DRAM Water Cooling Block Tips - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

DRAM Water Cooling Block Tips

post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 02:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 31 (Unique: 13)
My ram is G.Skill F4-4400C19D-16GTZSW and I had fun getting the heat spreaders off. Paid $500NZD for the pair so I was a bit nervous.
I used the heat gun but the glue didn't seem to take any notice with the G.Skill stuff. Used one of the spatula thingies for opening mobile phones to poke down and slowly scrape the glue from the heat spreader while prising apart with my thumb and forefinger. Got a fair bend on the PCB.
I have the EK Monarch setup with the blue silicone pads which seem ok. I didn't replace the foam from the back of the PCB but I kinda wish I did just in case the PCB transfers the cooling to the smaller components on the other side which don't touch the thermal pads. Used Grizzly on the front plate.
They hit about 35c during stress tests 4400 cl17 1.46v and have never gone above 40c even at 1.55v with a coolant temp of 30c
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200513_174346.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	346658  

Github Memory Overclocking Tutorial
GSAT in Windows 10 https://www.overclock.net/forum/1805...l#post28448038
Maximus XI Gene Overclocking Results Thread https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-in...k-results.html
CPU
9900ks
Motherboard
Asus Maximus XI Gene
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti Superclock 2 Black
RAM
F4-4400C19D-16GTZSW
Hard Drive
Samsung M.2 1TB 970 EVO Plus
Hard Drive
Samsung M.2 1TB 970 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200i
Cooling
EK 140D5 Pump, waterblocked CPU, Ram, GPU with 1 x 360mm and 1 x 420mm Radiators and Vardar Furious Fans
Case
ThermalTake V51
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus PG349Q 34.1 inches 3440 x 1440 pixels @ 120 Hz
Keyboard
Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
Mouse
Logitech Gaming Pro Wireless
Mousepad
1000x500x3
Audio
Steelseries Siberia800 wireless Headset
CPU
8700k @ 5.2ghZ
Motherboard
Maximus X Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080 Ti Superclock 2 Black
RAM
32GB 1xF4-4400C19D-16GTZSW & 1xF4-4400C19D-16GTZKK
Hard Drive
Samsung M.2 1TB 970 EVO Plus
Hard Drive
Samsung M.2 1TB 970 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200i
Cooling
EK 140D5 Pump, waterblocked CPU, Ram, GPU with 1 x 360mm and 1 x 420mm Radiators and Vardar Furious Fans
Case
ThermalTake V51
Operating System
Windows 10 Lite
Monitor
Asus PG349Q 34.1 inches 3440 x 1440 pixels @ 120 Hz
Keyboard
Corsair K95 RGB Platinum
Mouse
Asus Spatha Wireless Gaming
Mouse
Ligitech G602 wireless
Mousepad
1000mm x 500mm
Audio
Steelseries Siberia800 wireless Headset
CPU
i7-4770k
Motherboard
Asus Maximus VII Ranger
GPU
Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX980
RAM
G.SKILL Trident X 16GB 2 x 8GB 2400 Memory F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Optical Drive
LG DVD Rom
Power Supply
PSU Coolermaster V1000W
Cooling
Custom Loop
Case
Case Thermaltake V51 Full Window
Operating System
Windows 7
Monitor
Shimian 2650x1440
Keyboard
Thermaltake Poseidon Z
Mouse
Logitech G602
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 02:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 44 (Unique: 37)
Only reason I got my RAM kit I had enough of placing a fan over my dimm's. It was such a eyesore and hassle to have. It didn't produce the heat exchange I wanted either.

Allowed me to with ease push 1.700Volts now. With fan maybe 1.530V was the limit, without fan I needed to stick around 1.490V. My kits don't have internal temperature sensors but I do have a possibility to mount a external one from the motherboard if I feel like it. Haven't gone through the trouble yet. Would need my fan control hub for the extra sensor attachments.

Sadly voltage isn't Rev.E forte. It only helps you try lower tCL settings, most other timings don't need voltage to do their best.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0053.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	3.22 MB
ID:	346662  

Gigabyte X570 AORUS XTREME, Ryzen 7 3800X PBO boost, 3800/1900 MEM/FCLK, 13.23.17.30.66.tRFC 600 1T 1.700V
4x8Gb Kingston HX434C19FB2K2/16 3466C19 1.2V (Micron Rev.E 16nm [D9VPP])
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 01:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by oreonutz View Post
Nice Build! She's changed since this picture then I take it?
Yeah... I can't leave well enough alone. Here's a candid shot of what it looks like atm. I'm waiting on some more bits and pieces, but this is pretty much the hardware layout.
As much as I liked the inverted layout of the dark base 700 (always been a fan - the V1000 in the background is for wife/kids), the thermals really sucked.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4202.png
Views:	27
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	346774  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
Tech Enthusiast

Rep: 91 (Unique: 63)
Quote: Originally Posted by munternet View Post
My ram is G.Skill F4-4400C19D-16GTZSW and I had fun getting the heat spreaders off. Paid $500NZD for the pair so I was a bit nervous.
I used the heat gun but the glue didn't seem to take any notice with the G.Skill stuff. Used one of the spatula thingies for opening mobile phones to poke down and slowly scrape the glue from the heat spreader while prising apart with my thumb and forefinger. Got a fair bend on the PCB.
I have the EK Monarch setup with the blue silicone pads which seem ok. I didn't replace the foam from the back of the PCB but I kinda wish I did just in case the PCB transfers the cooling to the smaller components on the other side which don't touch the thermal pads. Used Grizzly on the front plate.
They hit about 35c during stress tests 4400 cl17 1.46v and have never gone above 40c even at 1.55v with a coolant temp of 30c
So Awesome! I love that UV Glow! I am still yet to add any UV Lighting to any of my rigs. Back when it was popular, so many of them looked so tacky that I never went near it. Now n Days, I see it done right all the time, like in this photo, but I have yet done the research to find good UV Lighting Kits, I definitely want to try it myself one of these days, that UV Green looks so bad ass!

Quote: Originally Posted by Nighthog View Post
Only reason I got my RAM kit I had enough of placing a fan over my dimm's. It was such a eyesore and hassle to have. It didn't produce the heat exchange I wanted either.

Allowed me to with ease push 1.700Volts now. With fan maybe 1.530V was the limit, without fan I needed to stick around 1.490V. My kits don't have internal temperature sensors but I do have a possibility to mount a external one from the motherboard if I feel like it. Haven't gone through the trouble yet. Would need my fan control hub for the extra sensor attachments.

Sadly voltage isn't Rev.E forte. It only helps you try lower tCL settings, most other timings don't need voltage to do their best.
Yup, same reason why I got my Kit. My B-Die 3200Mhz CL14 Kit gets Toasty when pushing her to 3800Mhz CL16 @ 1.48v. So much so that if I don't keep active cooling with a Fan on them, then when under a heavy Ram Load, she will climb to 50c and Errors Start Popping up instantly. As Long as I can keep the Ram Die Temp to 45c and below, its stable and error free all day. And while I do have side Mounted fans that work great for this purpose, I don't like the noise it produces when they have to crank the speed up to 1600RPM to keep them cool. Hence Why I got the Kit. I also just recently purchased a Crosshair VIII hero, and an Aquaero 6 XT To replace the LT, and I am also going to run my Tubing out of the Back of the case through a PCIE Bracket Passthrough, instead of Out of the Front Through an Open 5.25" Bay. I honestly don't mind the look to bad, it makes me laugh seeing Tubing running out to front of my case and up to the Pump/Rad Station I set up on a Shelf, but the Cable Management that went along with it is pretty abysmal so I figured I would make an attempt to fix it all when I install the Ram Blocks and Mobo probably next weekend. Always fun to have a quarantine project!

Quote: Originally Posted by Mxj1 View Post
Yeah... I can't leave well enough alone. Here's a candid shot of what it looks like atm. I'm waiting on some more bits and pieces, but this is pretty much the hardware layout.
As much as I liked the inverted layout of the dark base 700 (always been a fan - the V1000 in the background is for wife/kids), the thermals really sucked.
So awesome man! Beautiful build! Glad to see there is a community out there who finds usefulness in watercooling their Ram Sticks still. Everyone says, "It isn't DDR2 anymore, there is no reason to cool your DIMM's", to which I reply, "Your the DIMM Dip S**T!" LOL. No but seriously, there are many of reasons to want to cool your sticks, whether its pushing a further Ram OC, or if its just because you damn well feel like it, so I am glad to join those ranks here in the next week or 2. I will definitely post here about my experience when I finally take the Journey.

-MattTheTech

Offical Ryzen 9 3900x Owner!
Offical Ryzen 9 3950x Owner!
DodekaZen3000
(34 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3950x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200Mhz (PC4 25600) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX (x2 Kits)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850/860 Evo (x3 Raid 0 Game Drive)
Hard Drive
WD Black 4TB (x2 Raid 0 Storage Drive)
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray Burner (Model BH16NS40)
Optical Drive
5.25" to One 3.5" and One 2.25" Bay (Model Syba SY-MRA55006)
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
EKWB Phoenix 360mm Modular Cooler
Cooling
280mm Alphacool UT60
Cooling
280mm EKWB Coolstream CE
Cooling
Optimus Foundation AM4 CPU Block
Cooling
x2 Corsair Pump/Res Combo
Cooling
EKWB Acrylic 1080ti FTW Block
Cooling
Aquaero 6xt
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Samsung NU8000 55Inch TV (Its a 4k TV But I run in it 1440p 120hz)
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Custom Built 7.1 Surround System
Audio
HT-Omega eClaro 7.1 Sound Card
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
10 ML120 + 6 ML140 Corsair Maglev Fans
Other
Phanteks Halo aRGB LUX x5
▲ hide details ▲
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 02:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by oreonutz View Post
So awesome man! Beautiful build! Glad to see there is a community out there who finds usefulness in watercooling their Ram Sticks still. Everyone says, "It isn't DDR2 anymore, there is no reason to cool your DIMM's", to which I reply, "Your the DIMM Dip S**T!" LOL. No but seriously, there are many of reasons to want to cool your sticks, whether its pushing a further Ram OC, or if its just because you damn well feel like it, so I am glad to join those ranks here in the next week or 2. I will definitely post here about my experience when I finally take the Journey.
Its more or less a hobby for me... and I've got an awesome wife that doesn't mind.

I pretty much fit in the 'because I can' category when it comes to the ram block. I received a defective Bykski rad from FormulaMod and had a credit with them that was ~$10 less than the ram block. I told them just to drop that ram block in my next order and I'd be happy - they obliged (side note: they've got some of the best customer service that I've ever dealt with...). I've got a few things in my current build that the general watercooling public thinks are ridiculous, but I've found quite a bit of enjoyment in tinkering and realizing some of the general claims are completely unfounded.

My most recent was a reddit debate with the 'one D5 pump is enough for any system' crowd. Of course one D5 is not always enough. lol

What are you using to monitor your ram temps with?

As a side note, I realized several weeks ago that a drug addiction would probably be cheaper than this hobby.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
Tech Enthusiast

Its more or less a hobby for me... and I've got an awesome wife that doesn't mind.

I pretty much fit in the 'because I can' category when it comes to the ram block. I received a defective Bykski rad from FormulaMod and had a credit with them that was ~$10 less than the ram block. I told them just to drop that ram block in my next order and I'd be happy - they obliged (side note: they've got some of the best customer service that I've ever dealt with...). I've got a few things in my current build that the general watercooling public thinks are ridiculous, but I've found quite a bit of enjoyment in tinkering and realizing some of the general claims are completely unfounded.

My most recent was a reddit debate with the 'one D5 pump is enough for any system' crowd. Of course one D5 is not always enough. lol

What are you using to monitor your ram temps with?

As a side note, I realized several weeks ago that a drug addiction would probably be cheaper than this hobby.
LOL! I had that same realization. I am spending way too much money on this hobby. But I can't help it. I love tinkering. Its what I do for a living, and sometimes those jobs can be a pain because some clients are just d**ks, but when I can do it on my own time, and just relax and play, I love it! Also, I used to, back in the 'just out of college' days, be a legit drug addict. OxyContin. It was bad. And probably because I sold drugs to fund my habit, this is definitely legitimately more expensive. But when you can afford it, and you aren't spending mortgage money or bill money on it, then I don't consider it near as dangerous. That would after all be stupid, what good is a dozen sick Rigs, if you have no home to put them in, or no electricity to power them with? LOL! Also you are lucky to have a wife who understands. My Ex-Fiance definitely did not. And for a good minute she got me to stop playing with my computers so much, and tried to do things together. But ultimately, she just wasn't for me, so we split a little over 2 years now. For the first time since being clean (2009, so 11 years now) I am single and am not dating, and although it sucks to be without a partner to keep you company, I am actually finding it quite liberating. Still, you are a lucky man, I envy you!

On the One Pump is enough note. Yeah, I mean you could probably get by w/ one One D5 in a normal loop without much restriction. But you definitely get better head pressure, a higher flow rate, and best of all peace of mind with redundancy with the 2nd. Personally for any production Rig that needs to be in service 24/7, there are 2 things I would never go without in my Loop. Well 3 Really.

1) 2 D5 Pumps (I actually will mix a D5 with a DDC when Noise isn't an issue which actually gives me awesome results, despite the general belief that this is bad and will make one burn out sooner. I only have experience with this in 3 builds so far, the longest going for almost 2 years now, but still have yet to have an issue).

2) QDC's so that I can quickly and easily pull parts out as necessary without draining the loop.

3) An Aquaero for having a reliable device to plug my sensors, fans, pumps, flow meters, and alarms, and relays to. It makes Automatic shut off in the event of something going wrong super simple, as well as having a second way to remotely turn on a rig when WoL isn't working correctly. There are of course more needs, but those are the 3 that all my builds share, even on builds that look like they are only sporting one pump, there is always a second one hidden in the basement just after the 1st in the loop, especially because I use so many QDC's, I have a lot of restriction to overcome.

Anyways, all that is to say, I 100 Percent agree!

-MattTheTech

DodekaZen3000
(34 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3950x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3200Mhz (PC4 25600) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX (x2 Kits)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
Cooling
280mm Alphacool UT60
Cooling
280mm EKWB Coolstream CE
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Aquaero 6xt
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Audio
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
Other
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by oreonutz; 05-16-2020 at 02:56 PM.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 04:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Well, I suppose in going to try my hand at this again.

I really wasn't happy with the aesthetics of the barrowch block I had, which is a big reason why I took it off.

I was browsing the webs last night and found the alphacool x4 on sale, so I ordered it... I mean, it was on sale.

I'll report back when it's installed.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
Tech Enthusiast

Well, I suppose in going to try my hand at this again.

I really wasn't happy with the aesthetics of the barrowch block I had, which is a big reason why I took it off.

I was browsing the webs last night and found the alphacool x4 on sale, so I ordered it... I mean, it was on sale.

I'll report back when it's installed.
Sweet! I have the bitspower one, I was so close to getting the Alphacool myself.

I am doing a whole rework with my PC. Going to Install my New Crosshair VIII Hero Mobo, to replace my Crosshair VII Hero, going to install the New Waterblock, I have a new DDC Pump I am adding to my Dual D5 Pump Setup. My DDC is going inside the Case, So that when I need to I can disconnect the external Cooling Station, and run soley off my 360 Rad and DDC Inside the Case.

Then I will be redoing my External Cooling Station. I actually could use some ideas on what to buy for this.

Right now, I have 2 280 Rads that are up on a shelf behind my TV, that I route Tubing out of my case and up to, and one of the Rads have 2 Corsair D5's Mounted to it. Right now (as the Pictures will show below, and yes I know it looks hideous and I have the best cable management in the world, but I needed more cooling and this was the easiest way for me to do it at the time, and it worked well which was all I cared about then) the tubing just runs out of 5.25" Slot that I pulled the Cover off of on my ancient Case from 2012.

So I bought a PCIe Pass Through Bracket, that has an in and out port, that I will be installing, that will allow me to Route the tubing out of the back of the case, and I am setting of a New Cooling Station on an End Table that will be placed to the Right of My PC.

I will now have 1 560 Rad (140x4), 2 280 Rads, and 2 360 Rads. I would like to find a structure to Mount all the Rads to, and am wondering if anyone is familiar with anything on the market that is a frame that you can just mount Rads to, so I can have them all Mounted right side up. I think it will look really nice if done Properly, and the cooling will be insane, I have all these extra Rads, so I figured I would put them into good use.

Anyways, I have everything needed for this project accept for the frame, and a few boxes of fans that are yet to arrive, I am hoping to do this all next weekend, and I am hoping that it will leave my room much more presentable again. Here is what the PC Looks like now.
Spoiler!

-MattTheTech

DodekaZen3000
(34 items)
CPU
Ryzen 9 3950x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Hybrid
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
860 Evo
Optical Drive
Optical Drive
Power Supply
Corsair RM1000i
Cooling
Cooling
280mm Alphacool UT60
Cooling
280mm EKWB Coolstream CE
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Aquaero 6xt
Case
Old Jonesbo Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
Monitor
LG 1080p 34 Inch Diplay
Keyboard
Corsair k70 RGB Lux Mk2
Mouse
Logitech G700s
Mousepad
Razer Vespula V2
Audio
Audio
Audio
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Other
Aquantia 10Gb NIC
Other
LSI 9211-8i
Other
Oculus Rift HMD
Other
Other
▲ hide details ▲
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 06:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 44 (Unique: 37)
I have a PCIE pass through bracket. Bought it for my earlier setup before I got my In Win 303 case as I had my 360 radiator on the table or on the back mounted on a single 120mm fan exhaust.

It's useful but make sure you have it tight and not any gaps when you mount it. It's easy to have them not "flush" and you will get water everywhere. They might not fit all PCI ports, depends on the case cut-outs and other obstructions around there. It only fit at the bottom slot in my older case.
Case compatibility thing needs to be considered. Might not work in the position you want to use it in.

Gigabyte X570 AORUS XTREME, Ryzen 7 3800X PBO boost, 3800/1900 MEM/FCLK, 13.23.17.30.66.tRFC 600 1T 1.700V
4x8Gb Kingston HX434C19FB2K2/16 3466C19 1.2V (Micron Rev.E 16nm [D9VPP])
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-24-2020, 08:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

I've actually tried to keep all of my cooling internal. My office is in my basement and my ceilings are the exposed floor joists from the main floor... Kind of an industrial approach, but as a result, it can get quite dusty (my house was built in 1969).

I do really like your idea of being able to unplug so to speak, your external cooling.

With that being said, if I was going to go external, the only thing that I've seen that I actually like is the Mora setup. I haven't given much thought to them, but I understand they can be quite hard to come by ATM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in