Problems with custom loop temperatures in Lian Li O11 Dynamic - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Problems with custom loop temperatures in Lian Li O11 Dynamic

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I didn't have much time before going to sleep yesterday but it seems my first settings in Quadro were a bit too conservative. Running the OCCT Power got the water temps up to almost 39C and it was still slowly rising after about 20 minutes. When I turned pumps and fans to 100% water temperature went down to about 36C in a few minutes and was still dropping. Ambient was around 22-23C.

I stopped the test and bled the system as it seemed there was a bit of air left. I have a ball fitting at the out port of side rad and there is an end port plug on the top rad. Unscrewed the plugs and bled till water started flowing out of them. Looking at the res the water level dropped by about 1cm. I'm not 100% sure it's completely out of air but there shouldn't be much left.

As for the pump output, the Barrow SLF-V3 flow meter shows 520-540RPM at 100% power. In product description it says 86 impulses per liter which if I'm right means I divide the RPM by 86 to get liters/minute. It would mean the dual pump setup outputs 350-370l/h which I think is pretty great. Considering these pumps are about 15$ each they're more than enough for me.

Regarding improving flow by changing the fittings from 90 degrees I don't think I can change them without making the loop look significantly worse. I have a 90 degree going out from pump 1 to GPU block and there's a 90 degree on inlet to pump 2. I'll think about it but my current flow is ok I think?

Last edited by Bachu; 02-07-2020 at 01:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 04:12 AM
News Fiend

When you talk delta I assume you are referring to air intake temp versus water temp. 13 degrees isn't completely terrible.

From my experience creating ducts for the side rad directly to the grill in the o11d does nothing but increase restriction a bit. Side rad in in, top rad in, bottom exhaust and side rad in, top rad exhaust, bottom in are result in virtually the same temperatures with the former favoring water temp and the latter favoring case temp. Both rads exhaust or all 3 in the same direction is bad juju.

Yes the lian li grills are more restrictive than they need to be. I run my 9 SW3 fans 800-1000rpm most of the time with a full gpu load.

The filters are even worse and should be thrown straight in the bin. Embrace the data vac instead.

Normally I would agree you don't need 2 pumps but redundancy is recommended for cheaper pumps.

The pictures turned out funny because the forum uses their true orientation rather than reading the metadata.

Meh '12
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX Fury X
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 F4-3200C14D-16GTZSW
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro-Series
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Enterprise NAS SATA (ST4000VN0001)
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive WD1003FZEX
Power Supply
SEASONIC PLATINUM-860 860W RT
Cooling
Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS Radiator x2
Cooling
Monsoon MMRS Reservoir + D5 pump + mountings
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal
Cooling
EKWB Fury X
Cooling
Monsoon Free Center 1/2ID 3/4OD fittings + Rotaries + plug + Temp probe
Cooling
BeQuiet SilentWings 3 High Speed PWM x 9
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 27" IPS 27UK650
Keyboard
Massdrop CTRL
Mouse
Logitech g403
Mousepad
HAYATE KOU FX SOFT NINJA Black L
Audio
Blue Yeti Black
Audio
Massdrop x AKG K7XX
Other
LIAN LI O11D-1X ,Riser Cable and cover bracket for PC-O11D
CPU
i5 3570k
Motherboard
Z77x-UD5H
GPU
Zotac 670 GTX AMP!
RAM
G.Skill f3-2400c10D-16gtx
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
Optical Drive
Some old thing
Power Supply
Seasonic platinum 860w
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Customized Thermaltake Armor
Operating System
Win 10 pro
Monitor
Dell U2413
Keyboard
Ducky Shine
Mouse
Logi G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ryan92084 View Post
When you talk delta I assume you are referring to air intake temp versus water temp. 13 degrees isn't completely terrible.
I'm talking air temperature in the case after PC startup which should be fairly close to room ambient temp. It's a fairly big room so it shouldn't really heat up during the test. That's indeed vs water temp at 2nd radiator outlet, just before reservoir.

I just ran the OCCT Power test for 25 minutes. The delta T was around 10C at the end of the test. Pumps at 80% and fans at 100% (1800 RPM). Dust filters over radiator intakes. The water temp was still very slowly rising at the end of the test. We're talking 32C to 33C in 5 minutes. I'm guessing air recirculation from case?

Component temperatures were at 63C for CPU and 49C for GPU at the end of the test. Does this all sound about normal? I know that both Ryzen 7 and R9 290X are rather high power parts so we're talking around 400W of heat at least. Heck, if the OCCT test is like Furmark (and it looks like it) Techpowerup review says 300W for the GPU alone.

From my experience creating ducts for the side rad directly to the grill in the o11d does nothing but increase restriction a bit. Side rad in in, top rad in, bottom exhaust and side rad in, top rad exhaust, bottom in are result in virtually the same temperatures with the former favoring water temp and the latter favoring case temp. Both rads exhaust or all 3 in the same direction is bad juju.

Yes the lian li grills are more restrictive than they need to be. I run my 9 SW3 fans 800-1000rpm most of the time with a full gpu load.

The filters are even worse and should be thrown straight in the bin. Embrace the data vac instead.

Normally I would agree you don't need 2 pumps but redundancy is recommended for cheaper pumps.

The pictures turned out funny because the forum uses their true orientation rather than reading the metadata.
Thanks for the info. I tried searching for the data vac filters but couldn't find anything PC related. Any links?

I figured it would be nice to have the added performance of the 2nd pump and have the system still running if one were to fail rather than drain the system to change the pump.

I'm starting to think maybe I should leave just the top rad, invest in some of the massive external radiators for true peace of mind and total silence.

Last edited by Bachu; 02-07-2020 at 05:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 06:53 PM
News Fiend

data vac isn't a filter its a dust blower. I don't have experience with them but demcifilters are allegedly the best around if you must have filters.

Meh '12
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard
ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
XFX Fury X
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 F4-3200C14D-16GTZSW
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro-Series
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Enterprise NAS SATA (ST4000VN0001)
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive WD1003FZEX
Power Supply
SEASONIC PLATINUM-860 860W RT
Cooling
Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS Radiator x2
Cooling
Monsoon MMRS Reservoir + D5 pump + mountings
Cooling
XSPC Raystorm Neo Metal
Cooling
EKWB Fury X
Cooling
Monsoon Free Center 1/2ID 3/4OD fittings + Rotaries + plug + Temp probe
Cooling
BeQuiet SilentWings 3 High Speed PWM x 9
Case
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 27" IPS 27UK650
Keyboard
Massdrop CTRL
Mouse
Logitech g403
Mousepad
HAYATE KOU FX SOFT NINJA Black L
Audio
Blue Yeti Black
Audio
Massdrop x AKG K7XX
Other
LIAN LI O11D-1X ,Riser Cable and cover bracket for PC-O11D
CPU
i5 3570k
Motherboard
Z77x-UD5H
GPU
Zotac 670 GTX AMP!
RAM
G.Skill f3-2400c10D-16gtx
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
Optical Drive
Some old thing
Power Supply
Seasonic platinum 860w
Cooling
Custom water
Case
Customized Thermaltake Armor
Operating System
Win 10 pro
Monitor
Dell U2413
Keyboard
Ducky Shine
Mouse
Logi G502
▲ hide details ▲

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 10:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
You have two radiators on intake and one on exhaust. The intake rads are going to dump a bunch of BTU's into your case, and then you need to use that hot case air to cool your loop on the exhaust radiator..
This would explain why you radiator was making the whole loop warmer. It was.

Your loop order should be:
RES -> PUMP -> GPU BLOCK -> CPU BLOCK -> PUMP -> TOP EXHAUST RAD -> SIDE INTAKE RAD -> BOTTOM INTAKE RADIATOR -> RES

You want your exhaust rad to handle your hottest water first (i.e after your blocks) which should still be warmer than your case air, allowing some heat heat to be removed.
Then the loop removes the remainder of the heat using two intake radiators pulling in significantly cooler air.

When you run an exhaust rad it could always have the potential to add heat to your loop until you achieve equilibrium.
The only way to combat this is to add more fresh air. Turn your rear fan into an air intake and at least half your exhaust rad will get some cooler air. Plus it helps coll your VRM's.

Build: Z390 ACE
Core i9-9900K OC 5 GHz, MSI Z390 ACE Mobo, AMD Radeon VII GPU OC 2K MHz
Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 3200 RAM, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M SE.
EKWB Z390 ACE Monoblock, Bykski Radeon VII GPU w/b, 2x EKWB 140 Revo D5 Pump & Res.
Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 LT USB Fan-Controller, Quadro, Vision Touch and 'High Flow' Sensor.
(2x) HWL Black Ice Nemesis 280 GTS XFLOW and (1x) Alphacool XT45 X-Flow 280 radiators.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 10:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

I'm running the O-11 XL with 3 360mm Radiators.
Bottom and side are intake and top is exhaust.
Single D5 pump set to 100% output with an Aquaero 6xt produces 250 l/hr(Aquero High Flow USB)
Loop order is
Res>pump>Bottom Radiator>GPU>CPU>Top Radiator>Side Radiator>Res.
Hottest Radiator in my loop should be the top which I have set as Exhaust.

This combo My water temp never goes over 30c, I have a total of 3 temp sensors in the water and 3 more sensor that measure Ambient and Intake and Exhaust Airstream Temps.
System has a 2080ti in it and on a Bios that I can run 400w it will top out around 42-43c, I can keep the 2080ti under 40c just by running the card around 250watt.

This is all on 23c Ambient with water temp At idle of 24.5-25c and maxxing out at 30c
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 10:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 26)
I would say go with a good quality pump like ddc or d5 and avoid 90 degree bends right off the pump outlet like others have said
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

data vac isn't a filter its a dust blower. I don't have experience with them but demcifilters are allegedly the best around if you must have filters.
Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Moose-Tech
You have two radiators on intake and one on exhaust. The intake rads are going to dump a bunch of BTU's into your case, and then you need to use that hot case air to cool your loop on the exhaust radiator..
This would explain why you radiator was making the whole loop warmer. It was.

Your loop order should be:
RES -> PUMP -> GPU BLOCK -> CPU BLOCK -> PUMP -> TOP EXHAUST RAD -> SIDE INTAKE RAD -> BOTTOM INTAKE RADIATOR -> RES

You want your exhaust rad to handle your hottest water first (i.e after your blocks) which should still be warmer than your case air, allowing some heat heat to be removed.
Then the loop removes the remainder of the heat using two intake radiators pulling in significantly cooler air.

When you run an exhaust rad it could always have the potential to add heat to your loop until you achieve equilibrium.
The only way to combat this is to add more fresh air. Turn your rear fan into an air intake and at least half your exhaust rad will get some cooler air. Plus it helps coll your VRM's.
I now have only 2 rads in the loop. When I had 3, the exhaust rad was the "hot" one, just after the GPU and CPU block. There is no rear fan on the Lian Li O11 Dynamic. There's pretty much no way to add any more fans than 9 total.

Quote: Originally Posted by sultanofswing
I'm running the O-11 XL with 3 360mm Radiators.
Bottom and side are intake and top is exhaust.
Single D5 pump set to 100% output with an Aquaero 6xt produces 250 l/hr(Aquero High Flow USB)
Loop order is
Res>pump>Bottom Radiator>GPU>CPU>Top Radiator>Side Radiator>Res.
Hottest Radiator in my loop should be the top which I have set as Exhaust.

This combo My water temp never goes over 30c, I have a total of 3 temp sensors in the water and 3 more sensor that measure Ambient and Intake and Exhaust Airstream Temps.
System has a 2080ti in it and on a Bios that I can run 400w it will top out around 42-43c, I can keep the 2080ti under 40c just by running the card around 250watt.

This is all on 23c Ambient with water temp At idle of 24.5-25c and maxxing out at 30c
I might have given up on the 3 rad setup too quickly as looking back at it, I didn't check the max temps with fans at 100%. Well, tbh I don't see the difference would be more than 2-3C in the end. The water temp at first intake rad outlet was 2C hotter than the air near the top rad during my half-assed testing. Which would mean the air temperature coming off the intake fans was the limiting factor for the entire loop. It most likely would have been better if the system ran under moderate load or at 100% fans as that would keep the "intake" air for the top rad cooler. Still, the exhaust radiator has actually rather pathetic heat capacity in this situation and I'd say it's not worth the trouble.

In my case part of the issue with the original setup was also how I installed the pumps. One was glued onto the case with double-sided tape (vibration noise) and the 2nd was touching a metal lip in the back compartment which also resonated. That combined with unsatifsactory temperatures caused me to tear it all down.

Now, with just 2 intake rads my water temps are just below the case air temperatures. Right now I'm idling at 24,7C case air around exhaust fans in the bottom and 24,3C water. With moderate gaming load I get to roughly 30C water temps with fans spinning at ~800RPM at radiator intakes and 900-1000RPM at bottom fan exhaust.

Either way, it looks like the common opinion that air exhausted from a radiator is only a few degrees hotter than intake is completely wrong. What I've seen so far is much more heat saturation, even with fans at 1800RPM.

As for pump speed, I tentatively recommend these Aliexpress pumps. No idea how long they will live but at I'm running them at 39% idle and 50% at load and they provide between 170l/h at idle to 250l/h at load. 250l/h translates to roughly 1,1GPM. That's assuming the Barrow flow meter is accurate in it's readings.

Quote: Originally Posted by SDhydro
I would say go with a good quality pump like ddc or d5 and avoid 90 degree bends right off the pump outlet like others have said
As I said above, the pumps, even with some 90 degree bends provide enough flow, or so it would seem. There definitely hasn't been an improvement going higher than 50% output. Heck, when I backed down from 80% output during max load testing I think I actually saw temperatures drop a little at 50%. Need to check this properly later. Considering the reported flow at 80% was at ~350l/h which is 1,5GPM it might have been too much to transfer heat properly + the added heat dump from the pumps themselves (and they did feel hotter than the water tubes).

After a lot of elaboration on potential ways to improve the cooling further I figured adding an external radiator would be unnecesarily expensive and troublesome for an extreme case scenario (max CPU and GPU load). I figure if I'll ever actually need the extra capacity I'll keep the slim 360mm rad I have and swap the case for a Lian Li O11 Air which would allow for 3 intake rads and 3 fans exhaust in front. The cost difference would be only about 50-70$ and I'd get a full 360mm of extra heat capacity which should be enough for any single CPU+GPU combo. It's a shame it's an uglier case than the standard Dynamic.

Last edited by Bachu; 02-10-2020 at 02:17 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in