1 res, 2 pumps, 2 loops? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

1 res, 2 pumps, 2 loops?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Sean W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upland CA
Posts: 2,729
Rep: 118 (Unique: 108)
1 res, 2 pumps, 2 loops?

Hey guys,


I am thinking about doing a build in a massive case, I want to do 2 loops, but I dont quite have enough space to do 2 tube reservoirs like I would like to do, but I do have space for one huge one.

Can I have one res feed 2 pumps separately for two separate loops, one for the graphics cards and one for the cpu then come back to the res? In theory I don't see why it wouldn't work, but perhaps there is something I'm not thinking of.

Kinda like this, excuse the terrible lines, I did this on my laptop in 2 minutes



T-mobile OnePlus 7 Pro
2014 Tesla Model S
2006 Suzuki GSXR-600
Sean W. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 11:56 AM
I miss Case Labs
 
Panther Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Virginia Beach VA
Posts: 1,702
Rep: 62 (Unique: 58)
Looking at the diagram provided, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do that as you have a separate input and output line coming out of the res. Only caveat I might add is that you make the res as high of a capacity as you can reasonably achieve.

Kevdog's Law: 2 // GTX Titan: 0 CaseLabs - BH2, SMA8-A, S8
"Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"
"If the modding you do is covered by the manufactures warranty, you didn't do enough modding."


Panther Al is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Sean W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upland CA
Posts: 2,729
Rep: 118 (Unique: 108)
Quote: Originally Posted by Panther Al View Post
Looking at the diagram provided, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do that as you have a separate input and output line coming out of the res. Only caveat I might add is that you make the res as high of a capacity as you can reasonably achieve.
Ya, I think separate inputs/outputs would be the key to avoiding any drama. I think having 1 out and 2 ins, or 2 outs and 1 in would give the water an opportunity to find a path of least resistance and favor one loop over the other, likely the CPU loop as it has less components.


Looking at your avatar header, you will be happy to know this is all going in a caselabs case!

T-mobile OnePlus 7 Pro
2014 Tesla Model S
2006 Suzuki GSXR-600
Sean W. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:13 PM
Born to ride
 
poliacido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Italy
Posts: 73
Rep: 0
I would set the 2 pumps in series to increase the head pressure because you have a lot of components. Because thermally speaking having one single reservoir, the whole loop will reach the same thermal balance and you will not see the benefit of having 2 separate loops.... anyway you have a lot of rad surface so it is not a problem at all
You could also set the pumps in parallel to increase the flow rate with a Y splitter after the res --> 2 pumps ---> Y splitter in one single tube again

My PC: - Asus Crosshair VII Hero- 2700X - 2x8 Gskill 3200 cl15- ASUS Strix 1080 - AX760 - Asus PG279Q - Corsair C70 Military Green
poliacido is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:23 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
skupples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 18,095
Rep: 535 (Unique: 304)
i believe the correct term would then be split loop, as the shared res would pool water. I'd be curious to see how little it affects temps, compared to one big loop. The only benefit I see atm is if you've got two low powered pumps, or if its easier to route due to case layout/limitations.

I'm really not seeing the point, unless its aesthetic, then if so, go for it, though you'd be better off, safety & parity wise, putting the pumps in series & having one giant loop.

-an STH10 dual pump, single loop ~1 gallon loop runner.

we as humans REALLY like to build in extreme complexity that isn't necessary, or beneficial in anyway. It's something you learn to avoid, one build after another.

example - I used to split my loop, n each radiator to its own header, pressure sensors, etc etc. Now its two pumps to one header, 40 fans to another, a single flow sensor, and two temp (water and ambient) simple as pie, I still love my AQ6XT though.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Last edited by skupples; 08-05-2019 at 12:30 PM.
skupples is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Sean W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upland CA
Posts: 2,729
Rep: 118 (Unique: 108)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
i believe the correct term would then be split loop, as the shared res would pool water. I'd be curious to see how little it affects temps, compared to one big loop. The only benefit I see atm is if you've got two low powered pumps, or if its easier to route due to case layout/limitations.

I'm really not seeing the point, unless its aesthetic, then if so, go for it, though you'd be better off, safety & parity wise, putting the pumps in series & having one giant loop.

-an STH10 dual pump, single loop ~1 gallon loop runner.

we as humans REALLY like to build in extreme complexity that isn't necessary, or beneficial in anyway. It's something you learn to avoid, one build after another.

example - I used to split my loop, n each radiator to its own header, pressure sensors, etc etc. Now its two pumps to one header, 40 fans to another, a single flow sensor, and two temp (water and ambient) simple as pie, I still love my AQ6XT though.
Due to the layout of the case, I think my design would make routing the tubes a lot simpler. This is going in the Caselabs Magnum M8. two 360mm radiators in the front and two 360mm radiators in the top.

Here is the case I custom painted a couple years ago


T-mobile OnePlus 7 Pro
2014 Tesla Model S
2006 Suzuki GSXR-600
Sean W. is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:46 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
skupples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 18,095
Rep: 535 (Unique: 304)
i don't see any issues, it'll still function as one giant loop. Filling & priming may be a bit more difficult due to pump gulping? not sure.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
skupples is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:15 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
F3ERS 2 ASH3S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 4,389
Rep: 132 (Unique: 89)
Quote: Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
Due to the layout of the case, I think my design would make routing the tubes a lot simpler. This is going in the Caselabs Magnum M8. two 360mm radiators in the front and two 360mm radiators in the top.

Here is the case I custom painted a couple years ago

I agree with the notion that one big loop with 2 pumps in tandem will be more beneficial than a split loop, however I understand why you are doing it the way that you are.

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
i don't see any issues, it'll still function as one giant loop. Filling & priming may be a bit more difficult due to pump gulping? not sure.
This would be my concern. it will work, but its a matter of the delta over one single loop that it wont have much effect as once ambient has been set to the res then either side wont see the benefit. It Might help to keep the ambient down with the water if the rads are after the heat source. but it will all heat anyway.. if you can find a way to keep the water entering the res as close to air ambient then you will be at the best cooling

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Asus sabertooth rev 2.0 BIOS 1503
Coolermaster Haf Stacker
FX 8350 @5.1 @1.7v :O
XSPC Raystorm RS240 + Swiftec D5 pump and 360 Rad
2x AMD XFX 280x DD @ 1210/1700
Rosewill Capstone 750w PSU


post-flame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club post-flame-small.gif
F3ERS 2 ASH3S is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:41 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Leonko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 208
Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
i don't see any issues, it'll still function as one giant loop. Filling & priming may be a bit more difficult due to pump gulping? not sure.
there is one BIG issue no one mentioned. And that is when one pump fails, there will be HUGE drop in waterflow. Disaster in terms of temps.




NEVER do that. Serial pumps only or 2 separate loops with 1 pums. And only things which can be in paralel are CPU and GPU.
Leonko is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:50 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
skupples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 18,095
Rep: 535 (Unique: 304)
n you'd be less likely to notice a dead pump in a shared res.

i'm 100% dual dumps, for so long now that I've got PMs from big names telling me its a waste

one pump barely moving water is better than no pump. It gives you the wiggle room to notice... though here in the modern era of OCP, etc it's not really an issue either way, unless the loop is large enough to require dual pumps for proper flow/dissipation.

also - nvm, its pressure its measuring, no clue. removed my pressure sensors long ago.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Last edited by skupples; 08-05-2019 at 01:55 PM.
skupples is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off