Thoughts on water cooling for the 2080ti? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Thoughts on water cooling for the 2080ti?

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Thoughts on water cooling for the 2080ti?

It's a weird one since some fo them already COME with heir own "Watercooler," whole there are also various clear plastic coolers (the name of them escapes me) all over amazon. Which is strange to see, given that I had to send away to China and wait 2 months for my plastic cooler for my Titan V. Are people with 2080tis getting these? it doesn't seem...I mean, given the tI paid almost $4k for the tita, YES, wanted to protect it. But for a card that barely costs over $1k? Don't get mr wrong, still expensive, but isn't better to just take out insurance and root the side rather than buy a $250+ water cooler?

(FYI-THIS BOTHERS ME, THIS IS NOT MY 6TH POSTS HERE, I WAS NEARING 1.3K OVER THE PAST 3 YEARS WHEN I LOST MY EMAIL ADDRESS AND RHUS MY NAME AND PASSWORD AND HAD TO SET UO A NEW ADDY AND PASSWORD).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 526 (Unique: 297)
watercool everything.

n use barbs & worm clamps. (save a thousand $)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 01:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Depends on you. You wont gain extra performance just cooler keep that in mind.

Compression fittings are similar price to barbs now. Don't cheap out for stuff you will use in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:17 PM
Invalid Media

Rep: 10 (Unique: 8)
...if any GPU needs it, RTX 2080 TI are the ones for water-cooling (I got two of them, per sig link).

To qualify that statement, you don't actually 'need - need' w-cooling, but they will respond exceptionally well via the temp / power limit / boost-clock algorithms in the bios / driver. Put even simpler, any electronic item that can draw between 300w and 400w (like the 2080 Ti) needs a lot of sustained cooling. That doesn't mean it will blow up without it, but if your budget / patience allows, I would go for w-cooling the 2080 Ti. Even when benching with Port Royal etc, my two cards stay in the mid 30ies C which no matter what is better for them in the long run than constantly running at 50c +.

Just a note of caution though...give the sheers size of the RTX die and various distributed VRAM on those cards, make sure NOT to over-tighten an aftermarket w-block
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
About the RTX2080TI, I actually kind of regret getting the RTX2080TI as that was what holding me back from getting an caselabs sma8a. I was about to order the sma8a revision in Feb last year and that would have made the cutoff for delivery. Even had caselabs not gone under, I would have gotten the case instead of marginal upgrade in GPU from 1080ti. I am waiting for the high end 7nm Nvidia/Intel GPU's myself.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:12 PM
Slovak_Killer

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Watercool it, why not ? Better temps, bigger OC potential and silent system.

LN2 Beast
(6 items)
CPU
i9 9980XE
Motherboard
Evga X299 Dark
GPU
MSI RTX 2080Ti Lightning Z
RAM
G-skill 3200 c14 Trident Z
Cooling
Kingpin F1 Dark
Cooling
EKWB Loop
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 12:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by Section31 View Post
About the RTX2080TI, I actually kind of regret getting the RTX2080TI as that was what holding me back from getting an caselabs sma8a. I was about to order the sma8a revision in Feb last year and that would have made the cutoff for delivery. Even had caselabs not gone under, I would have gotten the case instead of marginal upgrade in GPU from 1080ti. I am waiting for the high end 7nm Nvidia/Intel GPU's myself.
I was ready to get the 2080Ti but given the lack of stock initially, the fact I had to get a waterblock (all custom loop here) and the ridiculous pricing (especially at launch for AIBs) made me wait....Yet, I have a huge back log of older titles I WANT to play (i.e. playing DOOM 2016) and a 1080Ti that plays happily at 2090/13000 mem.

I was away from gaming for roughly 10 years so the titles I have work fine at my 4K monitor and by the time I am done with them the new cards will be out. I am not gaming much anyway.

X299 - i9 7940X
(24 items)
CPU
i9-7940X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage VI Extreme
GPU
Asus Strix GTX 1080Ti OC
RAM
64GB Trident Z RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung M.2 960Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
WD Gold 10TB
Hard Drive
WD Red 4TB
Hard Drive
WD RED 4TB
Hard Drive
WD Green 2TB
Hard Drive
WD Green 2TB
Hard Drive
WD Green 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1500i
Cooling
MO-RA 420 Pro
Cooling
EK RVIE Monoblock
Cooling
Phanteks Asus Strix 1080Ti GPU Block
Cooling
EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM
Cooling
Bitspower Fittings
Cooling
Heatkiller 200mm Reservoir
Cooling
9X Corsair ML140 Pro Fans
Case
Coolermaster Cosmos 2
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
BenQ SW320 32" 4K
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 2S
Mouse
Logitech MX Master 2S
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:01 PM
EKWB Forum Rep

Rep: 18 (Unique: 12)
Quote: Originally Posted by Section31 View Post
If you still want one, join the CaseLabs FB group. They've helped people track the cases down.

EKWB Forum Rep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in