Single D5 pump handle this? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Single D5 pump handle this?

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 6)
Single D5 pump handle this?

Hi all,

I was wondering on my next tear down to use 2 pairs of Koolance QD4 on my huge "Aquacomputer AMS 840" external rad. These rads are more restrictive then the average radiator out there they are on par with the "Black Ice GTX" when it comes down to restrictiveness.

https://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/05/1...ator-review/3/

Basically can my D5 + res/top handle this:

Koolance 380i cpu block
Koolance 1080 gpu block
Aquacomputer AMS 840 radiator
2 pairs of Koolance QD4.

Right now my radiator is attached on my case but with support underneath *see pic below* (obviously the case could not carry that much weight without support)

Current setup had around 1.26 GPM setting 3 on D5 (4.8 Liters per minute). Without QD4's.
It was a pain to bleed ie tilting this heavy setup not gonna do this again hence the QD4.
So would adding 2 pairs of QD4 be easy for the D5 or should i add another D5? Or if you have a similar setup with restrictive rads or multiple blocks with a single D5 let me know.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f7fc1db6_DSC_0172.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	878.6 KB
ID:	286822  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 535 (Unique: 304)
yes

may wanna spend the loot on a flow sensor, ~1gpm = golden zone. more? near no benefit, below? massive losses.

i'd share a link from martin's liquid lab, but i r lazy.

i've always been a dual pump advocate though, if you've got the loot for it, go all in on pumps. they'll last a decade. I'm @ 7 years with near 100% up time on MCP35x2. Pretty sure they're passed their rated lifespan in fact.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
yes

may wanna spend the loot on a flow sensor, ~1gpm = golden zone. more? near no benefit, below? massive losses.

i've always been a dual pump advocate though, if you've got the loot for it, go all in on pumps. they'll last a decade. I'm @ 7 years with near 100% up time on MCP35x2.
Thx for the reply,

I do have a Koolance flow meter with digital reading. That was the flow meter who gave me 1.26-GPM with my current setup.
Thing is if add another D5 i have to also buy a dual pump top plus 2 pair of QDC4 this means a total cost of around 274 euro thats around 300 USA dollar. Thats a lot of money for a upgrade.
If my single D5 can handle my current setup PLUS adding on my next tear down 2 pairs of QD4 that would be great then only 90 eur for the QDC4. But if i have to i will get another D5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:46 PM
Invalid Media

Rep: 18 (Unique: 12)
I would mount a second D5 in series with the blocks, QDs etc and especially with 'that rad' (!) you listed, if you in any way can. Apart from everything else, it gives you a little bit of extra insurance.

I am also running 2 pairs of Koolance QD4 in a dual-loop / 5x RX360/60 rad / 4x MPC 655 (like D5) system per link below and while they're less restrictive than other QDs, they still represent a bit of a restriction. That radiator though...
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by J7SC View Post
I would mount a second D5 in series with the blocks, QDs etc and especially with 'that rad' (!) you listed, if you in any way can. Apart from everything else, it gives you a little bit of extra insurance.

I am also running 2 pairs of Koolance QD4 in a dual-loop / 5x RX360/60 rad / 4x MPC 655 (like D5) system per link below and while they're less restrictive than other QDs, they still represent a bit of a restriction. That radiator though...
QD4s are yuge too I have a pair in the drawer, trying to figure out how to get them inside my STH10 so i can remove my tray.

you should be fine, though flow may drop slightly.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 05:04 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 396 (Unique: 270)
yes

i've always been a dual pump advocate though, if you've got the loot for it, go all in on pumps. they'll last a decade. I'm @ 7 years with near 100% up time on MCP35x2. Pretty sure they're passed their rated lifespan in fact.
The massive losses really kick in under ~.5-6 GPM. From there to 1 GPM Isn't a huge difference in most loops.

But agreed, a temp sensor is a must have, and a flow sensor is highly advisable.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 07:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 14)
Quote: Originally Posted by J7SC View Post

5 rads and 4 pumps? I thought I was the only one that crazy

To the OP as long as you don’t connect the QD4 to the pump outlet you should be fine. I have 3 in my system.
Also be aware they are 3/8 ports, where as most WC is 1/4”. You’ll need adapters if you’re using the screw in ones, disregard if not.

My Baby
(24 items)
CPU
Delidded Direct Die I9 9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Apex
GPU
EVGA FTW3 Hydro Copper GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3600 F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Hard Drive
Asus Hyper M.2 card
Hard Drive
2 x Intel 660P 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
Watercool HEATKILLER IV PRO
Cooling
2x Swiftech MCP35X2 with MCP35X2 Heat Sink
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTR
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS
Cooling
Aquacomputer aqualis XT 450 ml with nano coating
Cooling
9x Noctua NF-S12A PWM
Cooling
2x Noctua NA-A15 PWM
Cooling
24x EK Vadar F4120ER
Case
Case Labs Magnum M8 with Pedestal
Monitor
Asus PG28Q
Keyboard
Das Keyboard 5Q
Mouse
Swiftpoint Z
Audio
Mr. Speakers Aeon Closed
Audio
Geek Pulse Inifnity DAC/AMP
Audio
Cavalii Audio Liquid Carbon HPA
Other
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:47 AM
Invalid Media

Rep: 18 (Unique: 12)
QD4s are yuge too I have a pair in the drawer (...).

...yuge and quite heavy, too But compared to the smaller, lighter Swiftech QDs I also have, the QD4s never leak when closed, or loose a drop when open. OP: In fact, I have used a spare open QD4 set to (carefully) cut into loops w / o draining them, depending on exact placement, rad inlet positioning etc.

Quote: Originally Posted by Shawnb99 View Post
5 rads and 4 pumps? I thought I was the only one that crazy(...)

...all the tubes, pumps, fittings, reservoirs and rads for that project came from various earlier builds / it became a mega cleaning-and-recycling project, but the temps for both CPU loop and 2x GPU loop are superb...
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

just avoid the powder coated ones, they do weird stuff that affects the ease of clipping/unclipping. at least, the three SETS i went thru all had the same issue after a few removals. returned em for the base metal QD4s, no issues since.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the feedback!

As Shawnb99 mentioned do not place a QD4 on the outlet of the pump. Well there is a problem and i didn't noticed this until he mentioned it. My loop goes: D5 top/res - cpu - gpu - radiator and back to pump.
So at this stage using QD4 is not a good idea. Unless i place the D5 top/res on the external exhaust (right under the psu) see picture:

Then loop order will be: D5 top/res - cpu - gpu - QD4 - rad - QD4 - pump (this makes it easy to detach the rad from my main loop)
Will this loop setup cause me any problems ie placement of D5 res/top?

Also people say it should run with my new setup i was hoping something like "it should run easy no problem"
So im left with 2 options either use the old setup again and deal with the weight its just a one time effort lol. Or do a test run with my water loop outside the case hook up the QD4's with flow meter and check flow. If to low then either go back to old setup or bring in another D5 + dual top from EK. I have to rethink this over again.

And yes i have the BLACK QD4 but never used them what a waste of money 100 bucks down the drain because even when NOT used at all i could see WHITE oxidation inside the black QD4. So lesson learned when it comes down to QD4 it will be the regular silver ones. The Big @ss radiator cools like a CHAMP very very low temps when playing long sessions of games. The CSQ EK pump top is so good its DEAD silent.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in