Looking for Advice What CPU Block to Get. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Looking for Advice What CPU Block to Get.

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 8)
Looking for Advice What CPU Block to Get.

Hello,

After finding a pretty good bargain, I bought the ASUS Prime x470 Pro motherboard for $108. Now I'm wanting to watercool my computer and am looking for a CPU block now. Was looking at either Watercool or Phanteks for the block at first as both are good blocks, but then I started considering getting a monoblock for my board. What I'm concerned about is that when a water cooled system the fans wont be pushing much air through the case which concerns me as this mobo doesnt have the greatest VRMs and the heatsink on the mobo doesn't have a lot of surface area. This is what leads toward getting a monoblock from EK (https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fb-asus...-rgb-monoblock) as they make this block that their configurator says will fit the Prime x470 but I read a review that some of the VRMs weren't covered by the Strix monoblock on the Prime which I find bizarre and should take that review with a grain of salt. So Im looking for some feedback on which route I should go, the monoblock does look cleaner I admit so on aesthetics alone that has my vote but the price of the monoblock is pretty steep in comparison.

Last edited by MrGrievous; 09-10-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 28)
I have been using Heatkiller for decades and never failed me, always looked like new after years of use but I have always used the higher grade that they are made with e.g. copper/nickel and now I have black copper, they are more$ but worth it I try to stay away from acrylic, they seem to be a bit fragile, but this is only my personal preference.

As far is Monoblock...It's OK as well and I guess it's up to the persons taste If you prefer the looks and yeah If you worry about VRMs then it's seem that It's the way to go and although I heard that it doesn't perform as well as the CPU block itself, but I could be wrong

Last edited by NewUser16; 09-10-2019 at 11:15 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 8)
Alright I think the monoblock will be the winner here if it means the mobo would last longer then its a worthwhile investment. Next time Im in a similar situation I will pick out a better board with better VRMs/large heat sink that I can then just use a CPU block instead.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:00 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 64 (Unique: 50)
Hi,
Mono blocks only look cool they do not actually cool better than cpu/ vrm blocks do.
Plenty of people have mono blocks hanging on their wall of shame me included.

CPU
i9-9940x With Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 04:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 13)
Years ago monoblocks and northbridge blocks was needed for insane overclocks,Today they are mostly just for looks or end up adding a few degrees to the cpu temp in the loop.Most boards today have more then enough vrm cooling stock as long as they have airflow over them.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 06:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 37 (Unique: 27)
My recommendation, this CPU Block fit nice on ASUS Prime X470 PRO.
Attached Images

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 08:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 544 (Unique: 309)
Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
Mono blocks only look cool they do not actually cool better than cpu/ vrm blocks do.
Plenty of people have mono blocks hanging on their wall of shame me included.
yep, i filled mine with pure x1 n sealed em on my RIVBE, which is now in retirement, and on air. They did help a bit back then, but still wasn't a necessity for standard overclock fun.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 08:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 28)
Quote: Originally Posted by Vlada011 View Post
My recommendation, this CPU Block fit nice on ASUS Prime X470 PRO.
This is absolutely gorges block. On that video with DazMode visiting Watercool facility, he made a comment that when you look at Heatkiller block you cannot mistake it with any other block, you know its Heatkiller, they do make freakishly nice blocks with absolutely Top-notch quality.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Yes I heared DazMode who is one of guys with biggest experience with watercooling parts when say Watercool - Enthusiasts, EK - Mainstream.

They had and other variants, but 4 models full metal are different class.
For me G 1/4 port from metal is advantage compare to models with Acrylic, Derlin, POM, Acetal and I don't know what else manufacturers use for CPU-GPU blocks.
Because metal is fitting and thread is sharp and it's much better if block is from metal completely, for durability.
I will ask and experts what they think if I use G 1/4 normal extender to install in Heatkiller 100 D5 ports. I would keep them installed always and only remove fittings.
That mean pressure on softer material only once and fittings will be tight in mental part, not POM.

Heatkiller IV PRO AMD Black Copper - 18035
http://shop.watercool.de/epages/Wate...Products/18035

Heatkiller IV PRO AMD Copper Nickel - 18011
http://shop.watercool.de/epages/Wate...Products/18011

Heatkiller IV PRO AMD Pure Copper - 18012
http://shop.watercool.de/epages/Wate...Products/18012

Heatkiller IV PRO AMD Copper Antracite - Z18010
http://shop.watercool.de/18010

My favotire is Black Copper... but all of these models are first line and sturdiest CPU blocks available.
Threadripper Copper Nickel 18026 is amazing as well.

Last edited by Vlada011; 09-16-2019 at 02:10 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 02:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

I feel much better when I help people to choose right parts.
I not shame to say that only mistake I done in more then 15 years building for me and people around me and choosing parts I never mad mistake to choose something and later to remorse because my choice.
I never choose hot CPU models, never chipset who become obsolete after short time, didn't hurry, always check 10 times where to spend money but I don't understand how before build I didn't saw some details because they were obvious.
Special because I barely save money for hardware and plan 1-2 years in future (like military ...I always wished to have watercooling but always somehow hardware were more important. And then when I find small space to buy something I made mistakes and now need Heatkiller 100 D5 and D5 WCP non PWM, normal with speed controller and Black Ice Nemesis GTS 360 in worse moment because economic situation I need to find somehow space again. I need to replace and fittings, maybe on hard tubes, but when I finish with these parts I will sold mine and have enough to choose Koolance Chrome 13.10 Fittings or Koolance HT Black Fittings 12/10.
I always had luck to choose parts and later to see how my choice was smart but mine watercooling parts selection mistake.

It's obvious why Dazmode sad that you cannot mistake Watercool.de with any other company.
Because they build parts in Germany. Bitspower made best fittings because they are made in Taiwan and that's significant difference then China where 2/3 watercooling parts is build. Such things are important for me and I don't care because new generations don't know to appreciate such things, they should learn. Because soon or later they will ask better quality when become older and Aliexpress will not satisfied them.

Last edited by Vlada011; 09-16-2019 at 02:29 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in