When are the new Ryzen 3000 cpu water block designs coming out? - Page 7 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

When are the new Ryzen 3000 cpu water block designs coming out?

post #61 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 04:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
This is a bit confusing, though, I don't understand why there's no official information on this. I've searched a few keywords and scoured through the German forums as well, but haven't found anything relevant. I think it would be nice to know if they did their own testing or how it measures up.

There are 2 new products on the website, and the cpu blocks that look pretty much the same have different product codes. Does this mean the fin structure/alignment are the same and just the mounting bracket changed? I'd be interested in knowing whether the cpu blocks are going to have this new mount by default or I'd have to get the old block and the mounting plate+screws separately. Been waiting since zen2 announced their release dates for someone to do an under-200$ redesigned cpu block for amd so anything new is noteworthy at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
BOINC Cruncher

Rep: 32 (Unique: 22)
Quote: Originally Posted by Asunder View Post
This is a bit confusing, though, I don't understand why there's no official information on this. I've searched a few keywords and scoured through the German forums as well, but haven't found anything relevant. I think it would be nice to know if they did their own testing or how it measures up.

There are 2 new products on the website, and the cpu blocks that look pretty much the same have different product codes. Does this mean the fin structure/alignment are the same and just the mounting bracket changed? I'd be interested in knowing whether the cpu blocks are going to have this new mount by default or I'd have to get the old block and the mounting plate+screws separately. Been waiting since zen2 announced their release dates for someone to do an under-200$ redesigned cpu block for amd so anything new is noteworthy at this point.
I got the impression that AQ simply is producing the same block and coldplate design, but just offers the new offset mounting mechanism to shift the coldplate finstack array to cover all the dies in Zen 2 cpus.

I'll be ordering the new mounting brackets so I can use my AQ Cuplex Kryos Silver/PVD block whenever it becomes available. It is a really outstanding block but just doesn't measure up to what the Optimus Foundation block achieves. I would really like to do the comparison between the shifted Kryos block and the Foundation. I think the results would be a lot closer.

Serenity
(16 items)
Numbskull
(17 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3950X
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Hybrid
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Hybrid
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Hybrid
RAM
G. Skill F4-3200D-16GTZ TridentZ DDR4
Hard Drive
Crucial MX100
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO M.2
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Cooling
Optimus Foundation AMD cpu block
Cooling
XSPC RX 360 radiator/Optimus Water Cooling D5 pump/reservoir/6X Noctua NF-A12X25 fans
Case
Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Operating System
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Monitor
HP 27xw
Keyboard
Logitech G613 mechanical keyboard
Keyboard
Logitech G603 mouse
CPU
AMD 2920X Threadripper
Motherboard
Asrock X399 Fatality Pro Gaming
GPU
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Black Gaming
GPU
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW Hydro Copper
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080XC Hydro Copper
RAM
G. Skill F4-3200C14-16GTZ
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung M.2 960EVO
Hard Drive
Crucial MX200
Cooling
Optimus Water Cooling Threadripper 3 block
Cooling
XSPC X4 Photon 170 Pump/Reservoir times two
Cooling
XSPC RX360 Radiator times two
Cooling
Noctua NF-A12x25 fan times six
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Black E-ATX
Operating System
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Monitor
AOC 2367F
▲ hide details ▲
post #63 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 05:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Keith Myers View Post

I'll be ordering the new mounting brackets so I can use my AQ Cuplex Kryos Silver/PVD block whenever it becomes available. It is a really outstanding block but just doesn't measure up to what the Optimus Foundation block achieves. I would really like to do the comparison between the shifted Kryos block and the Foundation. I think the results would be a lot closer.

I'll definitely be looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it! Also you're right, I contacted them and it seems the bracket is the only thing that is different. Now what I would be interested in is whether the VARIO versions have any benefits for Ryzen 3000 users. I'm still kinda' unsure whether it's a gimmick or not, but I'm really digging the PVD coating, it looks really solid!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
BOINC Cruncher

Rep: 32 (Unique: 22)
I just want to comment that I know that Optimus Water Cooling does a heckuva lot of prototype testing trying to come up with a cold plate bow that matches the majority of IHS on the typical cpu. When I pulled the Foundation block off my 3950X yesterday to install a new digital flowmeter, I had a perfect TIM spread that was ephemerally thin.

I just installed my Threadripper 3 block that I have been waiting on for months this weekend also. Absolute great temps and a thing of beauty. Fantastic mounting procedure that is so simple that it makes you wonder why the other manufacturers make mounting so complicated with so many parts.

Optimus stated that part of delay in was going through tons of prototyping to get the perfect coldplate mate to the IHS for the typical TR which they described as nothing but hills and valleys.

Serenity
(16 items)
Numbskull
(17 items)
CPU
Ryzen 3950X
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Hybrid
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Hybrid
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Hybrid
RAM
G. Skill F4-3200D-16GTZ TridentZ DDR4
Hard Drive
Crucial MX100
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO M.2
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Cooling
Optimus Foundation AMD cpu block
Cooling
XSPC RX 360 radiator/Optimus Water Cooling D5 pump/reservoir/6X Noctua NF-A12X25 fans
Case
Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Operating System
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Monitor
HP 27xw
Keyboard
Logitech G613 mechanical keyboard
Keyboard
Logitech G603 mouse
CPU
AMD 2920X Threadripper
Motherboard
Asrock X399 Fatality Pro Gaming
GPU
GPU
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW Hydro Copper
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080XC Hydro Copper
RAM
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung M.2 960EVO
Hard Drive
Crucial MX200
Cooling
Optimus Water Cooling Threadripper 3 block
Cooling
XSPC X4 Photon 170 Pump/Reservoir times two
Cooling
XSPC RX360 Radiator times two
Cooling
Noctua NF-A12x25 fan times six
Case
Thermaltake Core X5 Black E-ATX
Operating System
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Monitor
AOC 2367F
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Keith Myers; 05-19-2020 at 06:55 PM. Reason: wanted to add the TR3 block image
post #65 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 07:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 19 (Unique: 17)
In stark contrast to Optimus's efforts, I'll offer this:

I am using a Bitspower monoblock, the ROG endorsed one that fits the Crosshair 6 Extreme (image below). Upon arrival I inspected the cold plate area. It was visibly bowed, to the naked eye. Horrible, at least 2 mm higher in the center than the perimeter. It's fairly obvious they used the same machine to make it as they use for the Intel cold plates.

I lapped it down flat with it removed from the rest of the monoblock, when the cold plate is placed back on the monoblock, it picks up a tiny bit of bow again because of the jet nozzle configuration. Happy the majority was gone I installed it on a 3900x, which I did not lap, using Conductonaut and temps are phenomenal, mating is very good now. There is a tiny bit of suction between the cold plate and the CPU when no TIM is present. My cpu, was luckily, quite close to flat.

Idle temps are water + 2c.
R20 with stock voltages and boosting is around water + 36c at all three, TDC/EDC/PPT limits.
R20 with 4.3 all-core @ 1.3v is water + 38.
When removing all TDC/EDC/PPT limits via bios and pushing it, temps rise to roughly water + 45c for essentially zero performance gain, hilarious.

While it NOW performs well, better than the EK monoblock on my X470 system (unlapped and gives water +50c on a 2700x), I would not ever recommend Bitspower to anyone unwilling to put in the lapping work themselves, I shudder to think of how horrid the temps would have been without it if I'd simply unboxed and installed. The mid-process picture below is about an hour into it with 400grit!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6187_20180713_5438-1024x768.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	347600  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200505_154613119.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	347602  

Last edited by tcclaviger; 05-19-2020 at 07:31 PM.

Tags
"cpu block" , 3900x , coldplate , design , ryzen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in