Ekwb Vector strix backplate faulty! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Ekwb Vector strix backplate faulty!

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I bought two water blocks and backplate s for my 2080 TI Asus Rog strix overclocking edition cards. I rma one of my cards because I thought it was bad it would not post in the bios. Turns out the backplate was causing it to short out. Both cards run fine without the backplate on. I put plastic washers between the PCB and the backplate on both cards and they run fine. I feel bad because one of the mosfets on the first card exploded in my rig and started smoking. I thought it was something wrong with the card. These are very new, I just hope the issue gets resolved and if anyone else is having the same issue to remove the backplate to test.

Last edited by Seerreus; 07-30-2019 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Miss spell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:23 AM
EKWB Forum Rep

Rep: 18 (Unique: 12)
Sorry to hear about the issues you've had! Do you still have the backplate that appears to be faulty?

EKWB Forum Rep
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 100 (Unique: 64)
Hi there

I think this is same issue which I have with my Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix EK Vector backplate as first with EK Vector RTX 2080Ti Strix Backplate screws tighten up I couldn't boot and GPU hasn't been recognised in Windows, however with one screw(around the core) untighten I could boot and GPU have been recognised etc

No issues other than that with EK Vector backplate, its annoying, tried without the backplate and tightened all screws as usually I do and card boots and is recognised etc, no issues, my Asus RTX 2080Ti Strix running 2160MHz with temperatures whuch are pretty good in 36-42°C as max in normal ambient temperatures, in hotter ambient temperature max I have seen 44°C

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 544 (Unique: 309)
i would be more apt to blame a pin on the back of the card that's too long... likely the power pins in fact. This is why I use thermal pads on the back of my cards in specific places. Power pins, + the normal spots.

either way, good to see EK responding quickly to what is likely to not actually be a defective product issue, at least not their product.

hmm two folks a similar issue, n funny enough i specifically & most recently had to do this when putting EK blocks & plates on my 1080tis...

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yes indeed thermal pads are required between the PCB and the back plate there are six in total including 1 over the GPU die.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Did you see the thread about the possible separation of thermal pads and bad contact I'm the ekwb webpage. They recommending removing the for standoffs around the GPU not sure if that would help your issue or not. Customers were reporting bad contact around the GPU.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by EKJake View Post
Sorry to hear about the issues you've had! Do you still have the backplate that appears to be faulty?
Yes I have both backplates and I've been talking with the R&D department at ekwb. I've had no issues on either card after installing the pvc washer between the PCB and back plate. Going on two months now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in