Pump issues - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Pump issues

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 13)
Pump issues

I have a water cooling set up from EKMB. I've had it for a while and never had any issues. My son uses the computer for his Vive. One day it rebooted for a windows update. When it came back on, it was overheating. I noticed the pump was running. No matter how many times I rebooted, it never came on. So, we just shut it off and let it sit. I was going to order a new pump but one day out of frustration while at work, my son turned it on and the pump started up just fine. Everything was great for a while but then I shut it down to add fluid to the reservoir. When I turned it back on, the pump won't start. I pulled the power and plugged it into another line just incase that's the problem but nothing. I can hear a faint clicking like it's trying to do something.

So, is the pump just dead and need replaced? I've never taken it apart so I was thinking maybe if I took it apart and cleaned it really well, maybe that might be the issue? Any suggestions?

If it matters, here's my build log from forever ago.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/1808...der-water.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 02:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
From what I see in the photos is a system of two pumps, a DDC and a D5 .......... have the two pumps failed you at once?

Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL + EK O11D Distro-Plate G1 DDC 3.2 + 2x360 EK Radiators - Aorus RTX 2080 TI Fullcover [email protected]/15000 - EVGA Supernova 1600 - Corsair K95 + Dark Core SE/MM1000 - X27P 4K HDR1000 Gsync 144 Hz - Lenovo Explorer
Asus Prime X299 Deluxe - i9 [email protected]/3.2 Delid - 4x8 G.SKILL RipjawsV [email protected] C17 1T - Intel Optane 900P NVME - Crucial MX300 2TB - Samsung EVO 860 4TB + Optane 32GB - 2X2TB WD Raid - DAC Teac UD H01 + AKG K612 Pro + 2.1 Studio
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Pepillo View Post
From what I see in the photos is a system of two pumps, a DDC and a D5 .......... have the two pumps failed you at once?
No, it's just the one pump at the bottom next to the psu. The bottom of the cylinder shaped reservoir doesn't have a pump built into it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 05:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 94 (Unique: 71)
Quote: Originally Posted by MIGhunter View Post
No, it's just the one pump at the bottom next to the psu. The bottom of the cylinder shaped reservoir doesn't have a pump built into it

yea, that's a DDC pump, while they can last 10 years, with a air cooler upgrade, and good air flow across that cooler. I would guess that the one you have, has run it's life at this point. as for a replacement pump, I would suggest getting a D5. yes it is more expensive, but all my D5 pumps have all lasted 7 to 10 years running 24/7.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/rigbu...tle=AMD+AM3%2B
AMD AM3+
(13 items)
TEC Power
(21 items)
CPU
FX9590
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth 990FX
GPU
GTX580
RAM
Samsung 1600
Hard Drive
Intel 520 SSD 120Gigs
Optical Drive
DVD
Power Supply
Enermax 1350
Cooling
water cooled
Monitor
Asus 27"
Keyboard
microsoft ergo
Mouse
RAT 9
Mousepad
steel series
Audio
ZX 7
CPU
Motherboard
DX79SR
GPU
GTX580
RAM
G skill 2133Mhz
Hard Drive
Intel 3700
Optical Drive
Asus
Power Supply
OCZ 1250W, TT 600W, PowerMax 4 X 500W
Cooling
9 X TEC's 250W 15A 24V
Cooling
Standard Water cooling to cool the TEC's 6 X 360mm radiators
Cooling
19 X CPU water blocks
Cooling
2 X GTX580 GPU water blocks
Cooling
6 X water pumps
Cooling
3 X CPU air coolers
Case
Coustom PC case inside a vacuum chamber
Operating System
Windows 7
Monitor
Dell 30" ultra sharp
Keyboard
Blackwidow
Mouse
RAT 9
Mouse
Gaming Pad
Audio
2.1 sound
Audio
G930 head set
CPU
Intel i7 3930K
Motherboard
Intel DX79SR
GPU
GTX580
RAM
G-Skill
Hard Drive
Intel 3700
Optical Drive
Asus DVD
Power Supply
1250W
Cooling
Water Cooled
Case
H2OQPower
Operating System
Win7
Monitor
Asus
Keyboard
Razer
Mouse
R.A.T.9
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by toolmaker03 View Post
yea, that's a DDC pump, while they can last 10 years, with a air cooler upgrade, and good air flow across that cooler. I would guess that the one you have, has run it's life at this point. as for a replacement pump, I would suggest getting a D5. yes it is more expensive, but all my D5 pumps have all lasted 7 to 10 years running 24/7.
Any suggestion on a pump. A lot of them are combo with the reservoir but as you can see with my setup, the only reason mine fits is the little notch at the bottom of the reservoir. There just isn't enough room between the radiator and my video card. If I remember right, the card had to go in that slot.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 02:46 PM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 428 (Unique: 285)
Quote: Originally Posted by MIGhunter View Post
Any suggestion on a pump. A lot of them are combo with the reservoir but as you can see with my setup, the only reason mine fits is the little notch at the bottom of the reservoir. There just isn't enough room between the radiator and my video card. If I remember right, the card had to go in that slot.
If you want to stay with a small pump as a simple replacement, the Swiftech MCP50X performs similarly to a DDC, is much quieter and doesn't have the cooling issues - http://www.swiftech.com/MCP50X.aspx

Thermalbench review of the pump can be found here - https://thermalbench.com/2015/01/05/...h-mcp50x-pump/

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 09:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I have run my D5 pump for five years without cleaning my system. Now I know to change coolant every year.
I tore my whole system apart and used white vinegar 10% to 60% distilled water inside the 3 radiators and let them
sit for two days and then used baking soda and distilled water to put a coating back on the radiators inside surfaces.

My D5 had basically stopped making my wheel spin, so I bought a cheap pump and it worked. I watched a video
on how to clean the D5, and now She is running great once again.

I also recommend the D5 pump as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D5 pump and Res.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	334176  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in