Wich D5 to choose - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Wich D5 to choose

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Wich D5 to choose

Hello, i decided already all my components for my Custom Waterloop, but i have several doubts with the pump, before i was so decided to pick one of the newest D5 from EK, but i read in the forum and seems like there is not good opinions about them since EK changed some stuffs on it from the original D5, then again i had to break my head thinking a searching for a new option.

Since im gonna buy all my fittings from FormulaMod Store in Aliexpress i was thinking about picking this one:

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32868...f8b7349eqfTBf4

I know is cheap and it wont give the same performance than a good D5, but i didnt read any bad stuffs about them either, so can be a "temporal solution" since i cannot find a pump from the recomended ones...

Here in my country i cannot find any D5 pump aside from EK or XSPC one, the EK is suppose to be this one:

https://imagenes.coolmod.com/ek-ek-d...-bomba-002.jpg

And the XSPC they sell the same model in Aliexpress too wich is this one:

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/33014...f8b7349eqfTBf4

So, can i have some recomendation on Pump Models? I gonna buy some stuffs in Highflow so would be nice if one of the D5 from theere is good and i can buy it, so would be less shipping cost, problem is that there, most of Swiftech wich seems to be good ones are all out of stock.

Thanks in Advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 143 (Unique: 101)
I'm not sure what some people are reading about D5 pumps lately, but I can tell you having 4 EKWB PWM and 2 Alphacool VPP655 D5 PWM pumps, that none of them have "issues". The EK & XSPC D5 pumps you listed are Vario version with constant speed setting which is what some want. They should be fine. I would avoid the AliExpress pump from FormulaStore, as its most likely like the Alphacool VPP755 which is notorious for failing.

CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390
GPU
EVGA RTX2080 Gaming XC Ultra
RAM
G.Skill Trident 3200
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 960
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 950
Power Supply
Corsair AX-1200
Case
CaseLabs M8
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
i7 9700k
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
GPU
Nvidia GTX1080Ti
RAM
G.Skill SNIPER 12GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
RAM
G.Skill RGB DDR4-3200
Hard Drive
Kingston HyperX SSD
Optical Drive
LG WH10LS30 BD burner
Optical Drive
TSH663B DVD burner
Power Supply
Seasonic SSR-750PD Flagship Prime Series 750W Platinum
Cooling
EK-Supremacy EVO - Nickel
Cooling
XSPC RX360 radiator
Cooling
EK WB D-BAYD5 PWM reservoir
Case
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Acer GD235HZbid
Keyboard
Ducky Mechanical
CPU
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5
GPU
Nvidia GTX 1070 FE
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series PC4 24000
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 850
Power Supply
Rosewill Quark Series 750W Full Modular Gaming Power Supply with LED Indicator
Cooling
EK-FB GA Z270/Z370 GAMING Monoblock - Nickel
Case
Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:14 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 404 (Unique: 271)
Quote: Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
I'm not sure what some people are reading about D5 pumps lately, but I can tell you having 4 EKWB PWM and 2 Alphacool VPP655 D5 PWM pumps, that none of them have "issues". The EK & XSPC D5 pumps you listed are Vario version with constant speed setting which is what some want. They should be fine. I would avoid the AliExpress pump from FormulaStore, as its most likely like the Alphacool VPP755 which is notorious for failing.
One poster here has been on a binge calling every D5 fake and changed from the Xylem design. Obviously, that is not the case. PWM circuits will vary from brand to brand, but the pump itself is the same.

@Cuenda - if you are getting a vario, grab the XSPC or Alphacool VPP655 from hiflow.nl, both are in stock. I would lean to the XSPC, because if you do happen to have an unlikely issue down the road, Alphacool has abysmal customer support.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
One poster here has been on a binge calling every D5 fake and changed from the Xylem design. Obviously, that is not the case. PWM circuits will vary from brand to brand, but the pump itself is the same.

@Cuenda - if you are getting a vario, grab the XSPC or Alphacool VPP655 from hiflow.nl, both are in stock. I would lean to the XSPC, because if you do happen to have an unlikely issue down the road, Alphacool has abysmal customer support.
And wich one from XSPC? Coz the ones in stock have the reservoir combo and i want to put another Top.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:56 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Quote: Originally Posted by Cuenda View Post
And wich one from XSPC? Coz the ones in stock have the reservoir combo and i want to put another Top.
Sorry, I could swear I saw an XSPC vario in stock there when I looked yesterday. Shows out of stock today.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Cuenda where you from?

If USA i ear good things about old Thermaltake D5.

I did buy here in Europe a D5 Watercool Vario and so far very happy with it at just 2 speed.

You can read a little here about pumps:

https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-w...nal-laing.html
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:06 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Quote: Originally Posted by Mordorr View Post

You can read a little here about pumps:

https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-w...nal-laing.html
That thread is an abomination of supposition and misinformation.

But, knowing where @Cuenda is would certainly help in pointing out products that are available.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

lolol....at least i did enjoy your posts...

My D5 so far, so good
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 100 (Unique: 64)
Hi there

I bought over on Aliexpress few times Lowara D5 Vario pump which costed me around £50 last time, but now it cost £56

I'm using on my loop Barrow DDC and Bykski pumps and no issues

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 86 (Unique: 69)
There is no reason not to buy any of the D5 pumps that are easy to get where you are.

If the pumps are the Vario versions there is no difference at all between them.

If they are PWM versions the only changes made are superficial external PWM mods that Improve the compatibility of the pumps with modern PWM control systems. The first PWM versions of the D5 used a system that produced non standard behaviour of the pump when run without a control signal. Rather than running at full speed like all other PWM fans and devices they would run at the mid range speed of about 3600RPM. They also had some issues working properly with, and being controlled by some PWM fan/pump controllers.

The more recent versions are better pumps for use with PWM fan controllers or modern motherboard fan headers.

I have read some of the comments and threads about modern D5 PWM pumps and just about all of it is incorrect or misguided.
I have been modifying and playing with D5 pumps since before there were PWM and USB controlled versions available.

Last edited by Ashcroft; 06-10-2019 at 12:42 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in