Unable to get radiator completely clean - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Unable to get radiator completely clean

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Unable to get radiator completely clean

I have a Hardware Labs 360 GTS radiator that I've been trying to clean and install in my loop but I'm have a lot of trouble getting it fully clean.

I used Mayhems Blitz Part 1 for the initial cleaning and I'm currently trying to flush everything. For each flush I filled the radiator half-way with distilled water and shook it vigorously side-to-side and up and down for about 30 seconds.

I've attached an image of what the flushed contents look like after about 20-30 flushes. No matter what I've tried so far these brown "flakes" still come out of the radiator in roughly the same amounts each flush.

I even tried hooking up the radiator to my faucet, running some hot water for 10 minutes, and then doing an additional 10 flushes with distilled water and it's still the same thing.

Is this some kind of corrosion in the radiator or do I just need to keep going? I've quite literally spent 2-3 hours and about 2 gallons of distilled water trying to get this thing completely clean and I see no end in sight.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190901_211317.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	293920  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 43 (Unique: 29)
I know it's going to sound insane, but when I was cleaning my HL (4x480) I literately shook them hard each time I flushed it, probably 20-30 times as well, maybe even more, my arms were sore is heck, but trust me, at some point you won't see that.

This is not rust, It's the flux, just make sure when you emptying the water turn the rad upside down and sideways then keep emptying, HL rads have way of trapping water in its channels and maybe that's why you keep on seen this, but the small particles you see will eventually be gone.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by NewUser16 View Post
I know it's going to sound insane, but when I was cleaning my HL (4x480) I literately shook them hard each time I flushed it, probably 20-30 times as well, maybe even more, my arms were sore is heck, but trust me, at some point you won't see that.

This is not rust, It's the flux, just make sure when you emptying the water turn the rad upside down and sideways then keep emptying, HL rads have way of trapping water in its channels and maybe that's why you keep on seen this, but the small particles you see will eventually be gone.

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to know I'm not going crazy, because this turned out to be more of a workout than I had planned.

Interesting note about the channels trapping water. Guess I'll keep going until I don't see this anymore. I'm at least a little bit disappointed in the quality of this radiator as I expected more from HL and had read their radiators were some of the cleanest out of the factory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 09:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 48 (Unique: 45)
No, you're not going crazy. HWLabs radiators are usually quite clean but I have heard of users having a lot of flux coming out of the GTS for some reason. As NewUser16 mentioned it'll eventually all come out.

I have a HWLabs Nemesis 360GTX, I used Blitz Part 1 in it and nothing came out of it after an 8 hour P1 soak but the blue/green water. I hooked my rad up to my res/pump, filled the res up with distilled water and let it push the fluid through the rad into a bucket to help push out any trash.

Perpetual 21:9
(13 items)
CPU
i7 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus VIII Hero
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC @ 2Ghz
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Cooling
HWLabs Nemesis 360, EK fittings, Photon res w/ D5
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Monitor
34UC79G-B, 144Hz, G-Sync
Keyboard
Corsair K65 LUX
Mouse
Glorious Model O
Mousepad
Steelseries Prism XL
Audio
ATH M50x
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 06:55 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 64 (Unique: 50)
Hi,
Yeah just run hot water through it using faucet for a few hours both directions
Save the shake and bake for after with distilled water.

CPU
i9-9940x With Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
Yeah just run hot water through it using faucet for a few hours both directions
Save the shake and bake for after with distilled water.

Me too. I run flushes through my kitchen faucet spray hose, take the sprayer off and power flush that sucker then shake out as much water as I can then I install it in the PC, hook it to a pump/res, and flush it a couple of times with distilled to get faucet water out, drain, replace with sys prep, run that, drain, flush with distilled 2 more times, fill with coolant and done.

Sounds like a lot, and it kind of is, but my arms aren't worn out afterward and I inspect my blocks regularly, I buy clear top blocks just for that purpose, and I have no debris blocking the water channels, my temps even under load (I don't OC so) never go above 50-53c on my fluid going into the rad, CPU typically runs 5-8c hotter than my fluid.

Open Air Build
(13 items)
CPU
i9
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming
GPU
MSI GEFORCE GTX1080 TI GAMING X 11G
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA
Cooling
All PrimoChill parts (Rad 360, Pumps D5, Fittings, and Acrylic Tubing), Byskey CPU&GPU Blocks
Case
Praxis Wet Bench
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus Predrator
Other
Thermaltake Commander F6 Fan Controller
Other
DIY Sleeved Cables
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 43 (Unique: 29)
When comes to HL radiators, they are the best you can get. Not only that they are the cleanest, despite what you see, but they are also the best performing radiators and the quality is as good as you can get.

Unlike other rads that you need to get high static pressure fans in order to get good performance with HL you can use any and I mean any fans and they will perform great.

HL radiators uses very thin fin material and 2 row of very narrow inner tubes to accommodate both silent's and performance that's why any of HL rads will hold min. of liquid oppose to some of other brands, but that can create "issue" a little struggle like you seen right now.

The tiny dual rows of tubing traps water and any crap with it, so even thou, eventually the particles will find their way out, until then you have to try to clean them as much as you can and that's why just letting water even by connecting them to sink won't get them out, you need to change direction on how you holding the rad when you emptying them, but once the particles are gone, rest assure, you will not look at any other radiator the same way

Last edited by NewUser16; 09-07-2019 at 11:29 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the suggestions. I flushed the radiator about 10-20 times more and was able to eliminate the remaining flux residue.

@NewUser16 's suggestion about making sure the radiator is completely drained of water is what I think did the trick. I don't think the tap water flushing I did actually had a significant effect. The only way to fully clean these radiators seems to be violently shaking it several times and then shaking out the water while tilting it side-to-side like he mentioned.

HWLabs does make a really good radiator. I do have another 360 GTS that had little to no flux residue and was clean in about 5 flushes. I guess I drew the short straw with this particularly stubborn one.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 06:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 544 (Unique: 309)
next time, just go get some pool acid, water it down, flush, then flush again with baking soda,

or mayhems cleaning supplies are phenomenal.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in