High "GPU" Temps After Watercooling - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

High "GPU" Temps After Watercooling

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
High "GPU" Temps After Watercooling

Hello OCN! It's been quite some time since I have posted anything on here, and it feels nostalgic getting back on board. I recently decided it would be a good idea to spend lots of money on my first water-cooling setup, and I am having some problems with GPU temperatures.

Outline of Setup in order

- 1 Corsair XR5 (420mm) 3 X Noctua NF-P14s
- Protium 250 Resevoir
- D5 Vario (EKWB Top)
- EVGA Hydro Copper (2080 XC Ultra)
- Heatkiller IV Pro (i7 8700)

Since installing the water cooling I have noticed under stress, the GPU reports rather high temperatures. On Idle its around 34C but almost instantly jumps to 85C and stays there. I also noticed that Core(N) temperature is around 46-50C. What is the difference between the "GPU" and the Core temperature? I haven't had an opportunity to remove and re-apply thermal paste as this is a desk build and takes some time to drain/disassemble.

Any input would be appreciated.

Milan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 07:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 551 (Unique: 312)
sounds like a biffed mount. reseat the gpu block . make sure you don't have pads in the wrong place causing a gap, etc.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
sounds like a biffed mount. reseat the gpu block . make sure you don't have pads in the wrong place causing a gap, etc.
Yeah, I definitely will. I was just curious as to how the core could be at 45, while the "GPU" sensor is so far off. As for the bit about the pads, the water block came with all of them in the correct positions, and im positive I removed all the old ones. I even compared the layout of the pads to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Hoping I have some time in the next few days to give it another shot. Thanks for the quick reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 53 (Unique: 49)
Did you take the film off the thermal pads? They're located on both sides of the pad. Double check that you did.

How's the CPU when its loaded? If the temp doesn't shot up like the GPU, you can rule out flow issues.

Gaming Rig: (2) Swiffy MCP35x, UT60 + GTX 480 rad, (1) 360 HWL GTX, (1) 240 HWL GTS, HK IV, 2920X @ 4.2 GHz, AsRock X399 Fatality, (2) NVidia 1080 w/ HK IV blocks, Gammix S11 Pro 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB, 2TB Samsung F4, (4) 3 TB & (2) 5 TB Toshiba HD, CL STH10, EVGA 1300 PSU, Win 10 Pro
HTPC Rig: 2600 @ 4.1Ghz, Asus Strix B450, D5 vario w/ EK top, 480 UT60, 240 HWL GTX, Asus 290 w/ XSPC WB 1000/1300, Crucial P1 500 GB, 12TB Ironwolf, 6TB & 8TB HGST, Enthoo Primo, EVGA G2 750, Win 10 Pro
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Reseated

I managed to take the video card apart, and took some pictures of the thermal paste. Something doesn't seem right. To answer the question about the thermal pads, they're already attached to the block, so there is nothing on the other side. I also included a screenshot while I was running a Borderlands 3 benchmark. It just seems like the temperatures get up too fast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191004_173439.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	299812  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191004_173453.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	299816  

Attached Images

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 04:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

that imprint looks weak to me. I'd put the block back on, tighten around the core first, then out and around. Make sure you've got the right screws in the right holes, and make sure (if there is one) that the LED wire isn't getting pinched or something.

see, 45 is high for idle too. cards should idle ~30c on water.

depending on loop size, your initial load temp will be close to max temp.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 07:34 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 740 (Unique: 540)
Isn't there supposed to be some metal bracket that goes around the die? Not sure what it does, maybe it prevents the pcb from bowing or something.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Yes, there is a metal bracket. I wasn't sure if that was the issue, so I took it off and tried to re tighten it. It's just off in the photo. The temperature of the GPU is around 30 at idle. You can see after the benchmark, near the end of the graph it dropped back down to 29.

There were two sets of screws, and I double checked that they were the correct ones. Not sure what to do at this point. I May contact EVGA and see what they have to say.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 07:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

have you looked for a break down video? I'd assume you can find footage of someone taking apart, and re-assembling your HC.

then also, cruise the 2080 club, compare with their temps. 99% of them are under water.

still, based on that photo. it looks like the dye is barely touching the cold plate.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 08:09 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 305 (Unique: 244)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post

still, based on that photo. it looks like the dye is barely touching the cold plate.
Definitely a bad mount, its not making enough contact to transfer heat. I just had the same issue with a new bykski block, turned out i put spacers when it didn't need any.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in