Warning about Alphacool LT 360 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Warning about Alphacool LT 360

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 5)
Warning about Alphacool LT 360

Hopefully this can serve as a caution to people doing searches as there isn't much available on these products.

I thought I'd struck gold with a non rgb AIO that had a reputation for top performance.

I opened the package and noticed a couple of things right away that gave me concerns about QC.
- The copper on cpu block had marks and gashes in it. I was expecting a smooth finish but didn't think much of it as the surface area is massive compared to the 9900k's IHS
- The backplate which is made out out very cheap plastic was warped and a bit too "bendy." The nuts on the backplate were not very snug into their channel which would have a major issue later. The extrusion for the screws through the backplate also weren't very nicely rounded. You had to really wiggle things around to get the backplate on. 3M sticky tape was used to stop the backplate form moving around

After careful and a cautious approach I was able to get the unit mounted. Then I did the A/B testing with the same suite of products. The good news is that it worked great! My temps were down about 15c.

30mins later the honeymoon ended. Idling on desktop the fans went to 100% while some strange noises started. This sent the temps sky high into a thermal shutdown.

Rebooted into the bios and saw the temps rise again and shut it down after that.

Fun didn't end here. Remember that cheap backplate?

Well it bound 2 of the screws and plastic back end snapped chamber holding the nut. Then I had to think because we're now in "is my mobo going to get damaged from this?" territory.

I had to then use a combination of wirecutters and clamps to remove the backplate in pieces without damaging the motherboard.

Then it had to rebuild my whole PC yet again to make sure nothing is damaged.

For a German company, this reeked of some knock off product. I'd advise those who stumbled on this thread to proceed with caution. Perhaps there's a reason BeQuiet already EOL'd their 360mm offer which was a rebrand of this product.

If someone at Alphacool is reading this, there's no acceptable reason whatsoever that you have such a poor mounting and blackplate design or such a poor finish to the block. The fact that your unit outright died within 30mins is hopefully just rotten luck on my end.

Last edited by robertr1; 08-23-2019 at 02:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
doesn't surprise me. seen a fair few people complain about the unit. I nearly bought one last year and I'm glad I didn't.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 08:26 AM
⤷ αC

Rep: 904 (Unique: 590)
I don't work for Alphacool but you have to keep in mind it is a costed down Eisbaer cooler if yours wasn't a fake. There's plenty of people using it on SFF.

See the surface finish at https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...-lt-240/3.html , https://www.vortez.net/articles_page..._review,4.html , https://www.eteknix.com/alphacool-ei...oler-review/2/, https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/...t_240_review/3

All of these things have a bathtub curve of reliability and your unit could have happened to be an infant mortality. If the surface finish was poor it could have been a defective unit that was returned or something since there's supposed to be a plastic sticker on it to stop it from marring in transit. That's something Optimus watercooling (a new US based watercooling company) learned as their mirror finish got utterly scratched in transit.

You're still getting a full copper radiator that would be around $50-60 separately (25mm thickness is not available for purchase right now but you can buy a TX360 radiator from XSPC), a CPU pump+block that costs around $70 separately (the DC-LT pump itself is around $20ish and a half decent block is around $50 ; the Phobya UC series this is designed off is ~$40), as well as 2x 90° G1/4 fittings at the CPU block and another 2x G1/4 fittings at the radiator in addition to QDC fittings.

The entire unit was supposed to be around $110 (it was 80,90,110 Euros for the 120,240,360mm respectively) to compete with AIOs.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Last edited by AlphaC; 08-23-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 08:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 131 (Unique: 116)
All these companies in the race to be the best, they forget it's a good product which does so.
I just had a crap experience with a high end watercooling manufacturer and i can tell you it's not just AlphaCool.
Everyone's trying to save a buck.

I like to have fun.
https://hwbot.org/user/sockskeepyouwarm/
https://www.trueachievements.com/gamer/II+TH3PRO+II
16 Threads is Good
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Core I9 9900K 4.8Ghz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Elite
GPU
Aorus 2080Ti Xtreme Waterforce WB 11GB
RAM
Trident Z
Hard Drive
Samsung 250 SSD
Power Supply
Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid
Cooling
Watercooling Custom
Case
900D
Operating System
Windows 10 x64
Monitor
28" ACER 4K Monitor
▲ hide details ▲

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 08:58 AM
⤷ αC

No it's a "race to the bottom" because people are buying cheap AIOs or RGB AIOs that are a bit pricier instead of custom water. Haven't you seen the semi-pointless EKWB aluminum kits that are more for appearance than performance? Those were before their Classic RGB kits came out this year.

Swiftech has done pretty well with pricing their Drive x3 kits as far as in the USA. At $140-160ish it's still higher than most non-RGB AIOs but the performance, expandability, and added pump strength is worth it. It's not $100 but they probably didn't want to compromise their quality and when you consider that the CPU block is $50 separate , all MCP pumps are around $70 even if the one in the AIO is a 6W version, and the Hydrae GT radiator is around $50 off their site it makes sense since they still need the reservoir and the cheaper barb fittings as well as the RGB fan + IRIS ECO PCB.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

Last edited by AlphaC; 08-23-2019 at 09:09 AM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 5)
@AlphaC It's quite possible I got a re-used unit or lucked out. However that doesn't mean there's any reason for cheaply built plastic backplates and poor screw assembly that strip threads with ease.

In the UK it's 100gpb and I only bought it because of the lack of rgb.

I suppose they had to cut costs somewhere. If another $10 makes for better quality, then do it. They're well on the other side of the spectrum to the point the product is outright poor due to the cost cutting. I'm just glad my PC is ok after that and glad to be returning this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 11:03 AM
⤷ αC

As I stated above, I don't work for them. If you look at what they're competing against a great majority of the AIOs have plastic backplates as a cost-cutting measure (NZXT Kraken X62 or EVGA CLC240 for example) so I'm sure that someone in their R&D decided they couldn't afford to forgo that measure. (Original Eisbaer 240 was 130 Euro and they managed to cut it to 90 Euro).

Keep in mind copper is roughly 3x the weight of aluminum so the radiator alone costs multiple times the cost to produce and ship (raw material is more expensive, shipping the copper is more expensive , shipping the product within the supply chain is also going to be more pricey due to added weight). Because Asetek pumps are sold in far higher volume , they are much cheaper as well.

Alphacool Eisbaer LT is going RGB as well as of the latest news:
https://www.kitguru.net/components/c...-embraces-rgb/

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 11:17 AM
The last VRM burner

Rep: 23 (Unique: 13)
Just please, if it goes LGBT don't let it grow in price too because of that...

PC for all
(18 items)
CPU
i7 5775c @4.2GHz/3.8GHz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5
GPU
Soon to be 2070 Super FE
RAM
KHX24C11T3K2/16X 11-12-12-32-1T-250
Hard Drive
Corsair MP510
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 860
Power Supply
SeaSonic Focus Plus 750W
Cooling
Raijintek Tisis lapped+ Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Case
LianLi 330X
Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit Pro
Monitor
Benq GL2250 80Hz
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe Red Silent
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 310
Mousepad
Artisan FX Raiden
Audio
Audio in Motion SC808 + MUSES8820 + 2x 2xLME49990
Audio
AKG M220
Other
NZXT Hue+
Other
Mayflash F300 Arcade Stick
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 11:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

I take it you got this from overclockers?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 11:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

remember just because it has RGB doesn't mean you have to turn it on. The motherboard, water block and RAM is all off on mine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in