Overclock.net banner

least maintenance possible

1K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  dommii 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

I am building a computing rig featuring AMD 3960x, PNY P2200 and ASUS Prime TRX40-PRO. This rig will do 24/7 simulations, so I am looking for a costom loop with high performance, stability and least maintenance. After reading many reviews, I choose WaterCool Heatkiller IV, EK EX360 with Noctua Industrial 3000, EK ZMT and a Fractal Meshify S2, but when it comes down to pump, reservoir and coolant I am absolutely clueless.

There is no need for color or bling, just pure performance and availability in germany. I would be very happy for every advise you can provide to get this system as maintenancefree as possible.

Best regards,

Dominic

#2 ·
I realise in the watercooling section that this may not be a popular view, but after having a good pump die on me overnight on a 24/7 box... I've only every stuck to air cooling for boxes that are going to spend significant amounts of their life unattended. The system survived (though I was slightly amazed it did, given the temps it was reporting in the morning) but... once bitten, twice shy.

On boxes I get physical access to much more frequently, custom loops are fine. But if it will be at 100% load all the time... minimal points of failure are a good idea.

#3 ·
yep, dual pump or air cooling.

though really, pump failure, that doesn't leak, shouldn't break anything. Chips have protections in place to prevent suicide.

#4 ·
Hi,
Watercool
You're already getting heatkiller iv pro hopefully for either Intel or amd

So their pump reservoirs are pretty unbeatable in quality no need to look at anything else there plus D5 pump vario
https://shop.watercool.de/epages/Wa...ops/WatercooleK/Categories/Ausgleichsbehälter

Fluid mayhems x1 clear should be just fine on ek rads
You can get premix also if you prefer instead of also using local distilled water to mix
https://www.performance-pcs.com/wat...ems-x1-clear-concentrate-250ml-mx1c250ml.html

https://www.performance-pcs.com/wat.../mayhems-x1-coolant-1-liter-clear-mx1c1l.html

#5 ·
Go with a heatkiller res and mayhems x1 coolant.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Hi,
Dual D5's is very optional
D5's are great reliable pumps.

#8 ·
You need protections in software to shut down if temps are high, to notify you when fluid is low or flow is low and potentially shutdown as well.

Sadly the D5 etc. pumps for retail consumer market are as chinsy/cheap as it gets.
You probably want to look into more industrial/server use water cooling parts than these D5/DDC which are yes common parts, but questionable reliability and construction to be used for anything of high worth and high use with no supervision.
For home PC you see all the time, sure why not use the common parts.

#10 ·
do you even know who makes the D5/DDC pumps?
Industrial & Commercial Pumps DDC Pump

yeah cheap consumer crap. :rolleyes:

#11 ·
Just set the pump RPM and a shut down condition in the bios of your motherboard.

#12 ·
Thanks alot for all the helpful answers!

Of course we will get the CPU block in the Threadripper-Editor. According to your recommendations, we will get two WaterCool D5-Vario and a WaterCool Tube 200 D5. I will keep the dual pump thing in mind, but as there are protections for the CPU, we will keep the additional pump in stock to replace if the installed fails.

Should I go for the EK ACF (as recommended by EK) or are the well reputed Barrow fittings the better option?

The Mayhems X1 sounds like an environmentally friendly option, but are Biocide+ and Inhibitor+ 'better'?

Best regards,

Dominic

#13 ·
#14 ·
^^ the drops are the most effective low cost option, X1 is the most effective long term option.

stuff will last 3-5 years at a time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.