Custom Loop Question - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Custom Loop Question

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
Dream Chaser

Rep: 217 (Unique: 196)
Custom Loop Question

Hey OCN! So I am looking to get back into watercooling and will be purchasing my parts starting in the next couple of weeks. I plan on mounting my components in a desk, with a sheet of glass over it. So I have included a picture of my loop idea, but I am just worried about the routing and order. Can someone let me know if this loop order looks sufficient and spot any issues I am not seeing. Keep in mind, the res and pump will be mounted flat inside this desktop. i have included a picture of a similar setup so you see what I am planning. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterloop.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	337380  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2YR549g.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	337382  

Coal Factory
(15 items)
CPU
Motherboard
AsRock Fata1ity Gaming K6
GPU
Gigabyte 1080 Auros
RAM
Corsair Dominator Platinum
Hard Drive
Mushkin 240GB SSD
Hard Drive
WD Blue 1TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Firecuda
Optical Drive
Hitachi DVD-RW
Power Supply
EVGA G2
Cooling
Stock
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
28" Asus
Keyboard
Roccat ISKU
Mouse
Roccat Kone Naval Storm
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 06:36 PM
Invalid Media

Rep: 73 (Unique: 31)
...probably might not make that much difference (and I hope I'm not misreading your diagram), but I typically mount radiator(s) right after the heat-generating components (ie CPU, GPU), then into the reservoir and then on to the pump which then feeds back into the water-blocks for CPU and GPU.

[also 'optional' comment' ...with a desk affording you plenty of space, have you considered dual rads (depending on the size & thickness you settled on, ie 360x60 ?). I know it would mean more 'plumbing and fan wiring' but with a desk-computer-build, might as well use all that space you gained ?]
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
Dream Chaser

Quote: Originally Posted by J7SC View Post
...probably might not make that much difference (and I hope I'm not misreading your diagram), but I typically mount radiator(s) right after the heat-generating components (ie CPU, GPU), then into the reservoir and then on to the pump which then feeds back into the water-blocks for CPU and GPU.

[also 'optional' comment' ...with a desk affording you plenty of space, have you considered dual rads (depending on the size & thickness you settled on, ie 360x60 ?). I know it would mean more 'plumbing and fan wiring' but with a desk-computer-build, might as well use all that space you gained ?]
I see what you mean. I was thinking in my head I wanted the cool water to go directly into heat generating components and not give time for the water to warm up before going back through the loop. I did think about dual rads, but the radiator I was looking at was an EK Coolstream 480. Do you suspect that maybe I'd be better of with 2 smaller rads, 1 for CPU and 1 for GPU, or will the bigger one for both suffice?

Also unrelated question...can you install more than one temp plug in your loop to monitor temps lets say before and after the radiator?

Thanks guys and gals!

Coal Factory
(15 items)
CPU
Motherboard
GPU
Gigabyte 1080 Auros
RAM
Hard Drive
Mushkin 240GB SSD
Hard Drive
WD Blue 1TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Firecuda
Optical Drive
Hitachi DVD-RW
Power Supply
EVGA G2
Cooling
Stock
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
28" Asus
Keyboard
Roccat ISKU
Mouse
Roccat Kone Naval Storm
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by jfizz84; 04-05-2020 at 06:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 07:05 PM
Invalid Media

Quote: Originally Posted by jfizz84 View Post
I see what you mean. I was thinking in my head I wanted the cool water to go directly into heat generating components and not give time for the water to cool before going back through the loop. I did think about dual rads, but the radiator I was looking at was an EK Coolstream 480. Do you suspect that maybe I'd be better of with 2 smaller rads, 1 for CPU and 1 for GPU, or will the bigger one for both suffice?

Also unrelated question...can you install more than one temp plug in your loop to monitor temps lets say before and after the radiator?

Thanks guys and gals!

Re. radiator count and size, it really comes down to a.) your components and b.) planned 'oc'. I would think that the EK 480 should be able to handle quite a lot of heat, but once you get into a 380w-400w GPU (ie some 2080 Ti) and an oc'ed multi-core HEDT CPU at >1.33v, things might get toastier.

I typically run mutli-GPUs (ie sig rig) and thus always run separate loops for CPU and GPU...not an absolute necessity, but it works for me. Just the two GPUs in my system put out a combined 780w. That said, you do not need separate loops to run two (or more) rads, but the more components you add per loop, the more you want to consider the pump's head pressure rating.

Along the same line, having more than one temp plug in your system shouldn't be an issue unless the the temp plugs are restrictive. Usually, GPU blocks are the most restrictive in a loop, then CPU blocks
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
Dream Chaser

Re. radiator count and size, it really comes down to a.) your components and b.) planned 'oc'. I would think that the EK 480 should be able to handle quite a lot of heat, but once you get into a 380w-400w GPU (ie some 2080 Ti) and an oc'ed multi-core HEDT CPU at >1.33v, things might get toastier.

I typically run mutli-GPUs (ie sig rig) and thus always run separate loops for CPU and GPU...not an absolute necessity, but it works for me. Just the two GPUs in my system put out a combined 780w. That said, you do not need separate loops to run two (or more) rads, but the more components you add per loop, the more you want to consider the pump's head pressure rating.
I am planning on a 5700XT GPU with OC, and I have an 8700K with OC. Like you said, given the space I will have I am not opposed to getting dual radiators...maybe 2 240 radiators in a single loop? I am concerned about pump pressure though, but the ek-xtop revo dual pump is sooooo expensive. Do-able but expensive.

So I guess those are the main questions right now...2 smaller rads or 1 big rad? And single pump or dual pump?

Coal Factory
(15 items)
CPU
Motherboard
GPU
Gigabyte 1080 Auros
RAM
Hard Drive
Mushkin 240GB SSD
Hard Drive
WD Blue 1TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Firecuda
Optical Drive
Hitachi DVD-RW
Power Supply
EVGA G2
Cooling
Stock
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
28" Asus
Keyboard
Roccat ISKU
Mouse
Roccat Kone Naval Storm
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 07:24 PM
Food Editor

Rep: 720 (Unique: 378)
you know LianLi makes a desk like that, AND its motorized adjustable?

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 07:30 PM
Invalid Media

Quote: Originally Posted by jfizz84 View Post
I am planning on a 5700XT GPU with OC, and I have an 8700K with OC. Like you said, given the space I will have I am not opposed to getting dual radiators...maybe 2 240 radiators in a single loop? I am concerned about pump pressure though, but the ek-xtop revo dual pump is sooooo expensive. Do-able but expensive.

So I guess those are the main questions right now...2 smaller rads or 1 big rad? And single pump or dual pump?

I think a single EK 480 and D5 type pump should be able to handle an oc'ed 5700XT and oc'ed 8700K well, especially with a well-ventilated desk design you had drawn out above.

If you do decide to go for two rads, then why not go for some 'thick' 2x 360s instead of 2x 240s; that also gives you some headroom for future upgrades. Now, I only use D5 type pumps and while they have a deserved, superb reputation, they do not react well to any air in the system (given their larger internal diameter) - having two D5 in series helps with that, and I also like the fail-over with two D5s, and the solid pressure. But it is not an absolute necessity to go for dual pumps if you get all the air out.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 07:37 PM
Food Editor

Rep: 720 (Unique: 378)
SideWinder is having a massive sale. Koolance's 450S is on sale for $65(normally ~$80)

also lots of other good stuff half off. all sorts of random BP fittings left.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter
Dream Chaser

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
you know LianLi makes a desk like that, AND its motorized adjustable?
I've seen that, however I think half the fun is building it

I think a single EK 480 and D5 type pump should be able to handle an oc'ed 5700XT and oc'ed 8700K well, especially with a well-ventilated desk design you had drawn out above.

If you do decide to go for two rads, then why not go for some 'thick' 2x 360s instead of 2x 240s; that also gives you some headroom for future upgrades. Now, I only use D5 type pumps and while they have a deserved, superb reputation, they do not react well to any air in the system (given their larger internal diameter) - having two D5 in series helps with that, and I also like the fail-over with two D5s, and the solid pressure. But it is not an absolute necessity to go for dual pumps if you get all the air out.
Definitely worth considering!

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
SideWinder is having a massive sale. Koolance's 450S is on sale for $65(normally ~$80)

also lots of other good stuff half off. all sorts of random BP fittings left.

I am not opposed to the Koolance pump. But it has less head pressure than the D5. But I did notice both pumps use some form of aluminum. Can I even use either of those with Copper EK waterblocks?

Coal Factory
(15 items)
CPU
Motherboard
GPU
Gigabyte 1080 Auros
RAM
Hard Drive
Mushkin 240GB SSD
Hard Drive
WD Blue 1TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Firecuda
Optical Drive
Hitachi DVD-RW
Power Supply
EVGA G2
Cooling
Stock
Case
Corsair 750D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
28" Asus
Keyboard
Roccat ISKU
Mouse
Roccat Kone Naval Storm
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by jfizz84; 04-06-2020 at 02:28 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 03:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 59 (Unique: 40)

The water temperature will even out so there is no single component that will dump enough heat to increase the temps that you need to add a radiator after it.
I have temp sensors on every inlet/outlet in my loop and at no stage is any more then a degree of each other.

My Baby
(23 items)
CPU
Delidded Direct Die I9 9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Apex
GPU
EVGA FTW3 Hydro Copper GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3600 F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Hard Drive
Asus Hyper M.2 card
Hard Drive
2 x Intel 660P 2TB
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1000 Titanium
Cooling
Optimus Signature V2
Cooling
2x Swiftech MCP35X2 with MCP35X2 Heat Sink w/ 2x NB-BlackSilent Pro's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 560GTX w/ 8x Arctic P14 PST PWM's
Cooling
2x Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 480GTX w/ 16x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM
Cooling
Aquacomputer aqualis XT 450 ml with nano coating
Cooling
9x Noctua NF-S12A PWM
Cooling
Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS w/ 6 Arctic P12 PST PWM's
Case
Case Labs Magnum TH10A with Pedestal
Monitor
Asus PG278Q
Keyboard
Das Keyboard 5Q
Mouse
Swiftpoint Z
Audio
Light Harmonic Oscar XXI
Audio
Geek Pulse Inifnity DAC/AMP
Audio
Cavalii Audio Liquid Carbon HPA
Other
Aquacomputer Aquaero XT
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in