Cooling a 3900x with a Corsair H110i GT (the CoolIt one) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Cooling a 3900x with a Corsair H110i GT (the CoolIt one)

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 61 (Unique: 31)
Cooling a 3900x with a Corsair H110i GT (the CoolIt one)

Considering getting a 3900x to replace my 3yo 1700, but whilst I can justify the CPU cost, having to buy a new cooler as well would probably be a deal breaker, for now.

My H110i is 3yo but still fine, my 3.8Ghz (1.275v) 1700 barely gets over 60 in IBT and Prime small FFT, so it's still working good, but is it enoguh for a 3900x, do you think?

Bit specific, I know, there's loads of different setups and use cases in here, so figured someone might be using one with a 3900x.

I do have my Vega 64 custom cooled with a G2 Slim 360mm rad, D5 and an EK block, so I do have that option to just get a CPU block, but I'd need another radiator too, as I'm not sure the 360mm G2 will be enough for both, so that'd end up being equal, if not more, than getting another AIO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 06:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
perfectly fine
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 06:37 AM
Goodbye

Rep: 981 (Unique: 763)
As I'm cooling a 3900X with a Dark Rock Slim and it only gets into the low 90s with IBT I'm sure you'll be perfectly fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Forgot about this lol Thanks everyone

And woohoo! The 3900x arrives today.

Trying to decide if I should swap my ML140 RGB fans for the 2 x ML140 non-RGB I've got lying around - the none RGB go almost twice as fast (55.4CFM with 1.27mm-H20 vs 94CFM with 3.0mm-H20), but are also a lot louder.

I know it's subjective (noise vs cooling), but opinions? I know the Zen 2 chips like to be cooler to try to boost more, so I'm leaning toward the non-RGB.

Radiator is mounted in roof, so you can hardly see the RGB without being a contortionist anyway.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I'm pleased to report it's coping fine

Seems to top out about 74 to 77C, depending on what stress I'm running (tried Prime95, CB20 and Aida64 FPU), water temp goes up as expected so seems a decent mount.

Quite pleased with that, considering the stories I've seen of instant boosts to 95C on some coolers - that may have been a BIOS bug tho, apparently.

I kept the RGB fans, still undecided on that, but temps seem fine so far.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in