Diagnosing H100GTX? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Diagnosing H100GTX?

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
3DFX User

Rep: 242 (Unique: 218)
Diagnosing H100GTX?

Hey all,

I have a 6600K that is at 4.5Ghz on a H100Gtx and before it never went above 50C on this cooler. It is now hitting 100C and throttling and I am not sure what is going on. The issue comes and goes. Some days when I boot it up it never goes above 70C under load then other days it will hit 100C on desktop???

I checked bios and on the MSI bios I don't see how to check if it is in DC not PWM? I have it set to 100% and tried both the CPUFAN and SYSFAN headers and Bios is showing around 800-1100RPM on the Pump? When I boot to Win 10 and load iCue it is showing the pump turning 3100Rpm???? Can iCue see something that bios can't as far as actual speed of pump? If I look at HW monitor reading it is agreeing with Bios...

What is normal pump speed for this AIO? Which number should I believe?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b8TsU4A.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	436.9 KB
ID:	281250  

Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself.
Afterburner
(16 items)
CPU
Intel 5960X Extreme 4.5Ghz
Motherboard
Asus X99 Pro
GPU
SLI Titan Xp
RAM
Kingston HyperX 16GB 2400 DDR4
Hard Drive
3X Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
WD 2TB Black
Optical Drive
DVD/RW Combo
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Cooling
Corsair H110i GT
Case
Lian Li PC-A77FA
Operating System
Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate
Monitor
Dell 3415W 21:9
Keyboard
Das Keyboard Ultimate
Mouse
Logitech G9x
Mouse
Evga Titan Signature Pad
Audio
DT 990 Creative Ti HD
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:47 PM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 62 (Unique: 48)
Hi,
Only diagnosis is take it off and add an air cooler
If temps go down rma the h100gtx it has a dead or dying pump
Usually only good for 30 months warranty 5 years.

Vaper
(4 items)
CPU
i9-9940x With evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
ASUS x299 TUF Mark 2
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Audio
Built in realtek with Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5930k with evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2 for os/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 83 (Unique: 66)
I'm not familiar with modern Corsair aios but if the icue software and the cooler have a USB connection then it probably means that icue has access to pump speed info that the bios does not which would make it the one to trust. It may be that the bios can only control or see fan speed which would be pretty normal as they are normally linked to the mb fan header while the pump isn't.

3000ish rpm sounds more like normal pump speed than 1000ish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by Hawk777th View Post
Hey all,

I have a 6600K that is at 4.5Ghz on a H100Gtx and before it never went above 50C on this cooler. It is now hitting 100C and throttling and I am not sure what is going on. The issue comes and goes. Some days when I boot it up it never goes above 70C under load then other days it will hit 100C on desktop???

I checked bios and on the MSI bios I don't see how to check if it is in DC not PWM? I have it set to 100% and tried both the CPUFAN and SYSFAN headers and Bios is showing around 800-1100RPM on the Pump? When I boot to Win 10 and load iCue it is showing the pump turning 3100Rpm???? Can iCue see something that bios can't as far as actual speed of pump? If I look at HW monitor reading it is agreeing with Bios...

What is normal pump speed for this AIO? Which number should I believe?

If the model is H100i GTX (CW-9060021-WW), the OEM is from Asetek and the pump speed should be around 3000rpm. Some motherboards will read the pulse wrong and show 1500rpm. I had two Asetek units (H55 / H75) and they both read 1500rpm on my Z77 motherboard. I don't know a way to confirm it, but if your model is "i", it should have Corsair Link I suppose, then Corsair Link should read 3000rpm, since it is a proprietary software.

You can trust the BIOS reading or HWMonitor, but double check with a few apps like HWiNFO64 and such.

What I suggest is to uninstall the AIO, buy a cheap air cooler like Frio Silent 12, Hyper 212, and test the AIO outside the case. Get a fan cable extension. Or you can even plug without an extension. Just get the pump near a fan connector like SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN and connect it. You can plug the pump with the computer on. Just avoid touching other parts. Just plug the connector. If you want to disconnect it, be careful to not just pull it and bend the motherboard connector or something. Go easy on it. And see if the pump is at 3000rpm or 1500rpm (depending on the motherboard). But the connector has to be set to full speed in the BIOS. Even if the pump connector has 3 pins. Some motherboards have SYS_FANs on a default 7v (my SYS_FAN3 on my Z77 was at 7v by default), and then the rpm will be lower.

These pumps can only run with the motherboard connector set to full speed (I’ve seen a few posts from Corsair engineers). You can change the speed with Corsair Link, but the connector needs to be giving a full 12v to the pump. Otherwise the voltage might vary or fluctuate and break the pump overtime.

If the pump is at 3000rpm, you can reinstall the AIO and reapply a good and reasonably priced thermal paste like MX4. If the temperature is still high (check with HWMonitor and HWiNFO64 as well), there is something wrong with the unit and you should contact the RMA. It could be a clog in the loop or something.

Also check the mounting brackets. Something might have broken and the unit lost contact with the CPU.

Also see if the fans are working properly.

I saw your post about a new AIO, and the market is a bit messy right now. With the new RGB trend, most AIOS are coming with low RPM fans. I think Thermaltake has a top of the line AIO with 1300rpm 12cm fans and 1.6 of static pressure. This is shameful. AIO fans need good static pressure, hence why a Maelstrom 240 is beating the Corsair 360 in some tests, because the Corsair fans are just low grade case fans. And they are charging premium prices for these junks. Most AIO brands are OEMs from Asetek. Aside Asetek, you have Cooler Master and DeepCool and some others, like CooLIT (that provides some Corsair OEMs as well). And the radiators might be produced in a couple factories in Asia for all these brands. At the end of the day, they will all perform under a 1ºC margin if you use the same thermal paste and the same fans for them all. The problem is, with the RGB trend, it is hard to find a standard 240 AIO with good fans and with a reasonable price. Or even a cheap 240 unit for you to replace the fans for new ones, like the Akasa Piranha (great cost benefit).

Just be sure to have a beefier motherboard if you choose a big Noctua cooler. I had an Assassin II and I did not trust my motherboard. I laid down my case (horizontally). I think was Tom's Hardware that only referred these big air coolers for the HEDT Intel motherboards. The Noctua NH-U14S is a good cooler and not a heavyweight. I used it perfectly with my mid tier Z77. There is also a new 12cm Noctua cooler on the market that performs very well.

__

-- Win10 | i5-9600K | Barrow 360 Push Pull | GA-Z390-UD | GTX 1060 GamingX | Corsair 16GB 3200Mhz | Samsung 970 EVO 250GB | WD Velociraptor 1TB | RM 750W | Carbide 300R --
-- Win7 64bits | FX-6300 | 9900NT | GA-970A-D3P | Sapphire HD 6870 | Trident X 8GB 2400Mhz | GS 128GB | HX650W | Sileo 500 --

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in