Moved to a 3950x, need watercooling Advice - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Moved to a 3950x, need watercooling Advice

post #1 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
I painted my display pic

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Moved to a 3950x, need watercooling Advice

I recently upgraded to a 3950X and I was curious about water cooling. I have a Lian Li Dynamic case, so it's pretty ideal for it, but I'm curious what the cost is going to be like for what I'd want out of it.

Ideally, I just want to cool my cpu, and ignore gpu for now, but with the ability to add a GPU at a later time without having to upgrade parts. Considering my GPU is a already a hybrid it seems like a waste of money to water cool it. The easiest/safest solution would be the best for me, even if it isn't the best solution. Something that can be tested for leaks easily, and or is as leak-proof as possible would be ideal. So being able to drain it easily, or requiring very low maintenance, so I guess a low dissipation rate? I assume this would not use hard tubing, as it seems a lot more challenging and requires additional tools. I'd consider it if it were notably safer/lower maintenance. I don't plan on upgrading my cpu for likely 2-3 years.

I don't own any tools or parts to do water cooling atm beyond some fans, so I need a baseline price expectation on what It would look like. I don't know the lifespan of water cooling, or how much of it can be reused for future builds, vs what will need replacement every few years.

Sorry for being so unknowledgeable, but this seemed like the place to go to find out from people that actually do this kind of thing a lot.

I'm in Canada, so some options may be completely off the table due to no shipping/costing more than alternate options. I'm assuming any prices mentioned are USD.

Edit- with a new plan based on feedback:
I will likely go with the Optimus Foundation.
As for rads, I'm leaning towards either 1 GTS radiator or 2 slim copper rads off Aliexpress.
Swiftech Maelstrom D5, unless I change my mind on round reservoirs which I might.
I really like colored coolant, but don't like the idea of it gunking things up, so might consider colored soft tubing instead.
After seeing a lot of builds I almost exclusively like silver metal fittings. Thankfully I looked because I would have originally just grabbed black.
I'd ideally want to do a color theme, but I'm so bad at picking something I won't hate in the future...

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Asus Tuf Gaming X570-Plus
Gamdias 360mm AIO
64gb Crucial DDR4 3000 CL16 @ DDR4 3466 CL16
EVGA Geforce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid

Last edited by ryokoseigo; 01-24-2020 at 08:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 02:26 PM
Tech Enthusiast

Rep: 66 (Unique: 45)
Quote: Originally Posted by ryokoseigo View Post
I recently upgraded to a 3950X and I was curious about water cooling. I have a Lian Li Dynamic case, so it's pretty ideal for it, but I'm curious what the cost is going to be like for what I'd want out of it.

Ideally, I just want to cool my cpu, and ignore gpu for now, but with the ability to add a GPU at a later time without having to upgrade parts. Considering my GPU is a already a hybrid it seems like a waste of money to water cool it. The easiest/safest solution would be the best for me, even if it isn't the best solution. Something that can be tested for leaks easily, and or is as leak-proof as possible would be ideal. So being able to drain it easily, or requiring very low maintenance, so I guess a low dissipation rate? I assume this would not use hard tubing, as it seems a lot more challenging and requires additional tools. I'd consider it if it were notably safer/lower maintenance. I don't plan on upgrading my cpu for likely 2-3 years.

I don't own any tools or parts to do water cooling atm beyond some fans, so I need a baseline price expectation on what It would look like. I don't know the lifespan of water cooling, or how much of it can be reused for future builds, vs what will need replacement every few years.

Sorry for being so unknowledgeable, but this seemed like the place to go to find out from people that actually do this kind of thing a lot.

I'm in Canada, so some options may be completely off the table due to no shipping/costing more than alternate options. I'm assuming any prices mentioned are USD.
Your best option for "Safe" and fail-proof water cooling is picking you up a 360 or 280 EKWB Phoenix. Then instead of using their AM4 block, which kind of REALLY Sucks on Zen2, get yourself an Optimus Foundation AM4 Block, Its pricey but its one of the best, if not THE best for Zen2. Then to hook it into the QDC (Quick Disconnects) on the Phoenix, Pick up just 1 QDC on Amazon. Then Get you some ZMT 10/16mm Tubing, two 10/16 Fittings, and Some EKWB Clear KryoFuel (DO NOT Get any of their colored fluid, just stick with the Clear fluid and you will be golden, its what they are already using in the Prefilled Phoenix.) And then you are good! Its what Started me on my Water Cooling Journey in 2017. I had already done Deliding, Direct Die Cooling, and AIO's for years up until that point, but never crossed into proper watercooling until I got my First Phoenix.

The Rad comes with a Pump Built in that is enough flow rate to cover One CPU Block and One GPU Block, and its Expandable via those Disconnects. It has 2 Extra G1/4 Ports on it, so you can use one as a fill port and a Drain to easily fill and drain the loop. Its really easy to use, and when you are ready you can add your GPU using all off the shelf parts, and have no problem at all, and the Performance with the Optimus Block will be top Notch!

There is an AlphaCool one alot like this, but these Quick Disconnects are what make the Phoenix the Winner For me. They Do not make them any more unfortunately, but they are constantly on Clearance, I am pretty certain you can still buy one at a much better price then I picked mine up for in 2017.

-MattTheTech

Offical Ryzen 9 3900x Owner!
Offical Ryzen 9 3950x Owner!
DodekaZen3000
(34 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3950x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200Mhz (PC4 25600) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX (x2 Kits)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850/860 Evo (x3 Raid 0 Game Drive)
Hard Drive
WD Black 4TB (x2 Raid 0 Storage Drive)
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray Burner (Model BH16NS40)
Optical Drive
5.25" to One 3.5" and One 2.25" Bay (Model Syba SY-MRA55006)
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
EKWB Phoenix 360mm Modular Cooler
Cooling
280mm Alphacool UT60
Cooling
280mm EKWB Coolstream CE
Cooling
Optimus Foundation AM4 CPU Block
Cooling
x2 Corsair Pump/Res Combo
Cooling
EKWB Acrylic 1080ti FTW Block
Cooling
Aquaero 6xt
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Samsung NU8000 55Inch TV (Its a 4k TV But I run in it 1440p 120hz)
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Custom Built 7.1 Surround System
Audio
HT-Omega eClaro 7.1 Sound Card
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
10 ML120 + 6 ML140 Corsair Maglev Fans
Other
Phanteks Halo aRGB LUX x5
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 02:28 PM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 422 (Unique: 282)
The big thing is going to be to start with solid components, and make sure that they will be useful in expansion. For example, you could get by with a small DDC pump on a CPU only loop, but spending a few dollars more on a D5 gets you a pump that will have great longevity and be able to be used in an upgrade. The nice thing about a loop is that it is expandable, so you can always add to it, but buying parts with expansion in mind saves a lot of money in the long run.

And, yes, if you want easier maintenance and additions, stick with soft tubing.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 02:33 PM
Tech Enthusiast

Rep: 66 (Unique: 45)
Here. Since they are sold out of the 360 and 280, just get 2 Of the 240's. They are on Clearance so you can get 2 almost for the price of 1 Normally. I would jump on them before they are sold out. This will also give you even better flow rate since you will now have 2 SPC Pumps in the loop, which will help when you eventually put the GPU in the Loop. If you need links to everything else, let me know. This is going to cost you, probably after the Blocks, Fittings, QDC, Tubing, and Fluid, you will be looking at about $600US, maybe a little less. But you will be setup to go full open loop later, its super simple to do maintenance because you can disconnect via the QDC's without even one Drop spilling, with the Optimus Block on your CPU you will have excellent performance at low temps, you will be really happy withit and will be completely set up to expand later. Unfortunately once EK Sells out of these, until they come out with their next version, the existing options will be limited if you don't want to do full open loop right now. So I would Jump in while you can!

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-mlc-pho...or-core-module

-MattTheTech

Offical Ryzen 9 3900x Owner!
Offical Ryzen 9 3950x Owner!
DodekaZen3000
(34 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3950x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200Mhz (PC4 25600) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX (x2 Kits)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850/860 Evo (x3 Raid 0 Game Drive)
Hard Drive
WD Black 4TB (x2 Raid 0 Storage Drive)
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray Burner (Model BH16NS40)
Optical Drive
5.25" to One 3.5" and One 2.25" Bay (Model Syba SY-MRA55006)
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
EKWB Phoenix 360mm Modular Cooler
Cooling
280mm Alphacool UT60
Cooling
280mm EKWB Coolstream CE
Cooling
Optimus Foundation AM4 CPU Block
Cooling
x2 Corsair Pump/Res Combo
Cooling
EKWB Acrylic 1080ti FTW Block
Cooling
Aquaero 6xt
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Samsung NU8000 55Inch TV (Its a 4k TV But I run in it 1440p 120hz)
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Custom Built 7.1 Surround System
Audio
HT-Omega eClaro 7.1 Sound Card
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
10 ML120 + 6 ML140 Corsair Maglev Fans
Other
Phanteks Halo aRGB LUX x5
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 02:37 PM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 128 (Unique: 84)
Hi,
Start with the best water blocks
https://optimuspc.com/products/foundation-cpu-block-amd

The rest is up to budget D5 always
Watercool is the best price range and looks for reservoir if you can get everything from Performance pc

Really depends on region U.S.A.
Optimus for local U.S. parts but it's pricey but as a startup they do warranty for 10 years

Most only have 2 year warranty but it is International and it bites

Fittings/ soft hosing you can save a little there with alphacool fittings and watercool hosing and fluid.

CPU
i9-9940x With Optimus Foundation copper-plexi and Heatkiller VRM Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Other
5.0/https://valid.x86.fr/ez2ifr
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 02:53 PM
Invalid Media

Rep: 45 (Unique: 24)

Hello - I'm in Canada (West Coast) as well and while getting water-cooling parts can be a bit more expensive and time-consuming compared to the big US retailers, it is nothing prohibitive. For a CPU-only loop, it all comes down to factors such as cost, RGB and expandability (GPU connectors and such) down the line. All that said, for basic setups, since 2012 I use either 1x or 2x XSPC RX360 rad(s) (depends on how much OC voltage), a mini-reservoir from Swiftech or the like, and dual Swiftech MPC655 (D5 type) pumps in series (> server). D5 dual pumps in series are typically not required for home use as D5s tend to be very reliable...though for server use, dual pumps in series just give you that extra peace of mind. For consumer stuff, a reservoir with a built-in (rather than separate) D5 pump is also a good solution.

If you plan to change things around or upgrade later (ie bring GPU into the loop, or add a second GPU), so-called Quick-Disconnects in your loop are useful as well...I always go with Koolance QD4s for that. Beyond that, there's a plethora of choices re. CPU blocks (my standard is Watercool Heatkiller IV, but there are others) and for fans...you have to choose RGB or not, high pressure and/or low noise. For basic high performance non-RGB, I use the Corsair ML (magnetic levitation) 120mm (or even 140mm, depending on the rad). Tubing is a whole other ball-game. My latest build includes rigid copper tubing, but for years I lived nicely with either Primochill LRT (1/2 ID, 3/4OD) or better yet EK ZMT flat black (1/2 ID, 3/4OD) rubber tubing (the latter = 'industrial' look and superb function). Then there is also rigid and clear acrylic or PETG tubing to choose from for less 'industrial and fancy, more RGB' shiny builds. For fluids, most folks will recommend Mayhem, and rightly so. I myself use a 50/50 mix of distilled water and Thermaltake Coolant 1000. Others my differ by my is to stay away from 'pastels', and or mix different coolants from different or even the same vendors.

Last edited by J7SC; 01-20-2020 at 03:52 PM.
post #7 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
I painted my display pic

Quote: Originally Posted by oreonutz View Post
Here. Since they are sold out of the 360 and 280, just get 2 Of the 240's. They are on Clearance so you can get 2 almost for the price of 1 Normally. I would jump on them before they are sold out. This will also give you even better flow rate since you will now have 2 SPC Pumps in the loop, which will help when you eventually put the GPU in the Loop. If you need links to everything else, let me know. This is going to cost you, probably after the Blocks, Fittings, QDC, Tubing, and Fluid, you will be looking at about $600US, maybe a little less. But you will be setup to go full open loop later, its super simple to do maintenance because you can disconnect via the QDC's without even one Drop spilling, with the Optimus Block on your CPU you will have excellent performance at low temps, you will be really happy withit and will be completely set up to expand later. Unfortunately once EK Sells out of these, until they come out with their next version, the existing options will be limited if you don't want to do full open loop right now. So I would Jump in while you can!

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-mlc-pho...or-core-module

Yeah I started doing some searches and doesn't seem it's possible to get the 360mm anywhere. My only issue with this option is mostly down to positioning, 2 of these means using up both the top and front of the case as exhaust, which guarantees a negative pressure. I guess that's fine, but just a bit annoying and ugly, in that you need to use up both spots where you should have 3 fans, with only 2.

Wouldn't having to combine both pumps into 1 be a fair bit more complicated, and also double the failure rate?

I'm a bit confused on the difference between full open loop and this setup, and why this option is safer/easier, or can't be replicated without this specific radiator.

Edit- a guy on ebay has it and would ship to Canada, but its a pretty big price, so not sure if worth it over the 2 rad option. +20$ to ship to Canada. Also the EKWB site doesn't have an add to cart option for the 240mm. Er, perhaps it will show up on the 24th, odd that it is being done this way. It's about 40USD to ship from EKWB.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/EK-MLC-Phoen...=true#shpCntId

Editv2-
I parted all the things you mentioned, 2*240mm rads, the waterblock, 1000ml of the coolant, some tubing(they only have EK Duraclear for clear tubes), 1 QDC(I'm guessing you only need 1, and that it's connecting the tubes to the cpu block) 4 fittings(assuming 4 due to 2 rads) Comes to 468USD including shipping. Saves a lot due to being able to pickup everything but the waterblock on EKWB site, so only 2 shipping charges. Amazon.ca seems to be worthless. Am I missing something? I think that's a decent price, but I guess the real question is, does this setup perform well enough to warrant it over an aio? And perform well enough to be worth it over going external pump?

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Gamdias 360mm AIO

Last edited by ryokoseigo; 01-20-2020 at 03:53 PM.
post #8 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 04:02 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I have the same case as you, but the XL version haha. I can get a picture later. My setup is similar to what you were looking for. Custom loop for just CPU with option to upgrade to support GPU. I went with the Bykski water block though. It's pretty big since it was designed to support TR4 too, and my temps seem to be decent enough to let me OC and bench. I never break 80c, but it is winter at my location. Ambient is around 20c. I run 1 360mm thin rad, and hardline tubings. I got 6 intake fans and 3 exhaust (where the rad is), and 1 rear exhaust. Intake is on the bottom and side of the case.

CPU
Ryzen 9 3950x
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
GPU
XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT THICC III Ultra
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z Neo
Hard Drive
SABRENT Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus PX-750
Cooling
Corsair Hydro X Series, XD5 RGB Pump/Reservoir Combo
Cooling
Corsair Hydro X Series XR5 360mm Water Cooling Radiator
Cooling
Bykski CPU-RYZEN-X-MK CPU Water Cooling Block
Case
Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional x64
Keyboard
ROCCAT Vulcan 120 AIMO
Mouse
ROCCAT Kone AIMO
Mousepad
Corsair MM800 RGB POLARIS
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
I painted my display pic

I looked at pricing for D5/res combo+bracket+360mm rad, and it's about 310$ Compared to the Phoenix*2 at 216$ (I'm still unclear of how you add water to the loop exactly in this setup, but under the assumption it doesn't need a res.)
So yeah I guess I just need to know the actual difference in personal handling between the two, and if paying for the D5 setup is the better value.

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Gamdias 360mm AIO
post #10 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 04:11 PM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 422 (Unique: 282)
I looked at pricing for D5/res combo+bracket+360mm rad, and it's about 310$ Compared to the Phoenix*2 at 216$ (I'm still unclear of how you add water to the loop exactly in this setup, but under the assumption it doesn't need a res.)
So yeah I guess I just need to know the actual difference in personal handling between the two, and if paying for the D5 setup is the better value.
There is a reason the Phoenix are discontinued and on clearance. Add in the fact that they don't have the proper size for your case..... And, yes, they are a major PITA to fill, bleed or expand.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in