Dawn Experiment: 9 Month Update - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Dawn Experiment: 9 Month Update

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Dawn Experiment: 9 Month Update

I just wanted to drop in an update on my system.

9 Months ago I took the plunge and bought a new Case and took the plunge into full custom water cooling for the very first time because my Amazon price tracking app informed me of an unbelievable price drop in the case I had my eye's on and because the price was so low I couldn't say no and ordered it and followed it with the rest of the parts for a full custom loop shopping for all the parts during black friday, thanksgiving, cyber monday, xmas, and new years sales..

Anyways, I built the system and learned about bending tube and going through the trials and difficulties on my old PC which holds an old Intel 4770K system with the intentions of upgrading to Zen 2 when it would be released mid 2019, well still waiting on that side of the build.. but wanted to show an update on an experiment, I read on a few builds that people swore by using just pure water with bacterial growth killers as the best option for cooling fluid, so I said heck why can't we use antibacterial soap... I mean if you kill all the bacteria in the water, how can anything grow in the system.. so I figured I would be taking this system apart in the very near future.

Anyways, was curious how the system was doing, so i took one of my empty distilled water bottles and drained the system of all its fluids the best i could through the drain valve, took the CPU block apart while i had it off, because i wanted to check thermal paste on the CPU as i had been seeing a few degrees higher than usual temps on the CPU during idle. Saw nothing wrong, applied new thermal paste and filled the system back up with the same fluid i took out, because i wanted to see long term how it held up....

The system is running 100% distilled water with an entire 8oz container of dawn ultra dish soap I bought from the target travel size section for 50cents...

I see absolutely ZERO growth.....

Idle Temp: 21c
Gaming Temps: CPU 41c Max, GPU 27c Max
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1000d.png
Views:	7
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	276406  

Name:	20190625_154923.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	3.34 MB
ID:	276408  

Name:	20190625_154932.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	3.63 MB
ID:	276410  

Name:	block.png
Views:	11
Size:	8.08 MB
ID:	276412  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:30 PM
Black Sun Empire

Rep: 37 (Unique: 30)
...really nice man, specially for the environment when you only use antibacterial Soap and destillated water for cooling.

this one here ?
https://smartlabel.pg.com/0003700097...ml#ingredients
And you've put in all of it?

good night fox

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

Watercoolingbox
https://www.overclock.net/t/1352993/...oolingbox/0_20
V3g4n0
(18 items)
CPU
2700X
Motherboard
Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII
GPU
Sapphire RX Vega56 Pulse
RAM
GSkill F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Hard Drive
Crucial MX 500
Hard Drive
Crucial MX 500
Optical Drive
Pioneer BDR S09 XLT
Power Supply
BeQuiet Straight Power
Cooling
BeQuiet Silent Loop 240mm
Case
BeQuiet DARK BASE PRO 900 Silver rev. 2
Operating System
Win 10 1803
Monitor
AOC Agon AG241QX, 23.8"
Keyboard
Steelseries M750
Mouse
Steelseries Sensei 310
Mousepad
Steelseries DEX
Audio
Steelseries Arctis 5
Audio
Sound Blaster X-Fi titanium HD
Other
Tobii Eyetracer 4c
CPU
Ryzen 5 2400G
Motherboard
Asus TUF X470 PLUS GAMING
RAM
Crucial Ballistix Sport AT DIMM Kit 16GB Single Ranked BLS2K8G4D30CESTK
Hard Drive
Samsung SM843 MZ7TD240HAFV-000DA
Hard Drive
Crucial M4
Power Supply
be quiet! Straight Power 11 550W ATX 2.4 (BN281)
Cooling
Ryzen 7 Wraith RGB
Case
Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Operating System
Win 10 1803 / Server 2016 Standard
Monitor
Samsung SyncMaster XL2370 LED, 23" (LS23EFPKFVEN)
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Wuest3nFuchs; 06-25-2019 at 03:42 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 24)
Nice!!!!

I wasn't so lucky when I have tried that few years ago. I used Down clear with distilled water in one of my test systems and after I think 1-2 months my system got clogged.

I believe you can archive the results you've posted but there is some condition to avoid issues (clogging of any kind).

If you look at any dish soap top portion of a spout , especially if you spill some and leave it for few days without cleaning, it becomes a gooey and thick.

If you run your system everyday you probably would be fine and also depends on your systems size and how you run your pumps, but if you leave your system off for few days and if you have digital flow meter you might know this that your flow rate will slowly decrease and as fanny this might sound that soap should disperse in water but it won't completely, especially in cold water and the viscosity of water will become thicker and you might end up with some issue.

Also, there are some bacteria that eats soap for breakfast, so again, where your system is placed e.g. direct sun or darker place because some micro bacteria actually prefer darkness to grow so its a matter of luck really.

Bottom line... it can work, but there is some "doubts" and you taking a risk of making mess is your loop(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by NewUser16 View Post
Nice!!!!

I wasn't so lucky when I have tried that few years ago. I used Down clear with distilled water in one of my test systems and after I think 1-2 months my system got clogged.

I believe you can archive the results you've posted but there is some condition to avoid issues (clogging of any kind).

If you look at any dish soap top portion of a spout , especially if you spill some and leave it for few days without cleaning, it becomes a gooey and thick.

If you run your system everyday you probably would be fine and also depends on your systems size and how you run your pumps, but if you leave your system off for few days and if you have digital flow meter you might know this that your flow rate will slowly decrease and as fanny this might sound that soap should disperse in water but it won't completely, especially in cold water and the viscosity of water will become thicker and you might end up with some issue.

Also, there are some bacteria that eats soap for breakfast, so again, where your system is placed e.g. direct sun or darker place because some micro bacteria actually prefer darkness to grow so its a matter of luck really.

Bottom line... it can work, but there is some "doubts" and you taking a risk of making mess is your loop(s)

That is interesting.... but i read about 1 other stating they had that issue and multiple people stated it was a leak in the system allowing it to vent to atmosphere, otherwise it should never goe up in a sealed closed loop

I have not experienced any sludging or goeing up personally, my system typically goes to sleep between uses, but the pumps stay on as they are controlled by the corsair commander.

I have a dual pump setup because when i was going through the planning of the build, so many people told me to keep a spare on hand as backup, so I figured instead of keeping a spare on hand I would go directly to a dual pump setup due to how large my case is, was really unsure if the number of devices and tubing would cause difficulty for the pumps, so i installed dual D5 pump setup from EK and run them both @ 30%, which makes them completely silent. When i tested the system running on 1 single pump to know if one of the pumps would die, the water temps would only increase to high 30s to low 40s idling and gaming was still possible pulling the temps up into the 70s on a single D5 running @ 30%.

The system consists of 4 x XSPC RX480's with 24 x Noctua NF-P12 redux-1300 PWM fans on the rads... with intake fans running idle 650rpms and exhaust fans running idle 300rpms. I went this route to induce a positive pressure in the system and have always liked the quality of Noctua fans, which I really am because when they are running full 100% (1300 rpms) I can just barely hear them audibly, which is setup on a ramping effect based on coolant temps.

For tubing, I'm running 16mm setup as I wanted the largest I could to reduce backpressure and promotor better flow if possible

In regards to your question, "https://smartlabel.pg.com/0003700097...ml#ingredients"

Yes that is the one i used im pretty sure, it was 8oz container, blue in color and just said Dawn Ultra travel size on it...

I didn't plan on using an entire bottle, but when I added it I would see bubbles and off-gassing in the system the first few days, so I kept adding it tell I stopped seeing both and at that point, I was already 3/4 of the bottle deep into the system, so I poured the remaining into the system and topped off the distilled water to the top of the res and left the top res plug just slightly loose to prevent any additional pressure building up in the system, then after about 2 weeks I tightened the plug and that's how its been since..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in