Optimal Radiator/Fan layout for The Tower 900? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Optimal Radiator/Fan layout for The Tower 900?

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Optimal Radiator/Fan layout for The Tower 900?

Hey guys, i am getting ready to build a literal monster PC. I'm a little confused on which will be the ideal radiator/fan setup for maximum cooling efficiency.

What will be going under water:

2x RTX Titans
Rampage VI Extreme Omega
9990XE

Watercooling Gear:

Rampage VI Extreme Omega Monoblock (Covers VRM/CPU)
2x GPU Blocks (Full Cover)
2x HWLabs 560 GTX Radiators
2x Thermaltake PR22-D5 Silent Kit Pump/Res combo

I haven't purchased any fans yet. Ideally i would want to go Push/Pull because.. the build is already completely overkill, but unsure if i will have enough room.

Here is a photo of the fan/radiator layout. https://imgur.com/a/giYSO9T

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 02:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 13)
Fans depend on rad thickness and fpi on what rpm fan they need to cool right.How thick are the rads you going to use ?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
Fans depend on rad thickness and fpi on what rpm fan they need to cool right.How thick are the rads you going to use ?
54mm hwlabs gtx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 08:11 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 396 (Unique: 270)
Quote: Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
And fin density (which is 16 fpi on these if they are Nemesis, or 20 fpi if they are not, btw). This can be more important than thickness. You need to take all aspects into account, not just a singular aspect.

@Lukeyboy89 - I'm all about the be quiet! SW3 high speed these days. Head and shoulders above every other 140mm I have tested (Noctuas, multiple Corsairs, eLoops, Vardars, etc) for rad use. Vardars and eLoops perform well, but the Vardars are nasty sounding, and eLoops howl in push/pull or with any restriction whatsoever on the intake side. Good info here - http://thermalbench.com/2016/10/31/b...h-speed-fan/3/

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 10:31 AM
RTX ON FPS OFF

Rep: 29 (Unique: 26)
I've got the tower 900 w/7980xe @ 5ghz and 2080ti ~2070mhz/7960mhz along with 32GB 4000cl17. Two 540mm HWL GTX's w/6 fans each (4 push, 2 pull on top of each rad)and my CPU is ~50c normal load, 65c max load. GPU is 40c normal load, ~50c max load (with CPU pumping heat into the loop).

The fans I use are 8 SW3's and 4 ML 140 Pro rgb I had laying around from my previous build. Pump is a enermax neochanger (very powerful) and each block has a radiator feeding it for maximum thermal heat exchange efficiency.

KRAKEN
(13 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA
RAM
Kingston HyperX Predator RGB
Hard Drive
ADATA XPG SX8200
Power Supply
EVGA SUPERNOVA G2
Cooling
EK Velocity Nickel-Plexi, EK Vector RTX Nickel-Plexi, EK EX360, Koolance 360mm, Enermax Neochanger
Case
Thermaltake A500
Operating System
W10 Premium
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Corsair LUX
Mouse
Logitech G502 Spectrum
Audio
Audiotechnica ATH-900X, SBX G5, MODMIC
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for the responses guys, I was more referring to which fans for intakes, which did exhausts for optimal thermal performance?

I assume having radiators as intakes is generally the way to go, but what about in this case where they will be blowing warm air into the back of eachother?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:30 PM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 396 (Unique: 270)
Quote: Originally Posted by Lukeyboy89 View Post
Thanks for the responses guys, I was more referring to which fans for intakes, which did exhausts for optimal thermal performance?

I assume having radiators as intakes is generally the way to go, but what about in this case where they will be blowing warm air into the back of eachother?
In would still be recommending the SW3.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post
In would still be recommending the SW3.
Sorry, i will try and be more clear.

I'm not asking which fans to use, I'm asking what the optimal orientation would be. As in, both radiators as intakes, both as exhausts.. one of each.. etc.

Due the the position of the radiators if they are both intakes, they will be blowing air onto eachother, but it still may be optimal that way?

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 11:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 16)
I had Tower900 in the past ,what i found to work best :
Both radiator intake (BQ SW3 HS fans @Push ), and i just removed the back panel completely so the heat exited passively there .
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
You want both your radiators on intake. I previously had one rad on intake (front) and one on exhaust (top). Temps were decent at about 17c delta.

I made them both intake and added an EXTRA 120 mm fan to rear (on exhaust with another 140 mm) and saw my loop delta drop about 5c.
-------------------
BEEN THERE DONE THAT - Double check that you can fit the HWL rads in there. They are 153 mm wide. I had to bust out the Dremel.
Also, if you can only put rads on one side, the most efficient setup is usually push.
-------------------
Like Tesla did, open up your back if need be to exhaust. I added an extra fan. However, leave a little restriction though to maintain positive pressure and then pay for GOOD micro filters.
Radiators love ambient air but hate dust. Good micro-filters on intake will save you a lot off cleaning later on.
-------------------
Tool Tip - If you have a set of Electrical Combo Strippers / Crimpers, they usually come with threaded bolt cutters on them (in the center). Check to see if they are metric or standard.
You can also buy them on Amazon. You can also buy multi-packs of various length radiators screws as well. Good to have when fitting out a case.
This can be a REAL useful tool if you need to shave a couple of mm off of a radiator bolt. Just remember to round the bolt off and file the thread back open after cutting.

Build: msi C8r (Carbon8r)
Core i7-9700K, MSI Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON Mobo, AMD Radeon VII GPU, Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M SE ATX Case.
XSPC RayStorm Pro CPU w/b, Bykski Radeon VII GPU w/b, EKWB 140 Revo D5 Pump & Rez.
Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 LT USB Fan-Controller, Vision Touch and 'High Flow' Sensor.
(2x) Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 280GTS XFLOW radiators in full push/pull with 6x Deepcool RF 140mm & 2x Prolimatech 140mm Slim Fans.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in