Thoughts on design of this Barrow RVII GPU block? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Thoughts on design of this Barrow RVII GPU block?

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Thoughts on design of this Barrow RVII GPU block?

Barrow now have a Radeon VII block available.

What do people think of its design relative to the Bykski, EK and AlphaCool? I know that the AlphaCool in its current iteration is not recommended, and that the Bykski appears to be getting better temperatures than the EK. How do you think this compares? To my uneducated eye it looks more similar to the Bykski design than the EK one.

http://www.barrowch.com/index.php/article/1220.html

Bykski's:

http://www.bykski.com/page158?_l=en&product_id=4215

EK's:

https://www.ekwb.com/news/ek-vector-...raphics-cards/

Phanteks have said they're going to do one, and there should be news in the next couple of weeks. WaterCool are supposedly working on one, but no news or ETA. Having said they'd do one, AquaComputer now think that they may not due to a backlog of work.

Not seen or heard anything from XSPC, Coolance or Bitspower.

If AquaComputer aren't going to do one, then I'd like a WaterCool Heatkiller .. but I can see the result with them being the same as AquaComputer. So failing that, given how the design looks, do people think this has the potential to be better than the Bykski? I've heard people say that the Barrow stuff is usually slightly higher quality than Bykski, but no idea about likely performance of this design.

Last edited by pmc25; 05-15-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 12)
There is one more coming out soon https://www.alphacool.com/shop/new-p...with-backplate From the design they all look like they should be fine and run about the same temps.If heatkiller is making one i would try to wait it out,If not then pick which ever one looks better to you.I will say the install instructions from barrow and bykski can be lacking so you have to guess a little bit/use eks for the same gpu lol
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
There is one more coming out soon https://www.alphacool.com/shop/new-p...with-backplate From the design they all look like they should be fine and run about the same temps.If heatkiller is making one i would try to wait it out,If not then pick which ever one looks better to you.I will say the install instructions from barrow and bykski can be lacking so you have to guess a little bit/use eks for the same gpu lol
Presumably that's a revised version of the AlphaCool that already came out and was both defective and had terrible performance. I wouldn't touch AlphaCool even if they do fix it, though - for reasons well documented on this forum.

The Bykski seems to be generally getting ~5C better temperatures on the core and ~10C better temperatures at the junction than the EK.

Barrow, nobody has posted any feedback yet.

Bitspower and Phanteks should be launching blocks either at or before Computex ... but Bitspower's blocks seem to offer very poor performance, even if they are beautifully made (judging by reviews of other blocks) .... Phanteks their GPU blocks have had fairly poor performance so far, but maybe this will mark a change.

WaterCool said initial ETA around end of March ... no new ETA, and being cagey about whether one will come now. They have a huge order backlog.

AquaComputer said they'd like to do one, but have a huge work backlog, and imply they may not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Will probably get a BARROW block for a Radeon VII or Navi.

Where are the Bykski Radeon VII reviews? I've only found anecdotal evidence on forums and reddit.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by encore2097 View Post
Will probably get a BARROW block for a Radeon VII or Navi.

Where are the Bykski Radeon VII reviews? I've only found anecdotal evidence on forums and reddit.
All forum based so far.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:27 PM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 381 (Unique: 262)
Quote: Originally Posted by pmc25 View Post
Presumably that's a revised version of the AlphaCool that already came out and was both defective and had terrible performance. I wouldn't touch AlphaCool even if they do fix it, though - for reasons well documented on this forum.
I don't know if I would even buy a G1/4 o-ring from Alphacool at this point.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Potentially relevant to possible future Radeon VII block design. This appears to be getting better results than anything else, and modified CPU blocks generally seem to be getting the best results.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/27975726-post1309.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in