new Koolance 4500c external cooler - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

new Koolance 4500c external cooler

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 13)
new Koolance 4500c external cooler

https://koolance.com/liquid-cooling-system-alr-4500c

It is has a ton more cooling (over the old model) and, finally, software that can talk to the PC.

Anyone have this yet (i just order it)? Thoughts?

I'm a big fan of not having my cooling in the PC. (I change stuff around a lot, but live in a small NYC apt so i can't have an open bench. Having external cooling makes working in a PC case much ez'r (and less being yelled at by the GF. )

I've been using the older model for some time (I have a few of them. I also had their chiller too.)

I have no idea where the extra cooling is coming from as the form factor is almost the same as the older unit
https://koolance.com/erm-3k3uc-liqui...-system-copper <-- old unit
Cooling capacity: 4600W (15,696BTU/hr) with 25°C liquid-ambient delta @ 10LPM (new unit)
Cooling capacity: 2600W (8872BTU/hr) with 25°C liquid-ambient delta @ 10LPM (old model)

This uses USB (unlike the serial of the old one.. about time!)

Why am i upgrading?
Well, i'm a crazy person. (I also just ordered two 10980xe CPUs too. shhhh, i already have two x299 systems which i'm upgrading. )
Also, this new unit will be cooling to the PC connected to my TV (LG c9 77" oled.) The fans ramp up related to water temp and get pretty loud. Hopefully the new unit's whine will be better.

But if the form factor is the same as the old one, where is the better cooling coming from? (more powerful fans? (louder?))
That could be. I'm hoping the rad is better too. I'm also thinking of doubling up between the new and old units. That should be a lot of cooling.
(What i'm cooling is a 10980xe 5ghz(i hope)(it was a 7980xe at 4.7ghz) and two 2080ti kingpins with all limits removed.)

If no one has any feedback because they don't have it.. i'll give you some when i get it

(the units fit really nice into HT set ups... (note the pix is of the old unit, i'll update when i switch it out.)

Yes, these cooling units are costly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180728_160802105_iOS.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	5.65 MB
ID:	314934  

Last edited by Zurv; 12-30-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

from the Koolance support:

Quote:
Hi,

The new ALR-4500C uses higher power 184 CMF fans now, that's where the extra cooling capacity comes from. The fans in the ALR are louder than the ERM's fans.

Best regards,

Nate S.
Koolance Technical Support
pooo for me as i was hoping less noise. Maybe the whine profile will be different.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 06:16 PM
LTSC Consiglieri

Rep: 654 (Unique: 350)
2K is rough. you could hollow out and stuff your own blade full, then slap an aquaero in for easily half.

though if you've got the money, & the rack/shelf space, they've always seemed pretty legit.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I'm confused who these units are even for. I've never seen any OC'r use it (over than myself) They are priced crazy. They also aren't data center ready. ie, they would have to, themselves, alert admins if there was a problem.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 09:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I don't know about this specific product man but rack mounted products and quiet fans never go in the same sentence together in my personal experience.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

ok. This is not a unit for a person to use at your house.
1) it is F'n loud! like 10% fans == 100% fan sound from the older units
2) The unit won't auto turn on when you turn you PC on. <-- this is a big bummer to me

i was "ok" with the unit. Even the fan noise. oddly 2% fans would have been a nice fit for me, but not starting up when the PC starts up is a deal breaker.

Also sad news (at least for me) is Koolance is moving away from this space - ie, the PC OC'n community. Their focus is now business. (which is clear by the unit)

no more CPU, or video card blocks. They are just making generic cold plates.

Anyone else make large external AIO units?

I returned my unit. (ugh, return shipping...)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 08:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I have used the ERM-3K3UC for years overclocking with my PC in a 4U case

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

the ERM-3k3UC is great. Sadly this new unit isn't. The extra cool comings from the faster and MUCH MUCH louder fans.

a real bummer.

side note, never buy directly from them as their return policy is BS. pay the little bit extra and buy stuff via amazon. If it is through amazon that means they need to follow amazon return policy. (which it not friendly to the seller.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in