Few Pump\Tubing questions, should I cancel this pump? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Few Pump\Tubing questions, should I cancel this pump?

post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 5)
Few Pump\Tubing questions, should I cancel this pump?

1. The most important question I would like answered. What do you think of this pump? I ordered it a second ago, is the type of pump just weak, no pressure? I thought you take the max head with the GPM to see how much PSI the pump could achieve. But it says it's non self priming, so what the heck? I did a lot of research about 4 months ago and lost my notes about pumps\tubing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. So the barbs on my water block take 1/4'' ID tubing. Is that normal? Should I get 3/8 barbs and ID tubing instead? Does it even matter? If I remember correctly the answer is no it doesn't matter. I know tubing at some point makes no difference in size because the holes on a cpu water block are the limiting factor.

3. The push pump I have only gets to maybe .5 gpm, takes over 4 minutes to fill 2 gallons running through my waterblock. My cpu water block is a foot lower then the pump. The pump by itself without any tubing dumps water out like a champ. I'll test it but I wouldn't doubt 2-3 GPM. With this PSI calculator it doesn't seem to make sense. Images below.

Current Pump

Current Waterblock\Barb

4. Mixing metals is bad but, when you use say alum\copper\nickel what about brass\copper or steel\copper? steel\copper\brass?

5. Why would 3/8 ID affect PSI and not 1/2?

Tubing: 0.5 PSI per 10 feet for 3/8" ID, negligible for 1/2" ID.

6. The ID of a barb on a waterblock is 1/4'', is my 1/4 id tubing killing my psi? Would adding this pump as a pull pump help my PSI?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calc.PNG
Views:	17
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	292948  

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	16
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	292950  

Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 Blower, Ryzen 2600 4.0 ghz, AIO Cool Mast Seidon 120mm, 3200 ddr3 cl16, B450m Asrock Pro 4 Mobo, 700 Watt PSU.

Last edited by treetops422; 09-02-2019 at 12:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 12:54 AM
Not New to Overclock.net

Rep: 893 (Unique: 611)
Hey mate, are you using these as an experiment or are you going to use those in your daily rig? if you are trying to go as cheap as possible, don't go that route, there are easier way to do it.

first thing, never, like never ever cheap out on the pump, if it fails you are pretty much in big trouble. You can buy used, or use chinese vendors like barrow or bykski, they have a lowara pump which is made by the same company "Xylem" that makes Laing pumps.

For your questions regarding copper and steel, yes there will be galvanic corrosion. pretty much you can google the galvanic corrosion between two metals and you will get the full explanation of why those two specific corrode each other or which metal is donating to the other.

There is a difference between head pressure and flow rate. the better head pressure the more your fluid will be able to push through your restrictive components, while the more flow rate will move more fluids in a nonrestrictive environment.

Diameter doesn't affect pressure, given the flow rate is the same, Q= VA so the that will affect the speed of your water not its ability to move further.

Hope that made any sense to you. have a look at formula mod, they have got some decent products.

Oh yeah, I'm Back.
Hot Flame (WIP)
(8 items)
CPU
AMD R7 3700X
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi
GPU
AMD 5700 XT
Hard Drive
Crucial P1
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus G
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer XR342CKP
▲ hide details ▲

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Ramzinho View Post
Hey mate, are you using these as an experiment or are you going to use those in your daily rig? if you are trying to go as cheap as possible, don't go that route, there are easier way to do it.

first thing, never, like never ever cheap out on the pump, if it fails you are pretty much in big trouble. You can buy used, or use chinese vendors like barrow or bykski, they have a lowara pump which is made by the same company "Xylem" that makes Laing pumps.

For your questions regarding copper and steel, yes there will be galvanic corrosion. pretty much you can google the galvanic corrosion between two metals and you will get the full explanation of why those two specific corrode each other or which metal is donating to the other.

There is a difference between head pressure and flow rate. the better head pressure the more your fluid will be able to push through your restrictive components, while the more flow rate will move more fluids in a nonrestrictive environment.

Diameter doesn't affect pressure, given the flow rate is the same, Q= VA so the that will affect the speed of your water not its ability to move further.

Hope that made any sense to you. have a look at formula mod, they have got some decent products.
Yeah I'm experimenting atm. But I wanted to have at least 1 gpm. I think I was just expecting to much out of this pump and I'm overthinking the rest. Do you think that pump I just bought would give me 1gpm with the push Pump I already have?

Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 Blower, Ryzen 2600 4.0 ghz, AIO Cool Mast Seidon 120mm, 3200 ddr3 cl16, B450m Asrock Pro 4 Mobo, 700 Watt PSU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 10:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 85 (Unique: 68)
3/8 or 10mm tube should be the smallest tube you use for several reasons. The best are in my opinion:

It closely matches the internal diameter of G1/4 fittings, which are of course the standard. Larger tube diameter does in theory allow lower restriction but because we use G1/4 fittings the loop will always have a bunch of 10mm taps setting the restriction.

Restriction caused by tube diameter increases by factors instead of linearly. Once under 10mm the restriction ramps up extremely quickly as diameter falls.
6mm (1/4") barbs you have are way more restrictive than 10mm barbs

Also: all centrifugal pumps like we use for water-cooling are non self priming. Self priming pumps are capable of moving air until water arrives from the res. A piston pump is an example of a self priming pump. They suck for flow efficiency though compared to centrifugal.

Last edited by Ashcroft; 09-02-2019 at 10:51 PM.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Ashcroft View Post
3/8 or 10mm tube should be the smallest tube you use for several reasons. The best are in my opinion:

It closely matches the internal diameter of G1/4 fittings, which are of course the standard. Larger tube diameter does in theory allow lower restriction but because we use G1/4 fittings the loop will always have a bunch of 10mm taps setting the restriction.

Restriction caused by tube diameter increases by factors instead of linearly. Once under 10mm the restriction ramps up extremely quickly as diameter falls.
6mm (1/4") barbs you have are way more restrictive than 10mm barbs

Also: all centrifugal pumps like we use for water-cooling are non self priming. Self priming pumps are capable of moving air until water arrives from the res. A piston pump is an example of a self priming pump. They suck for flow efficiency though compared to centrifugal.
Makes sense. Short story: The 1/4 inch cpu block barbs that came with my block threw me off. I went with a somewhat better submersible pump. I'm going to get new tubing/fittings and do a quick comparison.

My fittings are 1/4'', which caused me to go to home depot and get some 1/4'' tubing ($7) 20 feet. I still have 10 feet of very poor 3/8'' tubing that kinks, real junk tubing I got off Amazon, $8 it's way to thin, it's not worth the hassle of sending back despite not being the item in the pic. I can still use that stuff for some testing later on. I'll end up grabbing some 3/8'' tubing and fittings via home depot, from what I've seen they really shine price and quality wise in this area, along with any adapters. So that's good to know.

If mixing steel and copper is a bad idea then why is every barb made of steel. (I'm guessing) I don't think this is an issue. Brass and copper idk. While this is not currently for a permanent system, I don't want to mix corrosive metals if I don't have too. I'm on a budget for a few reasons, money and I want to make something practical as a hobby. I could just buy some cheap radiators and call it a day, but that's not fun . And eventually implement a new fanless case design I thought up around 5 months ago, again as a hobby but practical as a challenge. (No not my current 50 gallon fun) It's going to be a while, tight lipped on it atm, I'll have to make the parts myself or get someone who can weld it.

It looks like copper and brass are fine, I was asking about this because brass barbs are cheap at Home Depot.
https://www.overclockers.com/forums/...pper-and-brass

Last edited by treetops422; 09-03-2019 at 04:54 AM.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 06:08 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 403 (Unique: 271)
Quote: Originally Posted by treetops422 View Post

4. Mixing metals is bad but, when you use say alum\copper\nickel what about brass\copper or steel\copper? steel\copper\brass?
If mixing steel and copper is a bad idea then why is every barb made of steel. (I'm guessing) I don't think this is an issue.
While you may not think it's an issue, science tends to disagree.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....

Last edited by ciarlatano; 09-03-2019 at 06:11 AM.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 07:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 544 (Unique: 309)
cheap barbs are made of steel... not all barbs... as you even highlighted.

brass n copper is fine.

one think you really shouldn't cheap out on is coolant, in this instance i'd HIGHLY RECOMMEND Mayhem's Corrosion, and inhibitor droppers. It's incredibly effective, and incredibly cost efficient. I went through 3 gallons of coolant this weekend, n my droppers are still basically full. Best $30 i've ever spent on coolant.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post
While you may not think it's an issue, science tends to disagree.

Correct me if I'm looking at the chart wrong, but it says it's ok to mix Alum and Copper....

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 08:02 AM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 790 (Unique: 450)
Correct me if I'm looking at the chart wrong, but it says it's ok to mix Alum and Copper....

look again - the copper corrodes alum but alum doesn't corrode copper.

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	9
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	293236

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 08:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 544 (Unique: 309)
its best to stick to copper and brass.

Aluminum can be used (as seen in cheap radiators) but I'd avoid aluminum blocks. They aren't doing so well.

I'm going to say it again. Your experiment here is a prime candidate for Mayhem's biocide and inhibitor drops. They'll keep your mixed metal system for corroding.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in