Dual Radiator Setup for O11D XL - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Dual Radiator Setup for O11D XL

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 342 (Unique: 278)
Dual Radiator Setup for O11D XL

Currently I have an O11D XL with a watercooled 3950X and an OC'ed 2080 Ti. Cooling is handled by dual 360mm radiators driven by a D5 pump.

I have a 360x40 on the floor positioned as intake and a 360x27 on the roof set up as exhaust. The only system fans are the 6 ML120's mounted to the radiators. This is a very common sight in various O11 XL show builds I've looked at.

Generally cooling performance is good but I noticed the other night when playing a CPU/GPU demanding game, the temps would start to creep up over time. I also noticed the air coming out of the case was quite warm. I decided to take the remove the case side panel and noticed GPU temperature immediately reacted and started decreasing for a total drop of almost 10*C.

I'm confident that when the CPU/GPU thermal load is enough the top radiator is dramatically impacted by the warm exhausted air from the second radiator. I assume this is creating a very warm environment inside the case where motherboard VRMs and the chipset cooler still rely on cool air. Time for change.

I was hoping to stick to a 6-fan setup for this case because I'm not fond of the 'sea of fans' look of the 9-fan setups but if that's what's needed then so be it. I was thinking of going with both radiators set up as exhaust with 3-fans on the side serving as intake. I recognize this will create negative pressure and run slightly heated air through the radiators but I think it's better than running radiator exhaust through the inside of the case.

Anyone else faced this? Is there another option I should consider?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 03:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 12)
My PC-011 XL also has dual rads (two thick HWL 54mm instead). I use the 9 fan layout so the bottom and side mounted radiators with A12x25 acting as intake. I have three LianLi Bora Digital RGB fans cooling down the motherboard area (two intake/one exhaust). My temperature are very good.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 05:07 AM
New to Ryzen

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Radiators should be intake if at all possible to get the best temps. If you have good enough exhaust then your case will only be a few degrees above ambient as the heat will not have a chance to build up.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3800x
(18 items)
CPU
3800x
Motherboard
Asrock x570 Taichi
GPU
EVGA 980ti
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z Neo
Hard Drive
Western Digital BLACK SERIES
Hard Drive
Samsung 830 Series
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro Series
Hard Drive
Silicon Power M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Optical Drive
LG UH12NS29 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer
Power Supply
SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 750 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Cooling
EK EVO Copper CPU block
Cooling
EK Titan X Copper GPU block
Cooling
Alphacool NexXxos XT45 360 Radiator
Cooling
Alphacool NexXxos XT45 420 X-Flow Radiator
Cooling
Aquacomputer Aqualis 150mm
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Series Primo Aluminum ATX Full Tower Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
BenQ SW271 27.0" 3840x2160
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I've added 3 fans on the side as intake and then flipped the bottom fans around to act as intake. The idea being the system should get fresh ambient air from the outside which is then pushed out through the radiators on the top and bottom.

I considered the opposite arrangement: intakes top and bottom with exhaust on the side. This would create positive pressure and give the radiators the coolest air available BUT I think the increase in internal case temperature would be significant.

Using some very rough estimation from each component's TDP as a guide, at full-tilt I'm looking at 430-470W of heat output (3950X: 100-140W, OC 2080Ti: 330W). Sure the VRMs and chipset get warm on X570 but I don't think the byproduct is comparable to the combined radiator exhaust. During extended sessions, the metal of the case itself will begin to feel warm to the touch.

Hopefully this will pay dividends. I haven't gotten the loop back together yet but I'll be sure to report back my findings once I do.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 10:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 48 (Unique: 31)
Get a temp sensor for the water so you can tell if that’s the problem or not

My Baby
(23 items)
CPU
Delidded Direct Die I9 9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Apex
GPU
EVGA FTW3 Hydro Copper GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3600 F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Hard Drive
Asus Hyper M.2 card
Hard Drive
2 x Intel 660P 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
Optimus Signature V2
Cooling
2x Swiftech MCP35X2 with MCP35X2 Heat Sink w/ 2x NB-BlackSilent Pro's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 560GTX w/ 8x Arctic P14 PST PWM's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 480GTX w/ 16x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM
Cooling
Aquacomputer aqualis XT 450 ml with nano coating
Cooling
9x Noctua NF-S12A PWM
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS w/ 6 Arctic P12 PST PWM's
Case
Case Labs Magnum TH10A with Pedestal
Monitor
Asus PG278Q
Keyboard
Das Keyboard 5Q
Mouse
Swiftpoint Z
Audio
Light Harmonic Oscar XXI
Audio
Geek Pulse Inifnity DAC/AMP
Audio
Cavalii Audio Liquid Carbon HPA
Other
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 11:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by chas1723 View Post
Radiators should be intake if at all possible to get the best temps. If you have good enough exhaust then your case will only be a few degrees above ambient as the heat will not have a chance to build up.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Amen Brother! I listened to that advice and got noticeable cooling on my loop delta (3.5C to 4.5C) from that info.

Build: Z390 ACE
Core i9-9900K OC 5 GHz, MSI Z390 ACE Mobo, AMD Radeon VII GPU OC 2K MHz
Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 3200 RAM, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M SE.
EKWB Z390 ACE Monoblock, Bykski Radeon VII GPU w/b, 2x EKWB 140 Revo D5 Pump & Res.
Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 LT USB Fan-Controller, Quadro, Vision Touch and 'High Flow' Sensor.
(2x) HWL Black Ice Nemesis 280 GTS XFLOW and (1x) Alphacool XT45 X-Flow 280 radiators.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 12:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by MNiceGuy View Post
I've added 3 fans on the side as intake and then flipped the bottom fans around to act as intake. The idea being the system should get fresh ambient air from the outside which is then pushed out through the radiators on the top and bottom.

I considered the opposite arrangement: intakes top and bottom with exhaust on the side. This would create positive pressure and give the radiators the coolest air available BUT I think the increase in internal case temperature would be significant.

Using some very rough estimation from each component's TDP as a guide, at full-tilt I'm looking at 430-470W of heat output (3950X: 100-140W, OC 2080Ti: 330W). Sure the VRMs and chipset get warm on X570 but I don't think the byproduct is comparable to the combined radiator exhaust. During extended sessions, the metal of the case itself will begin to feel warm to the touch.

Hopefully this will pay dividends. I haven't gotten the loop back together yet but I'll be sure to report back my findings once I do.
Not sure how you have your case set up, But I was able to get a 120mm fan, epoxy three bar magnets to the sides of the fan, and position it over my empty PCIE slots (in exhaust onexterior of course). People always forget about those PCIE slots - take the covers offs and and you can move a crap-ton of air through there.

When used in conjunction with another rear exhaust you could probably exhaust at least 50% of your heat load from the bottom rad, thus boosting your ambient intake from the side fans to the top rad. Especially if you have a Vertically mounted GPU which would further direct air flow.
That sounds like a workable solution to me.

I have my case set up with a front intake 280 x 30 and a top intake 280 x 30. Exhaust fans are rear 140mm and a 120mm (over PCIE). I also use an external 280 x 45 radiator and fan setup. Games and benchmarks are all single digits now. Somebody said "Radiators love fresh air" and this a true statement for custom cooling.

Build: Z390 ACE
Core i9-9900K OC 5 GHz, MSI Z390 ACE Mobo, AMD Radeon VII GPU OC 2K MHz
Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 3200 RAM, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M SE.
EKWB Z390 ACE Monoblock, Bykski Radeon VII GPU w/b, 2x EKWB 140 Revo D5 Pump & Res.
Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 LT USB Fan-Controller, Quadro, Vision Touch and 'High Flow' Sensor.
(2x) HWL Black Ice Nemesis 280 GTS XFLOW and (1x) Alphacool XT45 X-Flow 280 radiators.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I FINALLY got my system back up and running with the new configuration. As a recap, this is with the 360mm radiators both top and bottom blowing outward (exhaust). There are three ML120 fans on the side acting as filtered intake. Fans were regulated to ~1000RPM as they were with the old configuration.

As before, I loaded up the system with Black Ops 4 (runs GPU 100% with high CPU utilization) and played for a while to make sure I gave the water a chance to reach equilibrium. Temperatures peaked at 52*C for a few moments during matches but stayed at 51*C the majority of the time. This is a 10*C reduction over having the bottom radiator as intake with the top acting as exhaust.

CPU temperature is basically the same across both versions of my loop.

While I did not measure ambient temp, I would expect it was mostly the same across both tests.

This is not a win-win for a few reasons:
1. 3 additional ML120 fans added expense to the build
2. The new setup results in a negative-pressure environment so air filtration has been compromised
3. I think these 9-fan builds look a little silly. Hopefully I can mitigate this some with the use of a radiator grill or similar

One last obvious question: Surely 61*C is not horrible for an overclocked 2080 Ti so was there a really a problem here?

Not at all but I have OCD with this kind of thing and it bothered me that I was essentially rendering an entire 360mm radiator impotent just because of how the fans were set up.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 01:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 12)
Depends on your waterblock and setup you are using for the GPU. If you are using Heatkiller/Aquacomputer you should be under 50 degrees. If you are using other brands 50-60 degrees is reasonable.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 10:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
my non overclocked 2080 ti reaches 45c at the highest. o11 dynamic xl case, 2 ekwb pe 360 radiators. 10 corsair ml fans. with a ekwb spc pump. i read d5 is better but its doing the job. the radiators are on the bottom and side intaking air, with the fans on top and rear exhausting. ekwb classic gpu block

i would overclock but monster hunter world crashes eventually when i do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in