Hi, I'd like recommendations for the best 280mm AIO CLC money can buy - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Hi, I'd like recommendations for the best 280mm AIO CLC money can buy

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hi, I'd like recommendations for the best 280mm AIO CLC money can buy

In a nutshell, I'm in a situation where my Noctua NH-D15 just... isn't enough. My case isn't very large (low air flow pressure), which means that temperatures across the board that typically should be low are much higher than they should be.

Sadly, I've been experiencing instability that leads to BSODs while gaming, so I need to pull down the temperatures hard. I don't know how to make a custom loop (nor am I really willing to take the risk to learn it), so I'd just like to know what the best 280mm AIO is available out there for me to buy.

I'm fully prepared to buy it AND swap out both fans for Arctic P12's to further boost cooling performance. I really want to shave 10-20C (or more) off of these dreaded temperatures that hit 80-90 C during gaming. (For reference, I use an i7-8086k @ 5 GHz). (Side note: I can't do 360mm, because my case doesn't have space for a triple.)

Thank you all so very much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 04:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
arctic cooler freezer II
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 06:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 102 (Unique: 89)
Eisbaer Extreme 280. Or the new NZXT Z72.

Cars:
-Crashed: (not my fault ) '94 Nissan 100NX GA16DE (a.k.a. NX1600). Renault Laguna Phase I facelift '99 1.6 K4M. (Broke a strut and smacked a tree).
-Sold: '00 Nissan Primera P11-144 QG18DE, '97 Honda Prelude F20A4, 03 Ignis Sport.
-Current daily: '07 Ford Focus 1.6 Futura.
-Current funcars: '03 Peugeot 206CC 2.0 RFN fully riced and tuned (Turbo coming soon)
Full-On Rainbowbarf
(16 items)
P45 power!
(9 items)
CPU
i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz 1.248v
Motherboard
MSI MEG Z390 ACE
GPU
MSI Armor GTX1080 Ti w/ Accelero IV @ 2063/6500Mhz
RAM
Corsair Vengeance RGB B-Die @ 4200 16-17-17-28-280-2T 1.54v
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB x2
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Cooling
EK MLC-Phoenix 280 Kit
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro X64
Monitor
Samsung S27B350H @ 1080p 75Hz OC
Monitor
Iiyama GB2788HS @ 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G710+
Mouse
Trust GXT31
Mousepad
Corsair MM300 Large
Audio
Steelseries Siberia V2
CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3Ghz (333x9)
Motherboard
MSI P45 Neo2-FR
GPU
MSI GTX760 Gaming X
RAM
6GB completely random 1 and 2GB sticks. All 4 different ones.
Hard Drive
A-Data 120GB SSD
Power Supply
AOpen 350w
Cooling
Some huge aluminum Xeon heatsink
Case
Cartboard box.
Operating System
W10 Pro x64
CPU
Intel Xeon E3-1270v1 @ 3.8Ghz
Motherboard
ASUS P8H61-i R2.0
GPU
Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1230Mhz core.
RAM
16GB Kingston HyperX Savage 2400CL11 @ 1333CL6
Hard Drive
Kingston 240GB SSD
Power Supply
Corsair CX600
Cooling
Corsair H110i GTX
Case
Custom open test bench made from a cut-up CM690 v1
Operating System
W10 Pro X64
Monitor
Samsung 23" cheap thing
Keyboard
Cheapest one Aldi had
Mouse
Cheapest one Aldi had
Mousepad
The desk...
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 06:36 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Eisbaer Extreme 280 with the P14 fans from the Arctic Freezer II

curtesy of guru3d ,and I know there are probably problems with their testing methodology (not saying it is, or it isn't, nor how much, just a feeling i get when i roughly compare their numbers to all the other numbers of all the major testers on the internet, never checked properly), but it gives us a rough look.

But again the Arctic radiator is thicker by 8mm, and well Eisbaer is 220 euro (+5 year warranty), and Arctic is 85 euro (2 year warranty).

Last edited by Dogzilla07; 02-10-2020 at 06:55 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 07:04 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 422 (Unique: 282)
Quote: Originally Posted by Ichirou View Post
In a nutshell, I'm in a situation where my Noctua NH-D15 just... isn't enough. My case isn't very large (low air flow pressure), which means that temperatures across the board that typically should be low are much higher than they should be.

Sadly, I've been experiencing instability that leads to BSODs while gaming, so I need to pull down the temperatures hard. I don't know how to make a custom loop (nor am I really willing to take the risk to learn it), so I'd just like to know what the best 280mm AIO is available out there for me to buy.

I'm fully prepared to buy it AND swap out both fans for Arctic P12's to further boost cooling performance. I really want to shave 10-20C (or more) off of these dreaded temperatures that hit 80-90 C during gaming. (For reference, I use an i7-8086k @ 5 GHz). (Side note: I can't do 360mm, because my case doesn't have space for a triple.)

Thank you all so very much
Agree with below on the Eisbaer Extreme. But....you mean you would swap to P14, not P12, correct? And, personally, having owned both the SW3 that comes with the Eisbaer and the P14, I wouldn't be inclined to swap them unless I absolutely needed higher rpm fans to keep the CPU cool. Even then I would be inclined to go to SW3 High Speed rather than P14 unless I was tight on cash.

Quote: Originally Posted by Imprezzion View Post
Eisbaer Extreme 280. Or the new NZXT Z72.
Quote: Originally Posted by Dogzilla07 View Post
Eisbaer Extreme 280 with the P14 fans from the Arctic Freezer II

curtesy of guru3d ,and I know there are probably problems with their testing methodology (not saying it is, or it isn't, nor how much, just a feeling i get when i roughly compare their numbers to all the other numbers of all the major testers on the internet, never checked properly), but it gives us a rough look.

But again the Arctic radiator is thicker by 8mm, and well Eisbaer is 220 euro (+5 year warranty), and Arctic is 85 euro (2 year warranty).
The Arctic may be 8mm thicker, but it is also made of a material that is 50% less efficient. So, essentially, you have a rad taking up more space and operating less efficiently. I'm not sure if you were somehow trying to intimate that this was somehow a good thing.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 07:06 AM
The last VRM burner

Rep: 42 (Unique: 25)
Eisbaer Extreme or Liquid Freezer II.

PC for all
(21 items)
CPU
i7 5775c @4.2GHz/3.8GHz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5
GPU
Iris Pro 6200
RAM
F3-2400C11D-16GAB Samsung Rev. Q
Hard Drive
Corsair MP510
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 860
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus 750W
Cooling
Artcic Liquid Freezer II 360mm
Cooling
Arctic P12 PWM x2
Cooling
Arctic P14 x4
Case
LianLi 330X
Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit Pro
Monitor
Samsung C24FG73FQUX
Monitor
Benq GL2250 80Hz
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe Red Silent + 1.6x6mm o-rings
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 600
Mousepad
Artisan FX Raiden
Audio
Audio in Motion SC808 + MUSES8820 + 2x 2xLME49990
Audio
AKG M220
Other
NZXT Hue+
Other
Mayflash F300 Arcade Stick
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Okay, I'm a bit confused now. What AIO + third-party fan combination should I buy then?

I looked into the Arctic Liquid Freezer II before I went to sleep, and it looked nice, but now I'm intrigued by this Eisbaer Extreme. I'll look into it now.

Based on those charts though, it feels like the two AIOs are within the margin of error, and I'm not sure whether shaving just 2°C off (assuming it's consistent) for more than double the cost is worth it.

Also, I wasn't sure about what fans to take; I just read somewhere that they recommended the P12. If the P14 is basically the same size but better, yeah, I could go for those instead.

The two year warranty on the Freezer concerns me a bit though. Do AIOs break down? I had a single fan radiator ages ago and it served me well for years until I ditched it (for the NH-D15).

Is there any particular reason why (besides warranty) to take the Eisbaer Extreme over it? Alphacool IIRC is involved in the custom loop business, so that intrigues me a bit. Do custom loops provide even better cooling, or has the temperature gap more or less been bridged by now?

Looking into the Eisbaer, do you need to do any sort of manual work, or is it already prebuilt and ready for installation? I.E. Do you need to buy mineral water or something? According to this review on KitGuru, it doesn't seem like it's the absolute best in terms of cooling performance though, compared to more standard AIO offerings. https://www.kitguru.net/components/c...80mm-review/5/

Last edited by Ichirou; 02-10-2020 at 12:35 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 01:37 PM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 422 (Unique: 282)
Quote: Originally Posted by Ichirou View Post
Okay, I'm a bit confused now. What AIO + third-party fan combination should I buy then?

I looked into the Arctic Liquid Freezer II before I went to sleep, and it looked nice, but now I'm intrigued by this Eisbaer Extreme. I'll look into it now.

Based on those charts though, it feels like the two AIOs are within the margin of error, and I'm not sure whether shaving just 2°C off (assuming it's consistent) for more than double the cost is worth it.

Also, I wasn't sure about what fans to take; I just read somewhere that they recommended the P12. If the P14 is basically the same size but better, yeah, I could go for those instead.

The two year warranty on the Freezer concerns me a bit though. Do AIOs break down? I had a single fan radiator ages ago and it served me well for years until I ditched it (for the NH-D15).

Is there any particular reason why (besides warranty) to take the Eisbaer Extreme over it? Alphacool IIRC is involved in the custom loop business, so that intrigues me a bit. Do custom loops provide even better cooling, or has the temperature gap more or less been bridged by now?

Looking into the Eisbaer, do you need to do any sort of manual work, or is it already prebuilt and ready for installation? I.E. Do you need to buy mineral water or something? According to this review on KitGuru, it doesn't seem like it's the absolute best in terms of cooling performance though, compared to more standard AIO offerings. https://www.kitguru.net/components/c...80mm-review/5/
On the P12/P14 confusion....you asked about 280mm rads, which use two 140mm fans. The P12 is a 120mm fan, it is not the correct size for a 280mm rad. The P14 is the 140mm variation in the series. You want P14s for a 280mm rad.

If you look at the results in the review you linked, you will notice that the more heat that is used, the better the Eisbaer performs in relation to the other coolers. At 5GHz, it is the top performer, and the only other cooler close is over 10 dB louder trying to keep up.

Other reasons? Yes, the Eisbaer is expandable, and all copper (no mixed metals).

And, yes, custom loops can provide significantly better cooling at significantly lower noise levels than AiOs. But that will also come at a higher price.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post
On the P12/P14 confusion....you asked about 280mm rads, which use two 140mm fans. The P12 is a 120mm fan, it is not the correct size for a 280mm rad. The P14 is the 140mm variation in the series. You want P14s for a 280mm rad.

If you look at the results in the review you linked, you will notice that the more heat that is used, the better the Eisbaer performs in relation to the other coolers. At 5GHz, it is the top performer, and the only other cooler close is over 10 dB louder trying to keep up.

Other reasons? Yes, the Eisbaer is expandable, and all copper (no mixed metals).

And, yes, custom loops can provide significantly better cooling at significantly lower noise levels than AiOs. But that will also come at a higher price.
Oh, my mistake about the fans then. I got confused.
I just looked up the dimensions of the Eisbaer, and my god is it long. It won't fit in my case, unfortunately.

This is actually kind of sad. I'm checking out the dimensions of these, and I don't even think I have enough clearance for 280mm AIOs IF the radiators incorporate extra length. This might mean I would have to go with some 240mm instead, potentially. I'll have to look at some other coolers and measure them all.

One thing I noticed about the charts on the KitGuru site is that Corsair H100i Platinum is missing from the 5 GHz chart, but is consistently the highest on the lower loads. I looked it up out of curiosity, and noticed that it's much cheaper. On other sites, benchmarks show it performing extremely well, often times even better than the H115i Platinum. Is it worth considering?

There's also the new Corsair iCUE H100i RGB Pro XT that just came out. Trying to look up benchmarks, but there aren't much to work with. It looks promising from what I've seen, though.

------------------------------------------

Update: Okay, I settled on the Corsair iCUE H100i RGB Pro XT in the end, because my case can only fit 240mm, and it seemed to give the best performance from what I've seen of 240mm benchmarks. Let's hope that it performs better than my NH-D15.

I can only assume that the reason why I'm getting poor temps on the NH-D15 is because of airflow and space. Hitting 80-90 on that cooler doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and every benchmark I've seen so far never hits it. I can only assume that there is inefficiency happening. Perhaps air pressure and ambient temps are negatively affecting its performance.

Last edited by Ichirou; 02-10-2020 at 03:13 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 12:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
I'd have gone with the arctic cooler 240mm then. H100i is loud

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in