How do you manage summer temps? - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

How do you manage summer temps?

post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 03:27 PM
Food Editor

Rep: 720 (Unique: 378)
Quote: Originally Posted by elucid087 View Post
Ditch the leather chair for mesh. Get an Aeron when they go on sale and you'll be set for life.
i'm not even on leather. I'm on a blown out, then rebuilt office chair.

yes, a Herman Miller is definitely on the list of things to add. I'd need to test the mesh though. Skinny guy problems = tailbone goes numb in no time.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-17-2020, 04:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 458 (Unique: 389)
Pumps and fans are variable, and both can be linked to any temperature, or combination of temperatures you please with either software (argus) or more expensive hardware (aquaero). You should have a system that takes care of itself and increases fans and pump when it needs to.

The only way I can see it not working is if you're already at max cooling capacity on a cold day with nothing in reserve - You always need a few rpm's in reserve

post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 12:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 40 (Unique: 35)
I live on the beach and have 5 radiators + 2 pumps.

A cold beer is all I need.

Smallblock Power
(13 items)
CPU
I7 7700k
Motherboard
Asus Maximus IX Formula
GPU
ATI Radeon Vega 64
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3733
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Pro
Power Supply
EVGA 1200P2
Cooling
5 Radiators
Cooling
2 Pumps
Cooling
9 Fans
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG
Monitor
Samsung Cf791 34" Curved Ultrawide
Keyboard
Hall Effect RGB
Mouse
Razr Diamondback RGB
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by broodro0ster View Post
Nothing. If my GPU works fine at 38°C during the winter, it also works fine at 43°C in summer. Same for my CPU.
That 5-8°C increase in temps shouldn't matter. If that throws of your stability, then you have other problems.

During winter, my ambient around my computer is always 2-3°C higher than roomtemp, because hot exhaust air stays around the case. If I open a window in summer or put a fan on, that hot air can't circulate around the case anymore and my intake temps drop by 2-3°C. So that might helps if you don't have an AC that regulates air circulation in your room.
Things are quite different with the 2080 Ti, they run hotter than the 1080 Ti... But you are right the difference between summer and winter temps at the components is about 5C.

Asus Maximus XI Hero, 8700K 5.0Ghz, Custom loop: EKWB Velocity, X-RES D5, Rads: EK PE 360, Corsair XR5 280, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra/EK Vector FTW3, Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3733Mhz, Samsung 850/860 Evo's, Seasonic Prime Ultra 1300W, Phanteks Eclipse P600S, Asus ROG Swift PG349Q 120hz 34"
Astral85's RIG
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 01:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 8)
Quote: Originally Posted by Astral85 View Post
Things are quite different with the 2080 Ti, they run hotter than the 1080 Ti... But you are right the difference between summer and winter temps at the components is about 5C.
Yes, I know. The 2080TI uses a lot more power than the 1080TI. Undervolting should help quite a bit on this.
I can run my 1080TI at 925mV at about 2000mhz. This lowers power consumption to about 60-70% TDP while gaming. If I overclock it to the max, I'm only achieving 2088mhz at 1093mV and then I'm constantly hitting the power limiter of 117% (I have mine always maxed out).

Lowering the voltage lowers the delta between the GPU core and water temp by about 2°C. And because my GPU isn't dumping that much heat into the loop, the water temps also drop by 2°C.

I like the manual undervolt better than lowering the powerlimit because it gives better clocks for the same voltage. And the core frequency never dips because the powerlimit is never exceed. My mate tried this on his 2080TI and the effect of this was even bigger than on my 1080TI.

And the difference between 2000mhz and 2088mhz, is about 3 fps in Assassins Creed Odyssey on 1440p. I dropped from 87fps to 84fps while I was switching profile in Afterburner when standing still. No the impact is not that big. Something worth trying if you like to mess around with After Burner.

But still, even if you go for the max OC, it shouldn't be an issue on water. These cards run at 80°C without any issues when being aircooled. So worst case you hit 55°C on a 2080TI in summer.

My Rig
(18 items)
CPU
Intel i7 8700k
Motherboard
Asus Hero X
GPU
MSI 1080TI Gaming X
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000C15
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair RM850X
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO
Cooling
Dual Hardware Labs Nemesis 360GTS with FD Venturi HP-12 PWM fans
Cooling
EK D5 PWM
Cooling
EK 1080 Strix waterblock + backplate
Case
Fractal Design Define R6
Operating System
Windows Pro 10
Monitor
Acer XB271HU 1440p 165hz IPS
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Zowie FK-2
Mousepad
Steel Series QCK Heavy
Audio
Sennheiser HD598 + ModMic 4.0
▲ hide details ▲
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by broodro0ster View Post
Yes, I know. The 2080TI uses a lot more power than the 1080TI. Undervolting should help quite a bit on this.
I can run my 1080TI at 925mV at about 2000mhz. This lowers power consumption to about 60-70% TDP while gaming. If I overclock it to the max, I'm only achieving 2088mhz at 1093mV and then I'm constantly hitting the power limiter of 117% (I have mine always maxed out).

Lowering the voltage lowers the delta between the GPU core and water temp by about 2°C. And because my GPU isn't dumping that much heat into the loop, the water temps also drop by 2°C.

I like the manual undervolt better than lowering the powerlimit because it gives better clocks for the same voltage. And the core frequency never dips because the powerlimit is never exceed. My mate tried this on his 2080TI and the effect of this was even bigger than on my 1080TI.

And the difference between 2000mhz and 2088mhz, is about 3 fps in Assassins Creed Odyssey on 1440p. I dropped from 87fps to 84fps while I was switching profile in Afterburner when standing still. No the impact is not that big. Something worth trying if you like to mess around with After Burner.

But still, even if you go for the max OC, it shouldn't be an issue on water. These cards run at 80°C without any issues when being aircooled. So worst case you hit 55°C on a 2080TI in summer.
I'm finding the power consumption to be the driving factor of the GPU temps with my 2080 Ti, voltage (strangely) doesn't seem to (I think) matter. The card can be boosting full clock speed (2000MHz+) @ 1.087V in a game menu and still be at 37-38C because there is just 38% load. I find there is a definite 2-3, occasionally 4C rise at the GPU core when it hits 100%+ power. The power spikes are dynamic though because normally I am not constantly on the power limit. Capping my frame rate prevents that. Your voltage should also be dynamic, usually it only boosts max voltage if it needs too... This is what people say but I still voltage control on Turing a strange being... My card likes to settle at around 1.050V while holding a good overclock. I will try what you are doing and see what results I get. Thanks.

Asus Maximus XI Hero, 8700K 5.0Ghz, Custom loop: EKWB Velocity, X-RES D5, Rads: EK PE 360, Corsair XR5 280, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra/EK Vector FTW3, Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3733Mhz, Samsung 850/860 Evo's, Seasonic Prime Ultra 1300W, Phanteks Eclipse P600S, Asus ROG Swift PG349Q 120hz 34"
Astral85's RIG
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 07:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 8)
I'm finding the power consumption to be the driving factor of the GPU temps with my 2080 Ti, voltage (strangely) doesn't seem to (I think) matter. The card can be boosting full clock speed (2000MHz+) @ 1.087V in a game menu and still be at 37-38C because there is just 38% load. I find there is a definite 2-3, occasionally 4C rise at the GPU core when it hits 100%+ power. The power spikes are dynamic though because normally I am not constantly on the power limit. Capping my frame rate prevents that. Your voltage should also be dynamic, usually it only boosts max voltage if it needs too... This is what people say but I still voltage control on Turing a strange being... My card likes to settle at around 1.050V while holding a good overclock. I will try what you are doing and see what results I get. Thanks.
Voltage matters because power = voltage*amps.
Resistance is calculated by voltage/amps. So if the voltage goes up, the amperes go up and the total power consumption goes up.

A card sitting at 40% load will always be a few degrees cooler than a card sitting at 100% because the amp draw is lower which means a lower total power draw.
But if you compare a GPU loaded at 100% that runs are 900mV and then at 1093mV, the setting at 900mV will always be cooler under the same scenario.

To lower GPU usage, you could setup a frame limiter. This will also result in lower temps. That in combination with undervolting, can gain you at least 5°C temp wise (but at the cost of a lower frame rate)

My Rig
(18 items)
CPU
Intel i7 8700k
Motherboard
Asus Hero X
GPU
MSI 1080TI Gaming X
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000C15
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair RM850X
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO
Cooling
Dual Hardware Labs Nemesis 360GTS with FD Venturi HP-12 PWM fans
Cooling
EK D5 PWM
Cooling
EK 1080 Strix waterblock + backplate
Case
Fractal Design Define R6
Operating System
Windows Pro 10
Monitor
Acer XB271HU 1440p 165hz IPS
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Zowie FK-2
Mousepad
Steel Series QCK Heavy
Audio
Sennheiser HD598 + ModMic 4.0
▲ hide details ▲
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 07:28 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 358 (Unique: 255)
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 03:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Just wondering if you guys change up your cooling configurations in any way to better cope with summer temperatures. If so how or what do you do? Has anyone found additional radiators helped? What sort of temps do you experience in summer? It's actually coming into winter where I live but I am still on a mission to figure out how to beat the summer heat during that season...
I generally drop the AC 2F on days I game and have a oscillating fan on low to be quiet blowing hot air towards the top of the open door. Never ate me to keep mic from shut wind noise away like so many have in the summer. Seems to suck in the cool air around and move heat out better. Generally the room is plus 5F and the machine runs 10F higher doing this for 3-4 months. It also adds all of like 15 buck to electric bill a month and still keeps my room and fans quiet.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 04:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
My triple barrel 13,500k fans are plenty, but for 4.6GHz I use the 240 AIO in a 4U case.
The 1U also works but the fans re so damn loud.
Depending on heat these open frame racks are sweet and catch any breeze.

But these PCs are used for outdoor festivals, fairs and corporate events.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in