Barrow and Bykski Radiators - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Barrow and Bykski Radiators

Reply
Thread Tools
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Unread 05-12-2019, 11:58 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 34
Rep: 0
I have a full BARROW / Aliexpress / Taobao build. Works great, was MUCH cheaper but shipping took months.

Pump DDC clone + acetal top -> 240mm slim white radiator -> e5-2670 on BARROW block -> e5-2670 on BARROW block -> 360mm slim white radiator -> Vega 64 on BARROW block -> GTX 1080 Ti on BARROW block

Much quieter and cooler at full GPU load for machine learning workloads vs stock air cooling. Fans only at 60% = 55C on Vega 64 and 47C on 1080Ti

Fans are 5 EVGA fans + 1 Phanteks 140mm.

Total cost of water cooling setup (blocks, rads, pumps, fans, fittings, tubing, tools) + shipping was about $470, see my original post: https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-w...l#post27655244

Not pictured in system below: 1 more cpu block, another 360mm slim rad, another 240mm slim rad, another pump, tubing + fittings, reservoir for filling (you can see the fill line in the pic)

edit: LEDs for pic, normally OFF. Power usage ~620W
edit^2: updated with link to purchase post and pricing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pc-wc-v64+1080ti.png
Views:	19
Size:	2.70 MB
ID:	269286  


Last edited by encore2097; 05-14-2019 at 01:27 PM.
encore2097 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Unread 05-12-2019, 03:42 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
PachAz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,170
Rep: 62 (Unique: 44)
4 years ago I bought the EK PE 360mm rad, I paid 48 euros or so, now it is like 99. That is over 100% increase in price in 4 years. Alphacool has done the same, a 240mm 45mm cost like 45 euros now it is almost 80 euros i.e. 100% increase.

And the fittings oh boy, you want branded ones well then you need to pay 7 to 10 euros each. With all fittings and adapters for a gpu and cpu build you are looking at almost 100 euros only for fittings which is around 100 dollars. Mean while barrows are almost halve the price and they look stunning.

I will never buy any new WC parts either. I use to flip alot of parts back in the days because I wanted to try different models for aesthetics and performance but it is not worth it anymore. I just got the lastest EK CPU block because the one I have now is too restrictive, almost 80 euros for a regular copper block with plexi. When I got my first EK block a few years ago it was 45 euros. So yeah EK has in fact increased their prices with 50-100% the last few years on some items.

If I would know how much prices would inflate with these "name" brands over the years I would keep my first WC gear for ever. The performance gains are relatively small anyways and some times newer WC parts may even performance worse than their predecessors (e.g. EK supremacy evo performs better than the EK velocity) I have heard.

PachAz is offline  
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Unread 05-12-2019, 04:29 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Section31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 203
Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Better question is why people still buy ekwb. They have reached the prices of watercool and soon aquacomputer in my country. I rather buy them than ekwb at that pricepoint.

I use only watercool products myself and while they only perform slightly better than ekwb (cost the same), the quality is much better. There products feel much more heavier on the hands. Aesthetic wise they look the best to me. Tried barrows fittings for my friends build but i use bitspower for my own.

Last edited by Section31; 05-12-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Section31 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Unread 05-12-2019, 07:15 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Zammin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 862
Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by Section31 View Post
Better question is why people still buy ekwb. They have reached the prices of watercool and soon aquacomputer in my country. I rather buy them than ekwb at that pricepoint.

I use only watercool products myself and while they only perform slightly better than ekwb (cost the same), the quality is much better. There products feel much more heavier on the hands. Aesthetic wise they look the best to me. Tried barrows fittings for my friends build but i use bitspower for my own.
I can answer your question for where I live (Australia). The reason EK is so commonly used here is because places in Aus only stock 3 brands in general. EK, Thermaltake and occasionally XSPC. Importing stuff from Watercool or buying from PPCs in the states is a killer due to shipping and import costs. We don't have quality brands like Hardware Labs sold here anymore unfortunately. We have one place that sells a very small range of Watercool products but it's very limited and they refuse to bring in anything new.

With that said, I agree 100% with most of the comments made here about EK's quality and so on. It's not fantastic. I did a build with all Barrow fittings and tubing recently which I ordered from Ali Express and it cost half as much as EK, and it is so much better all the way down to the packaging. In my main build I'm using some Watercool parts and a Hardware Labs radiator but god damn they were expensive to bring in, It's not something everyone can afford to do here which is why a lot of other people in Aus use a lot of EK and Thermalfake stuff, because it's locally stocked and much cheaper then the premium brands like Watercool and HW Labs. I'm sure if we had a PPC's branch in Aus stocking all this stuff at good prices then people would choose it a lot more often, but sadly we don't have any watercooling enthusiast places like that.

Primary System Specs: Lian Li PC-O11 DX - ROG Maximus XI Formula - Watercooled Intel 9900k (4.9Ghz) - Watercooled RTX 2080 Ti FE - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz CL16 32GB - Corsair RM1000i PSU - Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVME SSD

Secondary System Specs: Fractal Design Define S2 - ROG Maximus X Code - Watercooled Intel 8700k (5Ghz) - Watercooled Strix GTX 1080Ti OC - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz CL16 16GB - Seasonic X-1050W PSU - Intel 600P NVME SSD
Zammin is offline  
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Unread 05-12-2019, 07:32 PM
Null
 
geoxile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,297
Rep: 159 (Unique: 129)
Quote: Originally Posted by encore2097 View Post
I have a full BARROW / Aliexpress / Taobao build. Works great, was MUCH cheaper but shipping took months.

Pump DDC clone + acetal top -> 240mm slim white radiator -> e5-2670 on BARROW block -> e5-2670 on BARROW block -> 360mm slim white radiator -> Vega 64 on BARROW block -> GTX 1080 Ti on BARROW block

Much quieter and cooler at full GPU load for machine learning workloads vs stock air cooling. Fans only at 60% = 55C on Vega 64 and 47C on 1080Ti

Fans are 5 EVGA fans + 1 Phanteks 140mm.

Total cost of water cooling setup (blocks, rads, pumps, fans, fittings, tubing, tools) + shipping was about $300-$325.
Not pictured: 1 more cpu block, another 360mm slim rad, another 240mm slim rad, another pump, tubing + fittings, reservoir for filling (you can see the fill line in the pic)

edit: LEDs for pic, normally OFF. Power usage ~620W
How's that DDC clone treating you?

geoxile is offline  
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Unread 05-12-2019, 07:44 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 40
Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by Zammin View Post
I can answer your question for where I live (Australia). The reason EK is so commonly used here is because places in Aus only stock 3 brands in general. EK, Thermaltake and occasionally XSPC. Importing stuff from Watercool or buying from PPCs in the states is a killer due to shipping and import costs. We don't have quality brands like Hardware Labs sold here anymore unfortunately. We have one place that sells a very small range of Watercool products but it's very limited and they refuse to bring in anything new.



With that said, I agree 100% with most of the comments made here about EK's quality and so on. It's not fantastic. I did a build with all Barrow fittings and tubing recently which I ordered from Ali Express and it cost half as much as EK, and it is so much better all the way down to the packaging. In my main build I'm using some Watercool parts and a Hardware Labs radiator but god damn they were expensive to bring in, It's not something everyone can afford to do here which is why a lot of other people in Aus use a lot of EK and Thermalfake stuff, because it's locally stocked and much cheaper then the premium brands like Watercool and HW Labs. I'm sure if we had a PPC's branch in Aus stocking all this stuff at good prices then people would choose it a lot more often, but sadly we don't have any watercooling enthusiast places like that.
Now barrow is renamed as Barrowch, fittings quality has improved. Another advantage of aliexpress is seller undervalue their product in invoice (after requesting), which results in lesser customs and taxes, which none of the USA company agrees to do. Also when buying EKWB stuffs from their home website (Slovenia), product price includes 21-22% euro service tax. Few product price is shown without tax, but tax is added in cart. EKWB is much more costly because (EKWB price + 21-22% service tax + shipping cost + ~45% import and custom duty).
TopM5 is offline  
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Unread 05-12-2019, 08:00 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Zammin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 862
Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by TopM5 View Post
Now barrow is renamed as Barrowch, fittings quality has improved. Another advantage of aliexpress is seller undervalue their product in invoice (after requesting), which results in lesser customs and taxes, which none of the USA company agrees to do. Also when buying EKWB stuffs from their home website (Slovenia), product price includes 21-22% euro service tax. Few product price is shown without tax, but tax is added in cart. EKWB is much more costly because (EKWB price + 21-22% service tax + shipping cost + ~45% import and custom duty).
Yeah I haven't bought anything from the EKWB website since Australia introduced GST on imported goods under $1000. It's almost always a lot cheaper to buy their products from any of the Australian online PC stores that stock their stuff (there's at least 3 that stock pretty much the full range). But I don't buy much EK stuff anymore, especially now that I know about Barrow fittings.

Primary System Specs: Lian Li PC-O11 DX - ROG Maximus XI Formula - Watercooled Intel 9900k (4.9Ghz) - Watercooled RTX 2080 Ti FE - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz CL16 32GB - Corsair RM1000i PSU - Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVME SSD

Secondary System Specs: Fractal Design Define S2 - ROG Maximus X Code - Watercooled Intel 8700k (5Ghz) - Watercooled Strix GTX 1080Ti OC - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz CL16 16GB - Seasonic X-1050W PSU - Intel 600P NVME SSD
Zammin is offline  
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Unread 05-13-2019, 07:25 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
PachAz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,170
Rep: 62 (Unique: 44)
The items from barrowch seem to be solid, I see no problems using them. I am not surprised if several items from barrow are made in the same factories as e.g. EK and alphacool etc. Alphacool definatley is a 100% chinese manufacturer but they charge similar to aquacomputer and watercool haha. Arn't all radiators made in chinese factories as well as all DDC and D5 pumps and fittings? I know alphacool and phobya radiators are the same so they are made in the same chinese factory. Oh but the quality controll is better bla bla, well no, not always. Out of all brands I have used alphacool seem the cheapest, the older rads were fine but the "new" are poorly threaded and use soft hex screws. I have the eisbecher D5 and they didn't include any decoupling for the pump and the screws are super soft material, at least EK had included decoupler to dampen the vibrations. The eisblock also seem to be pretty plain, it use a copper base but the whole top is plastic and not the acetal either, it seems like hard plastic and the back plate is also made out of plastic. Sorry but I don't see this block being a 75 dollar one, specially since it is extremely restrictive, any debris or plasticizer will stop the flow imediatly it has happened to me twice. I don't know what they were thinking when they made that block so restrictive. With my raystorm, I had it in my loop for several years with the same water and despite debris and other gunk in the block it never stopped the flow due to the less restrictive design. Hands down, the xspc raystorm is the best cpu block I have ever had despite being a lower end brand.


Last edited by PachAz; 05-13-2019 at 07:39 AM.
PachAz is offline  
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Unread 05-13-2019, 07:53 AM
Mr.4way SLI
 
Moparman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Farmington MO
Posts: 5,361
Rep: 188 (Unique: 170)
Quote: Originally Posted by ChiTownButcher View Post
Until there are no quality performance manufacturers left and we are stuck with Chinese knockoff junk as our only option.

Spend a few $ more and consider it a donation to the future of the hobby.

That is such a B.s comment. Barrow is a big OEM company that builds for other brands. Also if you have such an issue with China made goods you might want to toss out just about everything you own as it will contain something from China.

Last edited by Moparman; 05-13-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Moparman is offline  
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Unread 05-13-2019, 07:56 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
PachAz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 2,170
Rep: 62 (Unique: 44)
I didn't know Barrow was an OEM company.

PachAz is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off