Need some advice from owners of a Bykski OLED Temperature Display regarding it's construction materials - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Need some advice from owners of a Bykski OLED Temperature Display regarding it's construction materials

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 4)
Need some advice from owners of a Bykski OLED Temperature Display regarding it's construction materials

Hi everyone

After trying 3 separate Barrowch OLED Temperature displays that were all inaccurate (all were around 3-4C under the coolant temperature when compared to two XSPC sensors and one Bitspower sensor) I decided to give the Bykski one a try. The construction materials are listed as Aluminium and POM, same as the Barrowch units. I suspected it was the same deal in that the face plate was aluminium and the body was POM, and googling it brought up some Reddit threads that seemed to confirm this was the case. However I received it today and the whole outer body, including the threads look and feel like aluminium to me. The body is cold like metal and heavy, and there's a spot on one of the threads where the coating has slightly scratched off and it looks silver underneath.

In light of this I'm not entirely comfortable putting it in my loop until I can confirm that it's safe to do so. I know there are some users on here that have the same unit and I'm hoping they can chime in and let me know if my suspicions are true.

If it is aluminium, I don't know what they were thinking since most of Bykski's lineup of blocks and fittings etc are copper and brass to my knowledge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2632.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	274174  

Primary System Specs: Lian Li PC-O11 DX - ROG Maximus XI Formula - Watercooled Intel 9900k (4.9Ghz) - Watercooled RTX 2080 Ti FE - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz CL16 32GB - Corsair RM1000i PSU - Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVME SSD

Secondary System Specs: Fractal Design Define S2 - ROG Maximus X Code - Watercooled Intel 8700k (5Ghz) - Watercooled Strix GTX 1080Ti OC - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz CL16 16GB - Seasonic X-1050W PSU - Intel 600P NVME SSD

Last edited by Zammin; 06-12-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 02:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 88 (Unique: 76)
If your coolant has anti-corrosion inhibitors then youll be fine.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
If your coolant has anti-corrosion inhibitors then youll be fine.
I'm using AquaComputer Double Protect Ultra but still, with it being a very expensive loop I don't know if I want to risk it if aluminium is going to come into contact with the fluid. There is a black coating over the whole unit but I don't know how durable it is, it doesn't appear to be anodized like the other colored models are.

I checked the bykski website and for the newer revision (V2 temp display) they are now saying it's entirely aluminium and only suitable for aluminium loops, which I find ridiculous that they would do that considering the vast majority of custom loops are copper/brass/nickel. All they had to do was make the main body out of POM and use an aluminium face plate like Barrow did and it would be fine. I might try and return the unit as it's not what I was lead to believe. :/

Primary System Specs: Lian Li PC-O11 DX - ROG Maximus XI Formula - Watercooled Intel 9900k (4.9Ghz) - Watercooled RTX 2080 Ti FE - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz CL16 32GB - Corsair RM1000i PSU - Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVME SSD

Secondary System Specs: Fractal Design Define S2 - ROG Maximus X Code - Watercooled Intel 8700k (5Ghz) - Watercooled Strix GTX 1080Ti OC - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz CL16 16GB - Seasonic X-1050W PSU - Intel 600P NVME SSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

I doubt youll find a copper one.

Mixed metals in coolant systems has been done since the beginning.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 24)
Get Mayhems Biocide+ & Inhibitor+ works magic and works great with all mixed metals including aluminum this way you know that your components are safe and protected even if you not sure what exactly they made of.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I doubt youll find a copper one.

Mixed metals in coolant systems has been done since the beginning.
Yeah I don't expect to find a copper one, as I mentioned when I bought it I expected the body to be made of POM (acetal) like pretty much all other inline temp and flow displays, that way it's safe for any cooling system. Barrow does this and uses aluminium for the face plate only. The place I purchased this Bykski one from said "Aluminium+POM" just like Barrow, but in reality it's all aluminium..

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 06:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Hmmmm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2019-06-16-20-56-15_1560736778908.png
Views:	3
Size:	425.3 KB
ID:	274786  

My thirst needs quenching.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hmmmm
I have seen that one, however it's too big to fit where my temp display is (sits on top of my RAM) and the power plug (which isn't shown in the pictures) is ugly as hell haha. It's a straight DC plug that sticks straight out the top. They made it mostly out of plastic which is good though, no aluminium.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:22 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 389 (Unique: 268)
Quote: Originally Posted by Zammin View Post
Hi everyone

After trying 3 separate Barrowch OLED Temperature displays that were all inaccurate (all were around 3-4C under the coolant temperature when compared to two XSPC sensors and one Bitspower sensor)......
So, then why not just stick with the XSPC or Bitspower? Do they not fit where you want them, or is there another issue with them?

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post
So, then why not just stick with the XSPC or Bitspower? Do they not fit where you want them, or is there another issue with them?
They are G1/4 temperature plugs, not displays. I have an XSPC one that my fans are running off but I wanted an OLED display as well, I currently have a Barrow one in there that matches my Barrow OLED flow meter but it's 3-4C under the real temperature, I've tested two more Barrow units and they aren't accurate either which is why I wanted to try the Bykski version to see if it was accurate enough, but if it's made of all aluminium it's probably not worth the risk.

The only other inline temp display I know of is Thermaltake's one, but it won't fit in the spot on top of my RAM.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2057.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	274826  

Name:	IMG_2071.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	274828  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in