Would you prioritize the block or fittings when planning the budget? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Would you prioritize the block or fittings when planning the budget?

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Would you prioritize the block or fittings when planning the budget?

I know a lot of you folks have plenty of first-hand experience with planning your custom loops, cpu blocks, fittings, etc., so I was wondering if I could pick your minds on which parts you'd allocate more towards. I had initially planned for a Magnitude block with Torque fittings as soon as I saw the alleged CES rumours that they're bringing new tech, thinking I would just slowly gather parts over a couple of months. Sadly I've already overspent a bit on some of the parts and even then it's way more than I would have anticipated. I've already gotten a few of the necessary parts: pump/res, radiator, external PSU (btw the external PSU design is pretty terrible, there is no switch and the molex socket is way too stiff).

The main options would be:
-save a bit on the block and go for a classic velocity block + torque fittings

-HK IV copper block and Barrow fittings + adapters.

I've read that Bitspower are very reliable, but the amount of adapters I'd need puts it way out of my budget range. I would need 2x 90°, 2x 45° adapters, a 3-way splitter, 2x extenders and a lot of regular fittings. I've narrowed it down to these mostly because I can find most parts in the same place, otherwise the shipping costs would probably be equivalent to the regular fittings'.

One of the challenges is that the pump can only be mounted on one side so I really don't have options that would eliminate the need of some adapters. The pump is longer than anticipated so I'm not sure if it actually fits under the gpu, the reservoir is 150ml and it definitely goes over the GPU height. The only other option is mounting it parallel on the case side panel.

I've read plenty of xtremerigs/techpowerup reviews, but all of them use Intel CPU's for testing. Zen 2's layout is completely different so I'm pretty sure the cold-plates would behave differently. I was hoping some 3900X/3950X users could offer some advice on what's worked for them. Again I'd be grateful for some insight!

I've made a quick draft below, though I'm not sure if it's clear enough, my drawing skills aren't great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Loop1.png
Views:	11
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	331044  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 06:57 AM
u broke 666 rep :(

Rep: 681 (Unique: 361)
blocks.

get copper/brass barbs from a not-water-cooling solution. they'll cost a dollar a piece, and will be made of better metal. just gotta be g1/4

cheap fittings will eventually corrode, even with decent coolant management.

be sure to scan thru frozenCPU & PPC's clearance/B bin for other parts though. FCPU had heatkiller 3 blocks for $20 the other day, for example.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
KAIHL Switches < CHERRY Switches, 10/10, blind taste test @ work.

Last edited by skupples; 03-06-2020 at 07:01 AM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 07:02 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 428 (Unique: 285)
Given those options, I would go with the HK block and Barrow fittings. You could go with BP on the rotaries if you want a little higher quality there. Frankly, the Barrow fittings are higher quality than the EK, so you are really asking "should I pay more for lower quality fittings, or less for better quality fittings?".

But....you could also go with an Optimus Foundation block (which performs as well as the Magnitude at the price of the Velocity, and better than the HK) and Bitspower fittings all around in that price range. That would make more sense to me than either option you have listed.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 07:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Is there any validity with Tech Power Up's review on the foundation block and the "high pressure" issue?

Quote: Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post
Given those options, I would go with the HK block and Barrow fittings. You could go with BP on the rotaries if you want a little higher quality there. Frankly, the Barrow fittings are higher quality than the EK, so you are really asking "should I pay more for lower quality fittings, or less for better quality fittings?".

But....you could also go with an Optimus Foundation block (which performs as well as the Magnitude at the price of the Velocity, and better than the HK) and Bitspower fittings all around in that price range. That would make more sense to me than either option you have listed.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 07:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 12)
I use zip ties to secure my tubes. I wouldn't worry about pressure. If you're concerned about pressure building up, just make sure there is some air in the reservoir to compress and decompress with heat cycles.

Asus Prime Z370, Intel 8700k @5.0Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB @3400 CL14, Watercooling: x2 MCP355 pumps, x1 280 on front of case, x1 360 on top of case, x1 140 on back of case, x1 240 on bottom of case
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 07:27 AM
u broke 666 rep :(

Rep: 681 (Unique: 361)
there is no high pressure or flow "issue" at all. just different designs getting to the same goal. if you have a dinky pump, go with the low restriction solution. otherwise, its non-issue.

skip all the low end WC fittings. they're all trash but BP. get barbs from home depot. Which by the way. Barbs + clamps are far more secure than any compression fitting ever will be

i've seen every company's fittings eventually corrode, aside from BP, and bobo brand chrome series.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
KAIHL Switches < CHERRY Switches, 10/10, blind taste test @ work.

Last edited by skupples; 03-06-2020 at 07:31 AM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 07:37 AM
I can count to potato

Rep: 49 (Unique: 20)
I have a 3900x and am currently running an EK Supremacy Edge... Which is just a rare, prettied up Evo. I already had this block in my collection, but if if I were buying something else it would be the Optimus Foundation AMD block.

Barrow fittings are cheap and great quality. I have fittings from almost every major brand, but the majority are Bitspower and Barrow. I tend to stick to Bitspower for rotaries, but I actually haven't had any of the Barrow ones leak.

Darling
(20 items)
Sanic
(8 items)
Arctic
(12 items)
CPU
3900x
Motherboard
MSI x570 Ace
GPU
MSI Ventus OC RTX 2080
GPU
GTX 1080 FE
RAM
TridentZ B-die 3200cl14
Hard Drive
WD Black SN750 with heatsink
Hard Drive
WD Black SN750
Hard Drive
Micron 5100 Pro (SATA m.2)
Optical Drive
LG Bluray drive
Power Supply
EVGA 1200 P2
Cooling
Custom loop
Case
Little Devil PC-V7
Monitor
Omen 32
Monitor
Huion Kamvas GT-220 v2 Graphics drawing display
Keyboard
Clueboard w/ 67g Zealios
Mouse
Glorious Model O
Mousepad
Tekmat AR-15 gun cleaning mat
Audio
JBL 306 MKII studio montors
Audio
Focusrite 2i4 Gen2
Audio
Monolith 10" THX sub
CPU
i7 6700
Motherboard
GA-Z270N-Gaming 5
GPU
GTX Titan Black
RAM
16GB Ripjaws 3200Mhz
Hard Drive
WD Blue 3D m.2
Power Supply
Corsair AX760
Cooling
Custom loop with external MO-RA3
Case
InWin D-Frame Mini
CPU
i7 6700
Motherboard
MSI h270 tomahawk arctic
GPU
EVGA GTX 960 FTW 4GB
RAM
Basic 2133 16GB kit
Hard Drive
WD Black
Hard Drive
WD Gold
Hard Drive
Toshiba x300
Hard Drive
Patriot Scorch m.2
Optical Drive
LG Bluray drive
Power Supply
EVGA 1000 G2
Cooling
Cryorig H7
Case
Maingear Shift
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 07:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 12)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
there is no high pressure or flow "issue" at all. just different designs getting to the same goal. if you have a dinky pump, go with the low restriction solution. otherwise, its non-issue.

skip all the low end WC fittings. they're all trash but BP. get barbs from home depot. Which by the way. Barbs + clamps are far more secure than any compression fitting ever will be

i've seen every company's fittings eventually corrode, aside from BP, and bobo brand chrome series.
Pressure isn't built by the pump. Even the strongest pump will have a neutral pressure as the liquid in a system is assumed a solid (assume liquids don't compress).

The pressure build up is from thermal expansion. In a closed system, below is the theoretical thermal expansion of water. But this is negated by expansion of tubes and other components as well as the air in your reservoir, if you don't completely fill it to the top. If you do completely fill it with no air, and you turn off the fans or pump, allowing the water to get really hot, you might blow a tube.

I had my pump fail only once and the load was light on my CPU so to let the CPU temps raise steadily (not thermal trip). Either the heat, pressure, or combination caused the acrylic top to crack.
Attached Images

Asus Prime Z370, Intel 8700k @5.0Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB @3400 CL14, Watercooling: x2 MCP355 pumps, x1 280 on front of case, x1 360 on top of case, x1 140 on back of case, x1 240 on bottom of case
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 08:43 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 428 (Unique: 285)
Quote: Originally Posted by RoivonPC View Post
Is there any validity with Tech Power Up's review on the foundation block and the "high pressure" issue?
Rather than say exactly the same thing....I'll just say that @skupples is correct.

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I forgot to mention a really important point, I'm in EU. I really dig the fin layout of the Optimus Block but it's not worth the risk/costs of trying to import , moreso with the current situation across.

Also I'm not sure how good the pump is in terms of pressure management, but what I do know is that the volume/flow is way lower than a D5's based on specs alone (I'll just link it cause I'm not really familiar with electrical components https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product...oducts_id=3379).

Edit:

@skupples thanks for the recommendations, that's actually such a good deal for a HK block, but I don't think frozenCPU ship outside US, it would be fairly complicated anyway. Regarding the barbs, do they fit any kind of tubing as long as it's G1/4? My main concern with looking for fittings at random industrial shops is that I'm not really sure I can trust that they're purely made of copper/brass - some vendors don't specify which materials they're made of. The only norprene tubes that aren't sold b2b are ZMT's or the ones from WaterCool DE. At least I couldn't find any Tygon A-60g at any shop other than b2b.

@ciarlatano I could probably go for a couple of BP ones, but the ball-valve/splitter/extender setup would cost a lot more, it would probably make it about 250$ for the fittings alone. I'm considering getting the rotaries from BP now, though, that might be a doable solution if I just get Arctic fans instead. Thanks for the recommendations!

@Fluxmaven I believe I've actually read a lot of your ryzen content, definitely think it was helpful. Iirc I think you mentioned temps weren't quite impressive with the Velocity block, right? Good to know Barrow fittings worked for you cause I was pretty concerned since they cost like half of most others' brands.

Last edited by Asunder; 03-06-2020 at 10:35 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in