over rated NT-H1 is fine.

Vaper
(4 items)
CPU
i9-99400x With evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
ASUS x299 TUF Mark 2
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
redragon
Audio
Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5930k with evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000w P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon
Audio
Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
SMOK Alien 220w
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-3mg
▲ hide details ▲
ThrashZone is online now  
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:51 AM
Shooting down fallacies
 
ciarlatano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NYC Metro
Posts: 6,760
Rep: 383 (Unique: 263)
Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
Kryonaut is way over priced and over rated NT-H1 is fine.
^This

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
ciarlatano is offline  
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
Hardware Enthusiast
 
skawster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 130
Rep: 13 (Unique: 13)
Quote: Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
Are you sure it was actually dried out and not simply disturbed by thermal expansion/contraction cycles?

I rarely advise just spreading a thin layer of TIM unless both contact surfaces are extremely flat and made of materials with similar expansion coefficients. Putting a small dab in the center after placing a thin later is usually wise, to ensure that there are no voids.

GPU dies also need extra care as they are so large and generally not lidded. A little extra TIM, again to displace any air and ensure there are no voids, as well as to account for any pump out that may occur early on, is something I've always advocated.

I'm not yet convinced of the extreme long term viability of Kryonaut, but only lasting a month sounds like an application error.



AS5 works well enough in most scenarios, but has been long since surpassed in every metric (performance, value, longevity, safety, ease of application, ease of clean up, etc) by a whole slew of more modern TIMs.
I just checked a few PCs in my office which I repasted with Kryonaut when I got it two months ago, the paste on all of them has dried out, two have stock intel coolers and one has an Arctic Freezer 33. Not sure what to think of this as the temps did seem fine (although I have nothing to compare them against) but the fact that the paste is dry doesn't seem alright. What's weird though is that I noticed that the remaining paste on the applicator is also dry, I'm not sure if this is possibly a problem of the medium they use for the paste? I've never seen paste dry up on the open in a matter of days granted I've been using mostly NT-H1 for the last 8 years.

Regarding the aplication method I followed it was stated in the "manual" which I got with the tube of Kryonaut, it does seem odd as the paste is far more malleable than Noctua's and their own Hydronaut which I received with the EK waterblock, I've never applied paste by spreading it and I was reluctant to do so as it is very soft and seems even better for the pea method, what's worse is that every application I did was done with the spread method which means I have no idea how it behaves if applied in a different way.

Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
Kryonaut is way over priced and over rated NT-H1 is fine.
Yeah I'll probably stick with NT-H1 for now, I did send Thermal Grizzly and email with these pictures so hopefully they will reply if this is normal or not.
skawster is offline  
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:41 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
skupples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 17,672
Rep: 529 (Unique: 299)
Quote: Originally Posted by NewUser16 View Post
I had similar scenario. It did not really dried out but it did hardened slightly and temp went up 1-2C. I changed to MX4 on my CPU and 3x GPUs and from taking apart 4 months later I still think it's one of the best if not the best thermal compounds
yep, MX4 is my go to... Mostly because it was one of the few companies selling large volume tubes 6+ years ago.

still using the same tube.

gpu's get painted w/ CLU, n everything else gets MX4.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
skupples is offline  
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:58 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
8051's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,718
Rep: 21 (Unique: 15)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
yep, MX4 is my go to... Mostly because it was one of the few companies selling large volume tubes 6+ years ago.

still using the same tube.

gpu's get painted w/ CLU, n everything else gets MX4.
Is CLU liquid metal? Do you ever have to re-paste that? If so, how often?
8051 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off