WC loop setup in new Phanteks Luxe 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

WC loop setup in new Phanteks Luxe 2

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
WC loop setup in new Phanteks Luxe 2

Hi all,

I am thinking about a WC setup in the new Phanteks Luxe 2 and I have several doubts. I am targeting for the best cooling performance with minimun noise at the same time and using the best quality components that is possible.

The hardware will probably be a Ryzen 3900x/3950x and one RTX 2080 Ti.

The water cooling setup I have in mind is the following:

· 2 x 360mm Alphacool NexXxos XT45 V2 rads for bottom and top.
· 1 x 480mm Alphacool NexXxos XT45 V2 rad for front
· 1 x 480mm XSPC TX rad for side
· 1 x D5 pump
· Heatkiller IV Pro block for CPU
· Heatkiller IV por GPU
· Fans: Noctua NF A12-25 for all rads (push config)
· Aquaero 6 LT controlling and monitoring pump, water temp and fans rpms

I realize that this could be a bit overkill but I want fans spinning at their lowest rpm without compromise cooling performance.

My doubts are:

1) Are these Alphacool NexXxos XT V2 radiators good enough in terms of performance, build quality and durability? Does Alphacool make good components or it should be better to look for other rads?
2) What about this XSPC rad? I was having a look at several reviews and they looks good enough (similar to my current HWL GTS rads but less restrictive and also with good quality).
3) Is one D5 pump enough for this loop or it will be better to use 2 x D5 pump?

Many thanks all in advance!

R9 3900x
(10 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen9 3900x
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
GPU
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra
RAM
G.Skill 32 GB (2x16) DDR4 3200 MHz CL14 @ 3800 CL16
Hard Drive
Corsair MP600 1TB m.2 SSD
Power Supply
Seasonic 850w Prime Ultra Titanium
Case
Phanteks Luxe 2
Monitor
Dell Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Corsair K63 Wireless
Mousepad
Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 02:04 AM
Smug, Jaded, Enervated.

Rep: 101 (Unique: 66)
No such thing as overkill here!

To answer your questions, firstly, Alphacool radiators are perfectly fine (I have several 180mm rads in my current project, and have used their rads for years without issue), they perform great (They aren't the best out there, but the difference in marginal between the top end rads), they look great, and these days their quality is fine (but be sure to thoroughly flush them regardless)...and for 45mm thickness rads, I don't think there is anything else on the market that competes really.

The XSPC rad should be fine for its purpose, the performance difference between all the super thin rads is marginal at best, but keep in mind, that being 22fpi, it'll require a bit more airflow than the other rads, and probably raise the sound output of your set-up slightly (it'll probably be negligible though), you could just go with an Alphacool ST30 480mm rad instead, they are only 10mm thicker than the XSPC radiator, and far less dense in fins per inch.

And I would recommend going with two D5's, so that if one dies, you have redundancy in the loop.

Otherwise, it all sounds like it will be a pretty solid loop, and impressive system.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 05:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 15)
I don’t see a flow meter among your list. I suggest adding one.

My Baby
(24 items)
CPU
Delidded Direct Die I9 9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Apex
GPU
EVGA FTW3 Hydro Copper GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3600 F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Hard Drive
Asus Hyper M.2 card
Hard Drive
2 x Intel 660P 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
Watercool HEATKILLER IV PRO
Cooling
2x Swiftech MCP35X2 with MCP35X2 Heat Sink
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTR
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS
Cooling
Aquacomputer aqualis XT 450 ml with nano coating
Cooling
9x Noctua NF-S12A PWM
Cooling
2x Noctua NA-A15 PWM
Cooling
24x EK Vadar F4120ER
Case
Case Labs Magnum M8 with Pedestal
Monitor
Asus PG28Q
Keyboard
Das Keyboard 5Q
Mouse
Swiftpoint Z
Audio
Mr. Speakers Aeon Closed
Audio
Geek Pulse Inifnity DAC/AMP
Audio
Cavalii Audio Liquid Carbon HPA
Other
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by GHADthc View Post
No such thing as overkill here!

To answer your questions, firstly, Alphacool radiators are perfectly fine (I have several 180mm rads in my current project, and have used their rads for years without issue), they perform great (They aren't the best out there, but the difference in marginal between the top end rads), they look great, and these days their quality is fine (but be sure to thoroughly flush them regardless)...and for 45mm thickness rads, I don't think there is anything else on the market that competes really.

The XSPC rad should be fine for its purpose, the performance difference between all the super thin rads is marginal at best, but keep in mind, that being 22fpi, it'll require a bit more airflow than the other rads, and probably raise the sound output of your set-up slightly (it'll probably be negligible though), you could just go with an Alphacool ST30 480mm rad instead, they are only 10mm thicker than the XSPC radiator, and far less dense in fins per inch.

And I would recommend going with two D5's, so that if one dies, you have redundancy in the loop.

Otherwise, it all sounds like it will be a pretty solid loop, and impressive system.
Many thanks for your answer. One of my main concerns is about the quality of Alphacool rads, but as far as I know they look fine as you say, so know I feel a bit more confidence with them.

The free space in the side of the tower once the front radiator and fans are installed is 30 mm maximum, so I need to go with the XPSC TX rad without doubt if I want to carry out this setup as I have planned.

Quote: Originally Posted by Shawnb99 View Post
I don’t see a flow meter among your list. I suggest adding one.
I didn't mention it but I will include one. In fact I will use the one I have in my current build (Aquaero flow sensor). Thanks for the reminder!

R9 3900x
(10 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen9 3900x
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Case
Phanteks Luxe 2
Monitor
Dell Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Corsair K63 Wireless
Mousepad
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 28)
Nice choice with Heatkiller parts. In every situation where you could choose Heatkiller block, pump, reservoir, combo use them.
Companies who didn't move production in China should be rewarded and helped to grow.

Alphacool V2 radiators look interesting on first place, I doubt performance could be worse then previous models.
It's full copper radiator. Only I would rather go on Black Ice Nemesis GTS/GTX.

It would be interesting comparison of new CORSAIR radiators and HW Labs. New CORSAIR radiators look to similar to Bitspower Leviathan and HW Labs, maybe HW Labs made them and if difference is small that' nice because CORSAIR is more avaialble then HW Labs Black Ice Nemesis.
But if I remember difference between Leviathan and Black Ice Nemesis is visible and worth buying original Black Ice Nemesis.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 02:32 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 404 (Unique: 271)
Quote: Originally Posted by Vlada011 View Post
Nice choice with Heatkiller parts. In every situation where you could choose Heatkiller block, pump, reservoir, combo use them.
Companies who didn't move production in China should be rewarded and helped to grow.

Alphacool V2 radiators look interesting on first place, I doubt performance could be worse then previous models.
It's full copper radiator. Only I would rather go on Black Ice Nemesis GTS/GTX.

It would be interesting comparison of new CORSAIR radiators and HW Labs. New CORSAIR radiators look to similar to Bitspower Leviathan and HW Labs, maybe HW Labs made them and if difference is small that' nice because CORSAIR is more avaialble then HW Labs Black Ice Nemesis.
But if I remember difference between Leviathan and Black Ice Nemesis is visible and worth buying original Black Ice Nemesis.
The Corsair rads are rebranded HWL L Series, the same rads as the Leviathan. Corsair just did their usual ridiculous upcharge for putting a little sailboat logo on it. The Alphacool V2 is a better performing rad with less restriction.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 11:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 28)
But HW L series is not so good as Black Ice Nemesis GTS/GTX/GTR.
How much CORSAIR ask for their radiators? To be honest I like more clean radiators without names on them.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 07:56 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 404 (Unique: 271)
Quote: Originally Posted by Vlada011 View Post
But HW L series is not so good as Black Ice Nemesis GTS/GTX/GTR.
How much CORSAIR ask for their radiators? To be honest I like more clean radiators without names on them.
Of course the L series is not as good. It is their budget line.

As far as pricing....the attached shows three prices for the same rad with different brand names. The Corsair is upcharged 50% for the logo. :eyeroll:

PPC is really high on the Leviathon. It can be had for ~$50 elsewhere.
Attached Images

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I would prefer to use HWL SR2 black ice radiators but due to case space limitations (bottom rad max width is 125mm), front rad with fans to a 36omm bottom rad is 76mm and side space with front rad installed is 30mm, I need to go with the setup metioned in the first post.

Hope to do this config possible, I have my doubts but I will try it. I am thinking in +/- things of doing a dual loop for CPU and VGA vs one single loop for everything.

Many thanks for your comments!

R9 3900x
(10 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen9 3900x
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Case
Phanteks Luxe 2
Monitor
Dell Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Corsair K63 Wireless
Mousepad
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in