Motherboard header not compatible with Barrow temperature sensor? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Motherboard header not compatible with Barrow temperature sensor?

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by looniam View Post
the 3 pin should work on a 4 pin header since all standard headers have 1)ground 2)12v 3)sense 4)pwn control. the 3 pin ignores/doesn't use pwm control.
this show how the "clip" lines up for the difference comparing a 3 to 4 pin header:
Attachment 294392

i don't think gigabyte would break standards as that would cause issues with all fans.
Yeah, I think the 4-pin is compatible with 3-pin voltage controlled fans. However, I think this temperature sensor has just 1.) 5V and 3.) ground. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know, but I've never seen a connector like this. I've been looking to see if this is a standard connector, since if they make an adapter I could probably power it off of molex.

Here's the image from Barrow's website that I'm basing this off of:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1561952755100767.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	294404

So it looks like I'm out of luck unless I remove the existing connector and use a standard 3-pin connector or if I get the Barrow controller. Regardless, thanks for the help everyone! I hope this helps others who are interested in grabbing one of these sensors.

Last edited by annul; 09-09-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 06:01 PM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 791 (Unique: 451)
are you sure about that 5v?

here is a vid showing it using 12v only w/molex adapter:

E:
oh fudge, i just realized that red wire IS 5v. but i have no idea where those are at.

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 07:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
That guy in the video just used a custom molex adapter to get the 5v. it seems like it just needs a straight DC 5v supply and the simple solution is get that via a molex adapter.

Fan headers do not give 5v only 12v hence the molex adapter. ( To use a fan header you need to do some math and work out an appropriate resistor based on current draw or get fancy and whack in a voltage regulator - either way too much effort compared to just pulling 5v from a molex)

Last edited by clannagh; 09-09-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 07:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 544 (Unique: 309)
i don't see why you can't re-pin.

I've done this numerous times, n PWM pumps ship like this all the time.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 08:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by annul View Post

So it looks like I'm out of luck unless I remove the existing connector and use a standard 3-pin connector or if I get the Barrow controller. Regardless, thanks for the help everyone! I hope this helps others who are interested in grabbing one of these sensors.
NO DO NOT DO THAT - the device needs 5v. Fan headers, whether 3 pin or 4 pin will give you 12v which likely will burn it out.

You need to get 5v from somewhere and the simplest way is to make up a custom molex adapter.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 08:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
I had a BARROWCH (not Barrow) temp sensor that looked similar to this. The temp sensor is designed to run off of a fan header, 3 pin or 4 pin.

HOWEVER, the BARROWCH temp sensor needed 12 volts all the time. I burned up two when my BIOS defaulted back to factory and switched the fan header back to 9v.
A direct 12v feed from molex or sata would be safer if you do not have a header that defaults to 100%.

The other fitting is to hook up to the Barrow RGB board. This must be a Barrow specific feature.
Not sure why you need it because I did not see where RGB was used on this sensor. The display is powered and run off the temp sensor body.

Please note that there is no temp output on the temp sensor, only the display is used. Otherwise there would be a 2 pin 10K female end available to hook up to.

Build: msi C8r (Carbon8r)
Core i7-9700K OC 5 GHz, MSI Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON Mobo, AMD Radeon VII GPU OC 2K MHz, Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M SE ATX Case.
XSPC RayStorm Pro CPU w/b, Bykski Radeon VII GPU w/b, EKWB 140 Revo D5 Pump & Res.
Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 LT USB Fan-Controller, Vision Touch and 'High Flow' Sensor.
(2x) Hardware Labs Black ice Nemesis 280GTS XFLOW radiators and (1x) Alphacool NexXxoS XT45X-Flow 140 in full push/pull.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by clannagh View Post
NO DO NOT DO THAT - the device needs 5v. Fan headers, whether 3 pin or 4 pin will give you 12v which likely will burn it out.

You need to get 5v from somewhere and the simplest way is to make up a custom molex adapter.
The fan headers on my motherboard are "hybrid" PWM headers. According to Gigabyte they can sense the voltage from the device that's plugged in, although I'm not sure how. They don't have information on what it defaults to either, but you're correct that it seems risky to assume. I'd appreciate if anyone can chime in on how these hybrid headers work.

Quote: Originally Posted by Moose-Tech View Post
HOWEVER, the BARROWCH temp sensor needed 12 volts all the time. I burned up two when my BIOS defaulted back to factory and switched the fan header back to 9v.
A direct 12v feed from molex or sata would be safer if you do not have a header that defaults to 100%.

The other fitting is to hook up to the Barrow RGB board. This must be a Barrow specific feature.
Not sure why you need it because I did not see where RGB was used on this sensor. The display is powered and run off the temp sensor body.
A closer look at the Formulamod and Barrow product page for the DK301 controller reveals that this specific temperature sensor requires 5V DC. It seems like this is a fairly new product and one that they've made to integrate specifically with their controller, unlike the previous FBFT02-V2 that could be plugged in straight to a fan header.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 04:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by annul View Post
The fan headers on my motherboard are "hybrid" PWM headers. According to Gigabyte they can sense the voltage from the device that's plugged in, although I'm not sure how. They don't have information on what it defaults to either, but you're correct that it seems risky to assume. I'd appreciate if anyone can chime in on how these hybrid headers work.
Pretty sure a hybrid fan header just means it can flip between PWM speed control or variable voltage speed control.

I very much doubt it can auto-sense a device that needs 5v and automatically reduce the voltage to a safe level, that seems highly unlikely.

Forget the fan headers and just get a 5v supply to the device. Rig up a molex adapter or even run it off dry cell batteries if need be.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 04:38 PM
The 6502 Still Rocks

Rep: 30 (Unique: 28)
I would go the molex connector route mentioned previously ... or a SATA power connector since you can get 5V there. Obviously, a USB header will also have a solid 5V. The hybrid fan headers allow both PWM control or voltage control. So you COULD set the header to analog voltage control mode and fix it at 40% to get 5V. But ... if that config ever gets overwritten you'll end up with 12V and probably burn out the temp unit. I would say they did a really poor job of getting their temp display connected to an available power source in the PC. If you connected it up to pins 1 and 3 of one of your fan headers, you probably didn't do any harm to it. But if you connected it to pins 1 and 2, you may have hit it with 12V and it may not be coming back from that.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I thought I'd post a final update on this. I ended up getting the Barrow ARSKZQ 5V controller and was able to supply power to the sensor. Hopefully this helps anyone out there who was wondering how to power one of these. I have to say I'm glad with how it turned out and it makes a good companion to the Barrow flow sensor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190915_184815.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	295734

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in