Rep: 23 (Unique: 17)
Quote: Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post
Just to confirm, here are my results:

9900K 4.7GHz HT.

Smallest FFT FMA3.

15 minute test.

Ambient 24c.

Fans: 120mm NF-F12, 140mm NF-A14.

New Loop - D5 Speed 5 + 360mm (slim) Push + 360mm (slim) Push + 360mm (thick) Push = CPU Highest Temp 78c.

Old Loop - D5 Speed 5 + 360mm (thick) Push/Pull + 420mm (thick) Push = CPU Highest Temp 73c.

Test repeated twice. Same results.

Test repeated once more with D5 set to speed 3. Same result.

Test repeated with fans set to medium, then high. Same result.

Conclusion, flow wasn't the cause of the higher heat. Setting fans from mid to highest RPM had no effect. The only thing I can form from this is that the 2 360mm slims were no match for the thick 420mm RAD.

No air, no blockages. Loop disassembled and checked.

From everything I’ve read, especially based on the Xtreme rigs rad roundup and another site called thermal-‘something’, thin Rads are a bit more restrictive than thicker radiators.

Oddly enough it also said that alphacool rads were less restrictive than black ice but I haven’t seen that so far...

Also I don’t think fan speed will have much effect, I mean if you intentionally run hot water vs cold water, I suppose it could though. Someone correct me if I’m wrong on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i9-9900k OC to 5.0GHZ @ 1.285V Delidded/Direct Die Cooled
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
GTX 1080Ti FE
Lian Li O11 Dynamic, white

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
You’re thinking of thermalbench dot com
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 04:05 PM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 383 (Unique: 263)
Quote: Originally Posted by Pinnacle Fit View Post
From everything I’ve read, especially based on the Xtreme rigs rad roundup and another site called thermal-‘something’, thin Rads are a bit more restrictive than thicker radiators.
You are making a very large generalization that is not always true, and varies from rad to rad.

Oddly enough it also said that alphacool rads were less restrictive than black ice but I haven’t seen that so far...
What are you using to measure the restriction? And which specific rads are you measuring the restriction of. And....again....you are making a broad generalization that will vary from rad to rad within those two lines and is not always true.

Also I don’t think fan speed will have much effect, I mean if you intentionally run hot water vs cold water, I suppose it could though. Someone correct me if I’m wrong on this.
Taken at face value, this is one of the craziest statements I have ever seen posted in this forum. Maybe you should clarify what you are saying, because I'm pretty sure you are not saying "fan speeds on radiators have little effect", but that is what it appears you are saying.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 04:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 17)
Quote: Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post
You are making a very large generalization that is not always true, and varies from rad to rad.

What are you using to measure the restriction? And which specific rads are you measuring the restriction of. And....again....you are making a broad generalization that will vary from rad to rad within those two lines and is not always true.

Taken at face value, this is one of the craziest statements I have ever seen posted in this forum. Maybe you should clarify what you are saying, because I'm pretty sure you are not saying "fan speeds on radiators have little effect", but that is what it appears you are saying.

Agreed on the first two parts. They were broad generalizations and I realized afterwards that was the case.

On the third part- I meant that fan speeds wouldn’t really have an effect on [bold]flow rate [/bold]not heat dissipation (that’s the whole point of mounting fans after all)

i9-9900k OC to 5.0GHZ @ 1.285V Delidded/Direct Die Cooled
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
GTX 1080Ti FE
Lian Li O11 Dynamic, white

post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 04:16 PM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 383 (Unique: 263)
Agreed on the first two parts. They were broad generalizations and I realized afterwards that was the case.

On the third part- I meant that fan speeds wouldn’t really have an effect on [bold]flow rate [/bold]not heat dissipation (that’s the whole point of mounting fans after all)

Ah, that clears it up. Yes, fan speeds would have absolutely no effect on flow rate.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in