EK Velocity CPU Block Mounting Plate - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

EK Velocity CPU Block Mounting Plate

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 24 (Unique: 20)
EK Velocity CPU Block Mounting Plate

While installing the mounting plate for LGA 115X I noticed that it's really tough to screw in the mounting studs. Initially, it turns easy, but then gets tougher and then seems to get stuck so the mounting plate is loose. Am I correct to assume that when the block goes on and the thumb screws are tightened that it will also tighten these mounting studs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 03:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
No, the mounting studs need to be bottomed out through the MB into the back plate on the back of the MB and the back plate should not be loose at all. You also need to make sure the back plate is fitted properly into the holes in the MB.

You do not want to over tighten the top nuts, just until they hit bottom on the threads when screwing them down in a cross pattern. The spring pressure will keep them from coming loose.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by jonkrmr View Post
No, the mounting studs need to be bottomed out through the MB into the back plate on the back of the MB and the back plate should not be loose at all. You also need to make sure the back plate is fitted properly into the holes in the MB.

You do not want to over tighten the top nuts, just until they hit bottom on the threads when screwing them down in a cross pattern. The spring pressure will keep them from coming loose.
That's what I thought, looks like I'll have to use pliers or something to help twist them in more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by xP_0nex View Post
That's what I thought, looks like I'll have to use pliers or something to help twist them in more.
If it's that bad, either you are cross-threaded or you got a bad mounting plate. You may want to RMA it before you take pliers to it.

Good Luck.

Build: msi C8r (Carbon8r)
Core i7-9700K, MSI Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON Mobo, AMD Radeon VII GPU, Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M SE ATX Case.
XSPC RayStorm Pro CPU w/b, Bykski Radeon VII GPU w/b, EKWB 140 Revo D5 Pump & Rez.
Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 LT USB Fan-Controller, Vision Touch and 'High Flow' Sensor.
(2x) Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 280GTS XFLOW radiators in full push/pull with 6x Deepcool RF 140mm & 2x Prolimatech 140mm Slim Fans.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Moose-Tech View Post
If it's that bad, either you are cross-threaded or you got a bad mounting plate. You may want to RMA it before you take pliers to it.

Good Luck.
One of my buddies had a Velocity come in the other day and the studs went into the plate easily. So definitely a plate issue.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 06:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 47 (Unique: 44)
Quote: Originally Posted by xP_0nex View Post
Yeah, I had the same issue with my Velocity block on a 1151 mobo. Nothing was cross threaded but I had to get a pair of pliers to fully tighten the thumbscrews down as the block was still loose.
While it was inconvenient to tighten the thumbscrews down like that it's working just fine.

Perpetual 21:9
(13 items)
CPU
i7 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus VIII Hero
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC @ 2Ghz
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Cooling
HWLabs Nemesis 360, EK fittings, Photon res w/ D5
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Monitor
34UC79G-B, 144Hz, G-Sync
Keyboard
Corsair K65 LUX
Mouse
Glorious Model O
Mousepad
Steelseries Prism XL
Audio
ATH M50x
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 05:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
How did you go?

I have the same block and temps are high as hell compared to others.
Wondering if the screws werent tight/ have isssues.

I cant tighten them anymore. Took it off and retried, the paste was spread so must have made contact.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:11 AM
EKWB Forum Rep

Rep: 18 (Unique: 12)
If it's difficult to screw in, definitely RMA it. Sorry for the issues The mounting plate should have an easy time screwing in the standoffs.

EKWB Forum Rep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in