Overclock.net banner

Storing water cooled machine.

668 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Astral85 
#1 ·
If I am to store my water cooled machine for possibly 2-3 months what would be the best practice to follow? I would prefer to drain the system as that eliminates the issue of a potential leak that cannot be attended to. On the other hand I am fairly confident that my loop is well sealed. Instead of flushing the loop with distilled water after draining I'm thinking it might be better to just leave any trapped liquid with the bio inhibitors in the system to prevent any mold buildup. Does this sound like a safe bet or am I better to try and drain and completely dry everything (PITA)?...

#3 ·
If it was originally properly cleaned and assembled, there shouldn't be any issues at all with just storing it, even for a lot longer than a few months.

Again a properly built and tested loop should not be at any risk of developing a spontaneous leak, especially when not in use. Even if it did it wouldn't be able to do much to a system that's been powered off. Inspect it before you use it again and if you find any evidence of a leak, clean anything that could have been leaked on.

#4 ·
Are there any negatives to storing it drained should I decide that way? I agree it's pretty unlikely a leak would occur large enough to dump the whole systems liquid everywhere but I just wonder if there would be more peace of mind having it empty...

#5 ·
If you store it drained there will be airspace for biological crap to grow. I say leave it full. You can put some toilet paper under the joints to check for evidence of leaks when you get back.

#9 ·
Sorry missed this. OK that sounds like good advice. Thanks.

#6 ·
Hi,
What type of fluid are you using ?
Same distilled water and inhibitor and biocide ?

If so just test ph level and if all is well "between 7 & 8" it should not matter if stored out of sunlight and cool place.

If you drain you'd have to remove all moisture which is pretty tough to do without disassembly.

#7 ·
He is correct. Test the PH, make sure you have Bio and Corrosion inhibitor in loop and then storing it wet in a cool dark place (not cold).
You will probably see a small amount of fluid loss over 2 months but nothing to worry about.

Before running it, let it sit 24 to 48 hours in your normal PC space to acclimate.
You don't want any condensate forming if the loop is too cool and you move it into a warmer, moister environment when you return.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.