Water Cooling Loop Questions - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Water Cooling Loop Questions

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Water Cooling Loop Questions

I am looking to build my first custom loop. That current plan is as follows.

Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D SE RGB
Fans: 3 extra Corsair LL120 RGB
Radiator: EK SE 360 and EK SE 240
Pump: EK D5 combo pump
Water blocks: EK RGB blocks

The parts I am cooling are:
i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz
GTX 1080 @ stock

Wanting to have this all Corsair iCue controlled. EK RGB parts will be connected to the Corsair environment with an RGB DAC. Will make custom LED rings to put on the hard tubes next to the fittings for glowing tubes.

The question is will 6 fans, 3 on the big rad and 2 on the small rad with on in the back as exauhst be enough to cool the system at a 4.5ghz overclock? Do I need the extra rear fan (not on a radiator)? Is the two picked out rads adiquite?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 12)
Look at Hardware Labs radiators instead. Look at making them intake rather then exhaust. Also look at Heatkiller blocks.
I'd suggest adding a flow and water temp sensor. Go for Mayhem's tubing and fluids

My Baby
(24 items)
CPU
Delidded I9 9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Formula
GPU
EVGA FTW3 Hydro Copper GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3600 F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB in Raid 0
Hard Drive
2x Intel 660P 2TB in Raid 0
Hard Drive
Asus Hyper M.2 Card
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
Watercool HEATKILLER IV PRO
Cooling
2x Swiftech MCP35X2 with MCP35X2 Heat Sink
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTR
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS
Cooling
Aquacomputer aqualis XT 450 ml with nano coating
Cooling
9x Noctua NF-S12A PWM
Cooling
2x Noctua NA-A15 PWM
Cooling
24x EK Vadar F4120ER
Case
Case Labs Magnum M8 with Pedestal
Monitor
Asus PG28Q
Keyboard
Das Keyboard 5Q
Mouse
Swiftpoint Z
Audio
Mr. Speakers Aeon Closed
Audio
Geek Pulse Inifnity DAC/AMP
Audio
Cavalii Audio Liquid Carbon HPA
Other
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Shawnb99 View Post
Look at Hardware Labs radiators instead. Look at making them intake rather then exhaust. Also look at Heatkiller blocks.
I'd suggest adding a flow and water temp sensor. Go for Mayhem's tubing and fluids
Will a 240 and 360mm GTS rad keep everything cool with push only Corsair ll120s with my planned overclock?

Does heatkiller make universal GPU blocks? The EK Supremacy Evo can go from Intel to AMD with a bracket swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 5)
I agree with everything Shawn said.

Also note that LL120's are designed to look pretty... They are not meant to be radiator fans. That said, with that much radiator space, you will be fine. Hardware labs GTS series should play nice with those fans.

Any D5 combo is going to be perfect for this setup. The EK units are good to go.

Yes, there are universal Heatkiller GPU blocks. They also make GTX 1080 full cover blocks. IDK if the EK Velocity CPU blocks come with both sets of mounting hardware, but my Supremacy Evo's both came with the AMD and Intel mounting stuff. The Heatkiller blocks, you can swap the hardware, but you have to buy it separately.

If you are going to be ordering stuff soon, http://www.performance-pcs.com/ has a few fathers day promo codes and they stock all the brands being discussed. They are the best places to get liquid cooling gear if you are in the US.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for the sale heads up. As for the fans yeah I heard the ll120s aren't that powerful but wanted to see if I could make it work. Think I'll have respectable temps (sustained at 75C or less) at 4.5 ghz under load?
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Also in addition to my previous question what prep work should be done aside from assembly itself and how good is distilled water mixed with Primochill Utopia (no additional additives).
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:18 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 383 (Unique: 263)
Quote: Originally Posted by Shawnb99 View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Fluxmaven View Post
I agree with everything Shawn said.

Any D5 combo is going to be perfect for this setup. The EK units are good to go.
And I will also agree with everything @Shawnb99 said. But I will totally disagree with @Fluxmaven on the EK pump/res combo. Having had Heatkiller, Monsoon MMRS, XSPC Photon and several others, the EK doesn't come close in quality and construction. Also, if you are looking at PWM D5s, EK's have a lengthy history of issues.

Quote: Originally Posted by Gamer 217 View Post
Thanks for the sale heads up. As for the fans yeah I heard the ll120s aren't that powerful but wanted to see if I could make it work. Think I'll have respectable temps (sustained at 75C or less) at 4.5 ghz under load?
If you are spending all of this money on a loop, why would you possible skimp on fans? I really question relying on the Corsair ecosystem for control, and would certainly never recommend a Corsair case.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Current motherboard lacks a rgb header so my only options seem to be using a hardware controller (i.e. buttons) or a USB based software controller like iCue. If I can't get Corsair fans to play well with a two hardware labs gts rads then is there any way to get PhanTeks digital halos to work?
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 12)
Since you want a new case I suggest you take a look at some of the build logs to get an idea of what you want and are working with. Find what cases you like and see what people have done with them specially when it comes to custom loops.
Then copy what you like and discard the rest. Plan and plan some more then be ready to discard that plan when it doesn't work.

Everyone always suggests a D5 pump but I've always loved the MCP35X2 and even the single models. They are tiny, can be pretty quiet and have a lot of head. You also want a drain valve and a rotary for that, pick one from Bitspower as that's the one part you can't cheap out on since any rotary has the potential to leak.

Mix your distilled water with Biocide and Inhibitor from Mayhem's. I only need 2 drops every 3 months or so for 1.5L. If you're loop is smaller then go with that.

My Baby
(24 items)
CPU
Delidded I9 9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Formula
GPU
EVGA FTW3 Hydro Copper GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3600 F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB in Raid 0
Hard Drive
2x Intel 660P 2TB in Raid 0
Hard Drive
Asus Hyper M.2 Card
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
Watercool HEATKILLER IV PRO
Cooling
2x Swiftech MCP35X2 with MCP35X2 Heat Sink
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTR
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS
Cooling
Aquacomputer aqualis XT 450 ml with nano coating
Cooling
9x Noctua NF-S12A PWM
Cooling
2x Noctua NA-A15 PWM
Cooling
24x EK Vadar F4120ER
Case
Case Labs Magnum M8 with Pedestal
Monitor
Asus PG28Q
Keyboard
Das Keyboard 5Q
Mouse
Swiftpoint Z
Audio
Mr. Speakers Aeon Closed
Audio
Geek Pulse Inifnity DAC/AMP
Audio
Cavalii Audio Liquid Carbon HPA
Other
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:33 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 383 (Unique: 263)
Quote: Originally Posted by Gamer 217 View Post
Current motherboard lacks a rgb header so my only options seem to be using a hardware controller (i.e. buttons) or a USB based software controller like iCue. If I can't get Corsair fans to play well with a two hardware labs gts rads then is there any way to get PhanTeks digital halos to work?
It's not a question of the compatibility with the rads, it's more a question of why are you buying subpar fans in the first place?

Phanteks Halos work perfectly with Phanteks cases....and anyone who has ever owned both Phanteks and Corsair cases will tell you that the Phanteks cases (in the same price class, of course) are far superior....so, you may have an answer right there.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in