Motherboard header not compatible with Barrow temperature sensor? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Motherboard header not compatible with Barrow temperature sensor?

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Motherboard header not compatible with Barrow temperature sensor?

Hello, I have the following temperature sensor hooked up in my loop: http://www.barrowint.com/plus/view.php?aid=1210

I'm using a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master in my build and I have the temp sensor hooked up to one of the system fan headers. I believe all fan headers on this motherboard are hybrid PWM fan headers (at least according to Gigabyte's website).

The temp sensor display shows nothing when I boot the system. I set the fan speed to 100% and the control mode to "Voltage" in the BIOS and I still don't see any output. Any chance that I can run this sensor off of my motherboard?

Thanks!

Last edited by annul; 09-08-2019 at 09:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 09:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
A quick google reveals that motherboard has temperature headers EC_TEMP1 and EC_TEMP2 for connecting temperature sensors. Are you using those for your sensor or the fan headers ?

EDIT: OK I see the device you are using directly measures water temp so ignore that comment.

Last edited by clannagh; 09-08-2019 at 09:17 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 09:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 544 (Unique: 309)
based on a quick look @ barrow's advertising.

it comes with a splitter.

the skinny long one goes to USB, the other one goes to fan.

i'm not actually sure why you'd need the usb connection, if its a stand alone flow meter. Or vice versa, seems like it would be powered just fine from USB header.

this is why I stick to aquacomputer for anything digital-watercooling. Barrow does have them beat on aesthetic here though. I think i'd take aquacomputer software any day of the year though. They've been tuning it since before barrow was a company.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by clannagh View Post
A quick google reveals that motherboard has temperature headers EC_TEMP1 and ECTEMP2 for connector temperature sensors. Are you using those for your sensor or the fan headers ?

I'm using the fan headers. I believe this is what Barrow recommends as well (under "Feature" in this table): http://www-x-barrowint-x-com.img.abc...15ad9d9701.jpg

Last edited by annul; 09-08-2019 at 09:28 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 09:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by annul View Post
I'm using the fan headers. I believe this is what Barrow recommends as well (under "Feature" in this table):
have you tried connecting the usb? That'll be way more power than a fan header. I think the fan header is just to read tach back to board based monitoring software.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
based on a quick look @ barrow's advertising.

it comes with a splitter.

the skinny long one goes to USB, the other one goes to fan.

i'm not actually sure why you'd need the usb connection, if its a stand alone flow meter. Or vice versa, seems like it would be powered just fine from USB header.

this is why I stick to aquacomputer for anything digital-watercooling. Barrow does have them beat on aesthetic here though. I think i'd take aquacomputer software any day of the year though. They've been tuning it since before barrow was a company.

The weird thing is the sensor that I ordered doesn't come with the splitter. My interpretation of that image on their website is that the splitter is so you can use their proprietary fan controller. So I'm not sure why the splitter is needed and as I understand it's just a way to integrate it with another product. Would be awesome if any Chinese-speaking users can chime in on that one.

You're right that Aquacomputer has Barrow beat on most fronts when it comes to digital monitoring. I planned to fit this in-line in my loop for mostly aesthetic reasons.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 09:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

idk man, idk enough to know if a single fan header can power all that's going on in there.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 01:26 AM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 790 (Unique: 450)
Quote:
FBFT02-V3,
Only can connect 5v interface, do not connect motherboard 12v
Compatible with ARSKZQ, DK301 controller
https://www.formulamod.com/barrowch-...-p1798520.html

best i found googling around.

though the previous version, i found somewhere, mentioned to make sure you set the fan header 100% (full speed) in the bios before using . . .

disappointed i couldn't find a PDF/manual anywhere.

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
idk man, idk enough to know if a single fan header can power all that's going on in there.
Yeah I think you're right. Now that I look at it more, I'm having some doubts if the unit could be powered off of the fan header alone.

Quote: Originally Posted by looniam View Post
https://www.formulamod.com/barrowch-...-p1798520.html

best i found googling around.

though the previous version, i found somewhere, mentioned to make sure you set the fan header 100% (full speed) in the bios before using . . .

disappointed i couldn't find a PDF/manual anywhere.
Yikes, this is pretty interesting. So what I'm taking away from this is that I need Barrow's proprietary fan/RGB controller in order to power this thing?

Apologies if it seems like I'm asking stupid questions. I haven't really seen a connector like this and Barrow's documentation is basically nonexistent. I've already contacted Gigabyte support but I suppose I'll contact Barrow as well.

EDIT: So after looking more closely at the Formulamod website, it looks like the connector for the sensor is specific to the pinout for the DK301 controller. This means the connector's pin 1 is the hot and pin 3 is the ground. The Aorus Master fan header pinout consists of GND, Voltage Speed Control, Sense, and PWM Speed Control for pins 1-4 respectively. I think this means there's no way to use a conventional 3-pin or 4-pin fan header (or even adapter) to connect this thing unless I re-pin the connector to a 3- or 4-pin fan connector. That's extremely disappointing, but I suppose I should have done my due diligence.

Last edited by annul; 09-09-2019 at 01:13 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 02:35 PM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 790 (Unique: 450)
Quote: Originally Posted by annul View Post
Yeah I think you're right. Now that I look at it more, I'm having some doubts if the unit could be powered off of the fan header alone.

Yikes, this is pretty interesting. So what I'm taking away from this is that I need Barrow's proprietary fan/RGB controller in order to power this thing?

Apologies if it seems like I'm asking stupid questions. I haven't really seen a connector like this and Barrow's documentation is basically nonexistent. I've already contacted Gigabyte support but I suppose I'll contact Barrow as well.

EDIT: So after looking more closely at the Formulamod website, it looks like the connector for the sensor is specific to the pinout for the DK301 controller. This means the connector's pin 1 is the hot and pin 3 is the ground. The Aorus Master fan header pinout consists of GND, Voltage Speed Control, Sense, and PWM Speed Control for pins 1-4 respectively. I think this means there's no way to use a conventional 3-pin or 4-pin fan header (or even adapter) to connect this thing unless I re-pin the connector to a 3- or 4-pin fan connector. That's extremely disappointing, but I suppose I should have done my due diligence.
i overlooked the pin out on the sensor connector - i assumed it was four pin as a usb 2.0 header. so maybe that just for the barrow controller and i misunderstood it. yeah lack of alot info here even when trying to be diligent.

the 3 pin should work on a 4 pin header since all standard headers have 1)ground 2)12v 3)sense 4)pwn control. the 3 pin ignores/doesn't use pwm control.
this show how the "clip" lines up for the difference comparing a 3 to 4 pin header:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	5
Size:	843.4 KB
ID:	294392

i don't think gigabyte would break standards as that would cause issues with all fans.

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by looniam; 09-09-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in