EK - I suspect the nickle plating in fittings is not very good ...... - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

EK - I suspect the nickle plating in fittings is not very good ......

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 07:44 AM
Overclocker in training
 
ThrashZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,461
Rep: 150 (Unique: 92)
Quote: Originally Posted by mongoled View Post
Really, is there much point ?

I pointed out my thoughts direct to EK RMA along with informing them I will stop buying EK fittings.

Not much more to be done when a company is going down hill in such a manner ...........

** EDIT **
just got a response from EK RMA see below

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We can send you a replacement EK-AF FillPort G1/4 - Black Nickel due to the circled dent (we do not sell used items).

Regarding the nickel plating on AF Angled 2×45° G1/4 Black Nickel. This is normal as the insides are not nickel-plated thoroughly, this is safe to use and it does not affect the performance.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second point, really ???
Hi,
See what the hardware rep here says I'm sure he'll post shortly

But yes I've had out of like 24 or so nickle straight barb fittings half dozen that were defects
I assumed it was damage from being dropped during shipping or stocking at micro center... ?
Since they only came in a individual ziplock bag per piece ?
But with just a little vinegar they look like this makes the damage pop

Spoiler!

CPU
i9-9940x With Optimus Foundation copper-plexi and Heatkiller VRM Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Cooling
MO-RA3 360 PRO stainless steel (25022)
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Other
5.0/https://valid.x86.fr/ez2ifr
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by ThrashZone; 03-05-2020 at 08:01 AM.
ThrashZone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 07:46 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
zGunBLADEz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,869
Rep: 103 (Unique: 76)
wth you were using??? acid on your loop lol
oh wait XD

zGunBLADEz is offline  
post #13 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 07:52 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
NewUser16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,408
Rep: 53 (Unique: 36)
Personally and from my experience from few years ago, EK never had quality products, they where always the first to come up with updated products as new GPU's CPUs would come up, that's where the popularity came from, but as far is quality...was never there.

I remember when I just got into watercooling about 10-12 years ago and of course EK came up on my list from research so I got few of their GPU blocks and I always get the best can be I don't skimp out on WC gear and what do you know, the thread on 2 out of 3 blocks where messed up so when I reached out they blamed me first...phhhh when I didn't even installed them yet.

Ever since I never got any of their products, even thou apparently their approach to similar issue(s) was changed and they have educated their stuff when comes to human interaction.

Their nickle plating might be the worse in the industry and the flaking of their plating years ago, that was never fixed, It was slightly improved, but more hidden and put on back burner, the only thing they did was to tell you to use their coolants, which btw. were made by mayhems for a while and things were OK as long as you have used their coolant, until they got cheap again and started making their own, that just shows how cheap they are and at least in my view, you should be able to use any coolant you like without worrying about voiding warranty or some issues that comes along.

So...what you see on your fittings is not surprising, nothing has changed and will continue until people wont stop getting their gear.

btw. I have used Watercool Heatkiller blocks for decade with different liquids, not a single issue and the same applies to Aquacomputer and Bitspowers, so there are other reputable brands that are quality focused rather then quantity witch leads to poor product.

Last edited by NewUser16; 03-05-2020 at 07:59 AM.
NewUser16 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 08:00 AM
Overclocker in training
 
ThrashZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,461
Rep: 150 (Unique: 92)
Quote: Originally Posted by zGunBLADEz View Post
wth you were using??? acid on your loop lol
oh wait XD
Hi,
Sort of acid green ek cryofuel premix
Here they are before the vinegar
Spoiler!

CPU
i9-9940x With Optimus Foundation copper-plexi and Heatkiller VRM Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Cooling
MO-RA3 360 PRO stainless steel (25022)
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Other
5.0/https://valid.x86.fr/ez2ifr
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
ThrashZone is offline  
post #15 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 08:45 AM
I can count to potato
 
Fluxmaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: OBX
Posts: 529
Rep: 49 (Unique: 20)
Quote: Originally Posted by Asunder View Post
Has anyone had a better experience with the new Torque fittings? It was assumed they're better, but I've already read a lot of posts about this AF line-up having abysmal QC so **** knows.
Haven't tried them but I like the aesthetic of the Torque line. I doubt I would ever give them a chance though. Out of all the fittings I own, the EK ones feel the cheapest even though they aren't.

Darling
(20 items)
Sanic
(8 items)
Arctic
(12 items)
CPU
3900x
Motherboard
MSI x570 Ace
GPU
MSI Ventus OC RTX 2080
GPU
GTX 1080 FE
RAM
TridentZ B-die 3200cl14
Hard Drive
WD Black SN750 with heatsink
Hard Drive
WD Black SN750
Hard Drive
Micron 5100 Pro (SATA m.2)
Optical Drive
LG Bluray drive
Power Supply
EVGA 1200 P2
Cooling
Custom loop
Case
Little Devil PC-V7
Monitor
Omen 32
Monitor
Huion Kamvas GT-220 v2 Graphics drawing display
Keyboard
Clueboard w/ 67g Zealios
Mouse
Glorious Model O
Mousepad
Tekmat AR-15 gun cleaning mat
Audio
JBL 306 MKII studio montors
Audio
Focusrite 2i4 Gen2
Audio
Monolith 10" THX sub
CPU
i7 6700
Motherboard
GA-Z270N-Gaming 5
GPU
GTX Titan Black
RAM
16GB Ripjaws 3200Mhz
Hard Drive
WD Blue 3D m.2
Power Supply
Corsair AX760
Cooling
Custom loop with external MO-RA3
Case
InWin D-Frame Mini
CPU
i7 6700
Motherboard
MSI h270 tomahawk arctic
GPU
EVGA GTX 960 FTW 4GB
RAM
Basic 2133 16GB kit
Hard Drive
WD Black
Hard Drive
WD Gold
Hard Drive
Toshiba x300
Hard Drive
Patriot Scorch m.2
Optical Drive
LG Bluray drive
Power Supply
EVGA 1000 G2
Cooling
Cryorig H7
Case
Maingear Shift
▲ hide details ▲
Fluxmaven is offline  
post #16 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 09:48 AM
Disgruntled Dev
 
VaiFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 1,201
Rep: 19 (Unique: 15)
I had first started using EK products back in the early to mid 2000s when I started building gaming PCs for my friends in high school. Most experiences were positive, with a few issues here and there. RMA was a pain as I was living in Germany at the time on base.

With my next personal build coming up, I figured I'd finally give myself the luxury of WC like I had done for everyone else, but it's a shame to see that not only do there appear to be issues, but it seems the quality is getting worse.

No one ever reported flaking fittings to me afterward, so that wasn't something I was ever made aware of and hadn't experienced myself.

The Vortex
(13 items)
CPU
i7-2600K @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard
ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution
GPU
Evga 980Ti Classified
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133MHZ
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Optical Drive
ASUS DRW SATA 24X DVD
Power Supply
Antec CP-1000
Cooling
Zalman CNPS9700
Case
Antec Twelve Hundred ATX Full Tower
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Monitor
Samsung SyncMaster SA550
Keyboard
Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
Mouse
Corsair M95
▲ hide details ▲
VaiFanatic is offline  
post #17 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 03:44 AM
Hardware Rep
 
AtilaEKWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 39
Rep: 5 (Unique: 3)
Hi there!
Let me try to jump in on this subject.

So I'm just trying to figure out what happened.

Case 1.
You ordered new parts and you discovered that they have visual flaws.

Case 2.
And you have used some older EK fittings, for more than two years, and the nickel had died away, and you would like to RMA them?
If the period of flaking occurred after more than 2 years, it cannot be covered by warranty. Even if it would have leaked,
if the two years are up, that's it. Mostly fittings don't leak, I mean they are not timed to die after 2 years, but a warranty period
is a warranty period. I could try and push it through RMA if you have proof of the purchase of purpose-made coolants that contain anticorrosives.
Not adhering to the recommended use of nickel-plated products also voids the warranty.

So, two separate cases?
Thanks!
AtilaEKWB is offline  
post #18 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 04:04 AM
Hardware Rep
 
AtilaEKWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 39
Rep: 5 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by NewUser16 View Post
Personally and from my experience from few years ago, EK never had quality products, they where always the first to come up with updated products as new GPU's CPUs would come up, that's where the popularity came from, but as far is quality...was never there.

I remember when I just got into watercooling about 10-12 years ago and of course EK came up on my list from research so I got few of their GPU blocks and I always get the best can be I don't skimp out on WC gear and what do you know, the thread on 2 out of 3 blocks where messed up so when I reached out they blamed me first...phhhh when I didn't even installed them yet.

Ever since I never got any of their products, even thou apparently their approach to similar issue(s) was changed and they have educated their stuff when comes to human interaction.

Their nickle plating might be the worse in the industry and the flaking of their plating years ago, that was never fixed, It was slightly improved, but more hidden and put on back burner, the only thing they did was to tell you to use their coolants, which btw. were made by mayhems for a while and things were OK as long as you have used their coolant, until they got cheap again and started making their own, that just shows how cheap they are and at least in my view, you should be able to use any coolant you like without worrying about voiding warranty or some issues that comes along.

So...what you see on your fittings is not surprising, nothing has changed and will continue until people wont stop getting their gear.

btw. I have used Watercool Heatkiller blocks for decade with different liquids, not a single issue and the same applies to Aquacomputer and Bitspowers, so there are other reputable brands that are quality focused rather then quantity witch leads to poor product.
This is a very interesting topic for me. I have been yapping for a while about the Nickle plating, and its quality and that something should be done.

The thing is, the RMA numbers for these cases are really low. Relative to the number of sold blocks, the RMA claims of nickel flaking are so small that every time I bring up the subject, I'm just given the numbers.
Also, everyone who has nickel flaking or "corrosion" of the nickel, within the warranty period, and has proof of purchase for a purpose made coolant, the user is entitled to a brand new cold plate, free of charge.

Why are machining marks so visible? The machining marks are much more visible than with some other brands is because its a special mixture of nickel that doesn't fill the cracks as much as "ordinary" nickel.
This will not change for a few reasons. Partly it's kind of a trademark of how EK makes the blocks (i know, not everyone likes it), and again, the numbers. The number of issues with the nickel relative to the sales
number are minuscule.

I know that the issue partly lies in the fact that people when they experience issues, don't turn to the manufacturer, and the actual RMA numbers say, everything is fine!
Last time I checked, there was an average of one GPU block nickel flaking issue reported to EK monthly. QC is not making this up, I was looking at the screen.

So the only thing that I can ask of everyone, is that whenever you encounter an issue with an EK product, to take those few minutes, open a support ticket, or open an RMA ticket. You might not get the desired
answer all the time.... if someone used the loop with pure distilled water, of course, things will not work out in their favor. But opening a support ticket can help improve product quality and design in the long run.

Thanks!
AtilaEKWB is offline  
post #19 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 04:28 AM
Overclocker in training
 
ThrashZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,461
Rep: 150 (Unique: 92)
Hi,
RMA on fittings isn't worth the shipping costs plus EU just makes shipping overly complicated period.
Unless bought at a local tech store like micro center but also who buys in store warranties on fittings which if I remember straight nickle barbs are like 6.us

Water block sure but still a lot needs to be done to simplify rma shipping to Germany
UPS/ DHL/.. return core and let them figure it out what the EU wants otherwise people just won't do rma and just goes to a different manufacture for products.

CPU
i9-9940x With Optimus Foundation copper-plexi and Heatkiller VRM Plexi-Copper water block
Motherboard
ASUS x299 Rampage VI Apex
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200-P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Cooling
MO-RA3 360 PRO stainless steel (25022)
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
Redragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Other
5.0/https://valid.x86.fr/ez2ifr
CPU
i7-5930k with Heatkiller IV Pro Plexi-Copper and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2/ Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000-P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon Perdition
Audio
Built in realtek and Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
ANGIS Legion MOD 200w Geek Vape
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-0mg nic
▲ hide details ▲
ThrashZone is offline  
post #20 of 178 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 04:43 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
zGunBLADEz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,869
Rep: 103 (Unique: 76)
Quote: Originally Posted by AtilaEKWB View Post
This is a very interesting topic for me. I have been yapping for a while about the Nickle plating, and its quality and that something should be done.

The thing is, the RMA numbers for these cases are really low. Relative to the number of sold blocks, the RMA claims of nickel flaking are so small that every time I bring up the subject, I'm just given the numbers.
Also, everyone who has nickel flaking or "corrosion" of the nickel, within the warranty period, and has proof of purchase for a purpose made coolant, the user is entitled to a brand new cold plate, free of charge.

Why are machining marks so visible? The machining marks are much more visible than with some other brands is because its a special mixture of nickel that doesn't fill the cracks as much as "ordinary" nickel.
This will not change for a few reasons. Partly it's kind of a trademark of how EK makes the blocks (i know, not everyone likes it), and again, the numbers. The number of issues with the nickel relative to the sales
number are minuscule.

I know that the issue partly lies in the fact that people when they experience issues, don't turn to the manufacturer, and the actual RMA numbers say, everything is fine!
Last time I checked, there was an average of one GPU block nickel flaking issue reported to EK monthly. QC is not making this up, I was looking at the screen.

So the only thing that I can ask of everyone, is that whenever you encounter an issue with an EK product, to take those few minutes, open a support ticket, or open an RMA ticket. You might not get the desired
answer all the time.... if someone used the loop with pure distilled water, of course, things will not work out in their favor. But opening a support ticket can help improve product quality and design in the long run.

Thanks!
wait what?? i be using distilled water with a silver killcoil and NEVER had issues on any of my loops... i had loops for over 2 yrs without dismantle and they are as clean as the first day... Thats an excuse as alot of users..... lets say a high majority "mostly all of them??" use distilled water.. You aint cathing me running that ghostbuster "lime" crap in any of my loops also.


Last edited by zGunBLADEz; 03-06-2020 at 04:47 AM.
zGunBLADEz is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off